Options

$99 HP Touchpad

Comments

• Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    Came across another link that feels that the TouchPad is NOT worth it at $99-
    4 Reasons to Avoid the $99 HP TouchPad (Guide For Normal People) - International Business Times

Quote from the article:

So how many of you actually plan on taking it apart and "frankenstein-ing" it to make more appeasing?icon_twisted.gif

The Nook 2 Android poeple are doing it, which means putting Android on it will be as simple as buying an SD card from them and inserting it in the Touchpad. For the first month or so it will require some rudimentary Android knowledge to do, but no one is going to be swapping the CPU or messing with the internals, that is just whoever wrote the article using extreme hyperbole to try and prove a bad point.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    zaxbysauce wrote: »
    All of that is a moot point, as it will be running Android in a week or two at most. Until then it surfs the web and runs Nook/Kindle just fine (not to mention the web browser supports flash natively). Oh and it prints to pretty much any HP wireless printer right out of the box.

Depends on how much time TeamAndroid has available to work on this port-- if they have absolutely nothing else to do, and no lives, yeah, I can see a week. :)

I'll just be happy if Gingerbread arrives before HP stops support in 4Q (and I doubt HP will stop support cold in 4Q. . . I think there will be some negligible web support available for some time after that).

Besides all the other possible WebOS futures mentioned already, I figure it's also possible HP could have some change of heart-- even if they don't start producing the tablets again, they might find a willing licensee. I'd have to think that this Touchpad fire sale has been like a mini-Black Friday for some retailers and got them traffic they wouldn't have had otherwise. Hopefully it's made an impression on the marketplace-- if people would run out to buy a quality tablet at $100, what would it take to make that happen again?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote:
    Depends on how much time TeamAndroid has available to work on this port-- if they have absolutely nothing else to do, and no lives, yeah, I can see a week.

They are already doing limited testing. I could see nightly builds being available in the next two weeks with a stable build in the next month or so. Considering Linux was already running on it before all this it is not a big jump to push Android.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Just snagged 2 32GB's from CDW with corporate discount, $140 a pop. GL if you're able to still get one from it, they had approx. 3,000 when they dropped and their site and internal systems have crashed several times from the amount of people.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope they still have some next week when I get paid.
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Still holding out hope I can track a couple down from somewhere. icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Still holding out hope I can track a couple down from somewhere. icon_surprised.gif

get on the newegg.com price drop email

and the hp.com email notifyer
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    You can try CDW, may take a while because their site is getting hit pretty hard. Before I got off the phone (about 20 min or so ago) they had a couple thousand 32GB's left but the 16GB's are gone.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CDW is now down.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    effekted wrote: »
    You can try CDW, may take a while because their site is getting hit pretty hard. Before I got off the phone (about 20 min or so ago) they had a couple thousand 32GB's left but the 16GB's are gone.
    Damn....I was kinda hoping to snag a 16GB. Oh well; guess an extra 16GB couldn't hurt....
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    Came across this article while looking into buying one:
    Why You Should Avoid the HP TouchPad (Even at $99) - International Business Times

For those that have one already-given its lack of upgrades, support or expandability, would the TouchPad be adequate for simple web browsing (shopping, email, researching recipes, Facebook, etc.?)

EDIT-Just realized that it won't even allow Firefox web browser.....bummer....

Again, I have the 2 year old palm pre with the same web browser. My only complaint is RAM as my 2 year old device only has 256 megs. Touchpad has 1GB
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    wait till nov and it will have android on it
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pays to have a CDW Rep, I have one watching out for me in case the orders are not fulfilled.
    Should know something by this evening.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    wonder if should just get one for $399 and then wait for a refund...HP said they were gonna refund people who bought it at full price.
  • Options
    Lizano wrote: »
    wonder if should just get one for $399 and then wait for a refund...HP said they were gonna refund people who bought it at full price.

if ya read the fine print its only if ya pay full price on the hp site
  • Options
    if ya read the fine print its only if ya pay full price on the hp site

yeah I thought you still buy for that price on the hp website, but just realized you cant.
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got a Order confirmation form PC express and then the site imploded, So I will wait and see.

Final order number sent, I got one.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    now that hp has killed webos i wonder how long till we get a firesale on the playbook from rim ... who also got dropped by hp
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    now that hp has killed webos i wonder how long till we get a firesale on the playbook from rim ... who also got dropped by hp

They havn't exactly killed webos, what they killed was the mobile market. I read that they plan on keeping webos and using it for other clases of devices.

I read somewhere that they plan on announcing in a few weeks the future of the platform be it selling it, or open sourcing it.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they plan on announcing in a few weeks the future of the platform be it selling it, or open sourcing it.

I would doubt open sourcing, more likely the options on the table are selling it or licensing it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    well i just got off the phone with amazon/onSale and they said i was going to be canceled if they cant get anymore from hp

something about i ordered after the stock was depleted. i guess ill have to wait on hp.com now
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    They havn't exactly killed webos, what they killed was the mobile market. I read that they plan on keeping webos and using it for other clases of devices.

I'm thinking this is WebOs' big break. Now that there are going to be 2 million devices in the wild running it, there is going to be a demand for app development and updates on it.
  • Options
    BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well i just got off the phone with amazon/onSale and they said i was going to be canceled if they cant get anymore from hp

something about i ordered after the stock was depleted. i guess ill have to wait on hp.com now

When did you order yours? I ordered one from them last night around 6 ET. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    BobbyDC wrote: »
    When did you order yours? I ordered one from them last night around 6 ET. icon_sad.gif

5:30 central

we will either get cancellation emails or confirmation emails on tuesday

i also called hp they will be getting the last of the stock anytime so sign up for the notifier on there site just be quick when ya get the email
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    petedude wrote: »
    Depends on how much time TeamAndroid has available to work on this port-- if they have absolutely nothing else to do, and no lives, yeah, I can see a week. :)

I'll just be happy if Gingerbread arrives before HP stops support in 4Q (and I doubt HP will stop support cold in 4Q. . . I think there will be some negligible web support available for some time after that).

The lead guy on this project is a goober teenager with no life according to himself so it will be out soon.

Touch-droid.com

Home
  • Options
    BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    5:30 central

we will either get cancellation emails or confirmation emails on tuesday

i also called hp they will be getting the last of the stock anytime so sign up for the notifier on there site just be quick when ya get the email

That sucks. :/ So far I've had orders cancelled from ecost, B&N, and CDW. lol
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Went to BB; the guy at the store said that all of the BB's in San Antonio have been sold out since Saturday evening. So unless HP has made a final shipment of the TouchPad, suffice to say that they're ALL GONE.......allout.gif

Damn; really needed to get one too....icon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    BobbyDC wrote: »
    That sucks. :/ So far I've had orders cancelled from ecost, B&N, and CDW. lol

Yup, just got a cancellation from one of these myself.

Now I have to wait on HP and NewEgg. icon_sad.gif
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    well hp.com says they will get more instock at that price so we will see
  • Options
    well hp.com says they will get more instock at that price so we will see

Here is my question... why $100? I can see why they weren't selling for $400. So why not try $300 or even $200. I'm sure even at $200 they would be flying off the shelves. Maybe it would take a week rather than just a few hours but it would be a ton more money into their pocket.