• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    humm according to the bestbuy website they have a 16 gig locally
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    BobbyDC wrote: »
    So he's a poor college student who really needs money and he REALLY wants a touchpad even tho he posted the listing from his ipad?

No, I think he's an Apple fanatic who's parodying the whole HP fire sale thing. Again, I'd be surprised if some news outlet doesn't pick up on this within a few days (and no, I'm NOT going to be the one to tell them). I have to say, it's funny enough to merit 15 minutes of fame. Maybe The Onion should hire him. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Now that I finally got my Touchpad from Best Buy this morning, I can get back to my normal posting...lolicon_lol.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    FYI, got an email from HP today (was on the waitlist) saying that they apologize, but it will be a couple weeks before they have more of their limited stock. They offered a 25% off coupon on HP products in the email, as a way of saying sorry.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    I want one even more now.
    LOL......I feel you. People look at me crazy when I bring up the fact that I like WebOS as a tablet OS way more than I like Android. For what I do, WebOS is more than capable. SSH (check), great browser (check), Adobe Reader (check), Flash Card system with a web tool that I can use for studying (check), true multitasking (double check) and Pandora. I hate that HP didn't push it harder because it is an awesome platform. I will they just open source it and unleash all of the potential. Dah well....lol

*finishing up my FlashCards for webOS set before I head home*
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i really dislike the folk who bought them to purposefully sell on at a higher price. Deuchebags.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    nel wrote: »
    i really dislike the folk who bought them to purposefully sell on at a higher price. Deuchebags.

Capitalism at its best. . . or worst.

Generally, I'm more annoyed at the notion Best Buy employees were buying them to resell.

It would've been nice if HP and large retailers had limited the quantities per purchase, but oh well.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    LOL......I feel you. People look at me crazy when I bring up the fact that I like WebOS as a tablet OS way more than I like Android. For what I do, WebOS is more than capable. SSH (check), great browser (check), Adobe Reader (check), Flash Card system with a web tool that I can use for studying (check), true multitasking (double check) and Pandora. I hate that HP didn't push it harder because it is an awesome platform. I will they just open source it and unleash all of the potential. Dah well....lol

*finishing up my FlashCards for webOS set before I head home*

I second this for the phone. I've never used something so simple and organized.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I finally got my Touchpad, pretty impressive device. Pretty snappy, but it's just missing something. I can't put my finger on it but I still like it.
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    I can't put my finger on it but I still like it.
    Kind of negates the usefulness of a touchscreen.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    zaxbysauce wrote: »

That just made my day. Thank you!
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    HP vows one last TouchPad run

Looks like one last run ....

Hot diggety dog! Been trying to get my hands on one but I don't care enough to camp out at Best Buy...I'm stuck in "tech envy with a touch of laziness limbo" :)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HP Communities - More TouchPads on the Way - HP Communities

Well; there's some hope after all.....but how do we get on the waiting list?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    MrRyte wrote: »
    HP Communities - More TouchPads on the Way - HP Communities

Well; there's some hope after all.....but how do we get on the waiting list?

I don't think they have one. My understanding is they will blast out an email to all that have signed up to be notified when available (which is no longer taking names last I checked) and then it will be a first come first serve.

Price is also unknown. I can't see how they would make more to sell for $99. An article I read says the hardware in the 16GB alone is $300. Intentionally taking a $200/unit loss seems dumb unless they think that they will be able to license out WebOS to make all of that back.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I don't think they have one. My understanding is they will blast out an email to all that have signed up to be notified when available (which is no longer taking names last I checked) and then it will be a first come first serve.

Price is also unknown. I can't see how they would make more to sell for $99. An article I read says the hardware in the 16GB alone is $300. Intentionally taking a $200/unit loss seems dumb unless they think that they will be able to license out WebOS to make all of that back.

The problem for HP is that if they raise the price too much, it'll kill the demand.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    The problem for HP is that if they raise the price too much, it'll kill the demand.

I completely agree with the demand thing. But you can't start selling $20 bills for $10. That is why I'm leary of this. HP might be thinking the sudden movement is because people want the touchpad. In reality people just want a tablet and don't want to be throwing $300 or $400 around. I guess we will just have to wait and see, but I won't be surprised by an increase.
  • Options
    Anybody actually SEE a Nook app for Touchpad/WebOS?

Granted, it's a high-quality gadget, but if I can't get eReader apps for at least two of the three majors (Amazon, B&N, Kobo) it might not be worth the wait or the expense.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

I heart you for this line
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    . . .In reality people just want a tablet and don't want to be throwing $300 or $400 around. I guess we will just have to wait and see, but I won't be surprised by an increase.

That's a good question-- what direction will HP take with this?

My guess is it's primarily a way to keep from having bad feelings over the HP brand. If that's the case, they'll mark the price down as low as they believe they reasonably can, and that's that.

Maybe they should have kept building them, taken a loss for a year or two, then aggressively retooled the model and renegotiated costs with their suppliers? We might never know.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    carbonatedcarbonated Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At this price...think i'll be heading to best buy & frys tonight to see whats left
  • Options
    carbonated wrote: »
    At this price...think i'll be heading to best buy & frys tonight to see whats left

It has been gone everywhere for about 2 weeks now. Your best bet is to wait until their next shipment comes. Or pay the markups and buy one off ebay.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Components would have already been bought months ago for this last run and the factory is contracted to build them anyway. Cancelling it all along with the penalties for breaking the various contracts and trying to resell the components would be a huge hassle and cost a lot.

As evident by the prices on eBay, people are willing to pay around $200 for a tablet so the $99 price point that HP chose for the firesale is too low. They could have made significantly less of a loss or sold at cost price and I think people would have still bought it.

They're claiming they're still committed to WebOS in general but we'll have to see how that pans out. They also said they're going to support the Touchpad still as well so software development isn't stopping. HP seem to like saying one thing and then doing something completely different the next day. There is a serious lack of communication within HP.
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    There is a serious lack of communication within HP.

This is HP's primary problem. It seems like every other day news comes out stating how one segment of the company had no idea what was going on in another segment.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    This is HP's primary problem. It seems like every other day news comes out stating how one segment of the company had no idea what was going on in another segment.

Which means they're too %#$@ big. Maybe it's a good thing they're looking to spin stuff off.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FYI, got an email from HP today (was on the waitlist) saying that they apologize, but it will be a couple weeks before they have more of their limited stock. They offered a 25% off coupon on HP products in the email, as a way of saying sorry.

I remember receiving that email a little while back. I see they are trying to increase their client base with discounts....hmmm, wonder was that their plan all along seeing how they were doing to sell out their inventory..lol
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    I just can't get excited over a phone OS on a tablet but I'm enjoying my Touchpad. All I want is the GPU to be used to it's full potential, the option to run both cores all the time, and free tabbed browsing....lol.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Got my $99 Touchpad from Newegg yesterday. I find it ridiculously slow compared to my iPad 2. On many occasions I had to tap twice so it would actually click what I wanted. The whole experience was reminiscent of a ChinaPad I got back in March. Good thing it's for my wife to read PDFs and do Facebook. I couldn't live with it.