Options

$99 HP Touchpad

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Ive been trying to look for one but I think its sold out. i went to amazon and hp website and they are all gone. grrr
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Ive been trying to look for one but I think its sold out. i went to amazon and hp website and they are all gone. grrr

you can get on the email list on the hp website they said they will email when in stock

edit : http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_TouchPad_Tablet/FB356UTABA/11394712/ has the 32 gig one
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    you can get on the email list on the hp website they said they will email when in stock

edit : http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_TouchPad_Tablet/FB356UTABA/11394712/ has the 32 gig one
    Thanks. I bought it for 170 after tax and shipping. That price is a steal! Its so nice to have that so i can read my pdf's while labbing.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I bought it for 170 after tax and shipping. That price is a steal! Its so nice to have that so i can read my pdf's while labbing.

Where did you buy it? I´ve been checking out websites but have only found out of stock.
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought 1 from costcentral and 2 from the amazon smartbuy deal via onsale, hopefully one of the two orders actually ships. When I placed my order at costcentral at 8 central it said they had 7k left in stock.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Lizano wrote: »
    Where did you buy it? I´ve been checking out websites but have only found out of stock.
    check www.costcentral.com
    Demonfurbie posted it. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    hopefully mine will ship i ordered it from amazon

if not hp.com will let ya sign up for a mailing list get on that anyway so when they get some in stock you can order (quickly) from them, they stated on the phone check daily but most likely wed~friday
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□

Ah, I missed that...think their website is currently though. I hit it once, haven't been able to hit it since.

It's not just you! http://costcentral.com looks down from here.

Darn...
  • Options
    hopefully mine will ship i ordered it from amazon

if not hp.com will let ya sign up for a mailing list get on that anyway so when they get some in stock you can order (quickly) from them, they stated on the phone check daily but most likely wed~friday
    yeah im kinda worried about costcentral. According to there website that they have stock and my order went through. I will see if they ship it on monday.

Lizano @ keep trying. It happened to me also. I had to try multiple times to get in. Probably their server giving up since everyone is looking for that tablet.
  • Options
    yeah im kinda worried about costcentral. According to there website that they have stock and my order went through. I will see if they ship it on monday.

Lizano @ keep trying. It happened to me also. I had to try multiple times to get in. Probably their server giving up since everyone is looking for that tablet.

im calling first thing monday morning on my way into work to confrim my order if not ill order quickly when i get the mail from hp

ill be praying not to get canceled i need one for school and im broke
  • Options
    phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yep i ordered one
    just for kindle/web browser alone its worth it

My thoughts exactly (going to happen in the next 10 min).
    My wife and I were able to get to our local BestBuy and buy 3 for us and our daughter (two 16's and one 32).
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Anybody following the Slickdeals thread on this? It's amazing how people are desperate trying to grab one. I was able to place an order for two 16 gigers on HP SMB site. We'll see if they start cancelling Monday morning.

That site went crazy! Lots of good information though for people during all of the online price drops.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    if they sell them all (and i think htey will) i wonder how long till someone ports android to it or makes an emulator for it to run android apps

the hardware is better than most of the other android tabs out there its just the os no one wants

It's been in the works since yesterday.

They are porting Gingerbread, skipping Honeycomb and going straight for Ice Cream Sandwich since its being released in the near future.

https://twitter.com/#!/trsohmers
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Anybody following the Slickdeals thread on this? It's amazing how people are desperate trying to grab one. I was able to place an order for two 16 gigers on HP SMB site. We'll see if they start cancelling Monday morning.

Been watching the thread all day. SD on fire with this haha.
    I grabbed a 32 gb from Costcentral but lets pray for non-cancellation :P
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    It's been in the works since yesterday.

They are porting Gingerbread, skipping Honeycomb and going straight for Ice Cream Sandwich since its being released in the near future.

https://twitter.com/#!/trsohmers

i was hoping for honeycomb but i guess i can wait for icecream it isnt far off i hope
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found the unofficial SD chat channel earlier today ( slickHP - Tinychat ). Lots of good info on there. I could end up with a couple extra for Christmas presents!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Add Insight, PC Connection and Geeks.com to the list of places that haven't dropped the price yet.

I took the "price alert" option at NewEgg. I'll have to get up early to check my E-mail for that one. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□

I about to check them out now and see
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just check and seems like the prices have skyrocketed.....I'm looking at a few and I see none cheaper than $460 icon_sad.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    so, I'm trying to order one. I did with BN.com. We'll see if I get it.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    michaelcox wrote: »
    so, I'm trying to order one. I did with BN.com. We'll see if I get it.

Just fired off an order as well. Surprised I didn't see a note from NewEgg in my inbox this morning about a price reduction.

Some of the big online majors have been shockingly slow on this one. I'm guessing their pricing people aren't aware yet, HP didn't extend the promotion to them, or they're using shared inventory through some sort of logistics situation that won't allow them to lower the price.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Best Buy is sold out.

Sears won't answer their damn phone, but says the price is the same.

Wal-Mart remove the link from their site and when you call a store, the fantastic people that work there say they can't look it up and can't look it up at other stores.

B&N is sold out.

Put in request for HP to send me notification and for newegg to send me notification.

Any other suggestions?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    For those interested I read that PC Connection will be releasing some units this morning. They are currently listed at $399 and $499 but will update price at some point today. God knows when that will be.
  • Options
    i called my credit card they have put a hold for the 105 for the one i ordered ... im not gonna order a case till i see the touchpad got shipped
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Came across this article while looking into buying one:
    Why You Should Avoid the HP TouchPad (Even at $99) - International Business Times

For those that have one already-given its lack of upgrades, support or expandability, would the TouchPad be adequate for simple web browsing (shopping, email, researching recipes, Facebook, etc.?)

EDIT-Just realized that it won't even allow Firefox web browser.....bummer....
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    MrRyte wrote: »
    Why You Should Avoid the HP TouchPad (Even at $99) - International Business Times

For those that have one already-given its lack of upgrades, support or expandability, would the TouchPad be adequate for simple web browsing (shopping, email, researching recipes, Facebook, etc.?)

I think it's worth it. Soon enough you'll be able to put honeycomb or ice cream sandwich on it. Though I've seen complaints about webOs being sluggish I did find some tweaks you can do to speed things up. Also, there is a good chance the OS will be licensed to another company and support would therefore continue.
  • Options

no matter what they said, the price is dirt cheap. It can do what Nook and IPAD2 are doing for a dirt cheap price. Its not the best touchpad like IPAD2 but it can play music and video, browse, store files and open pdf's.

The video and pdf sold me. I needed a touchpad when im at walmart to read pdf and watch videos at the restroom if you know what i mean. icon_thumright.gif:D
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The video and pdf sold me. I needed a touchpad when im at walmart to read pdf and watch videos at the restroom if you know what i mean. icon_thumright.gif:D

No, I don't know what you mean, and let's just keep it that way. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Just called PC Connection. They stated that they have them in stock, but no ETA on the price change. They will accept your name and phone number and will call you back when it does change though (at least Omar, the rep I got, wrote mind down).
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□

All of that is a moot point, as it will be running Android in a week or two at most. Until then it surfs the web and runs Nook/Kindle just fine (not to mention the web browser supports flash natively). Oh and it prints to pretty much any HP wireless printer right out of the box.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Came across another link that feels that the TouchPad is NOT worth it at $99-
    4 Reasons to Avoid the $99 HP TouchPad (Guide For Normal People) - International Business Times

Quote from the article:
    Keep in mind this guide is for the practical consumer. This is not for the gen-xers who would take the tablet apart, swap the CPU and write their own software to go onto it. This is for that person's mother. This is for the average, daily buyer who wants to get something that simply works. In fact, an enthusiast can refute each point of this article -- so this article isn't for them.

So how many of you actually plan on taking it apart and "frankenstein-ing" it to make more appeasing?icon_twisted.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.