Options

Router loopback and ping questions

reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
Hello all, got a question for you Cisco/router types. I encountered this at work today and kind of wondered. Suppose I have a 7500 serie routers on either end of a dedicated link and they are not getting connectivity. The only thing that separates these routers on the line side is a DSX (digital cross connect) patch panel. Suppose I looped one side of the DSX panel. Now, most routers when looking at the interface will say line up, protocol up, looped, when there is a loop up somewhere down the line. My question is, if you telnetted into router A, pinged the IP address of router B, would the echo packets come back clean/no loss, or would the echo packets come back as "destination unreachable" as there really isn't another router on the other end, but merely a loopback imitating one. I figure that ICMP echo packets are the same coming to, and from destination (afterall, that's why they call them echo packets). I also figured if I did an extended ping with a loopback, I could further my argument that the problem is not on our side, but after the demarcation point. Anything can notice a loop on line side, but true connectivity is another thing. That is what I'm wanting to accomplish with this scenario. I am also wondering if there is anything related to this that may have to do with frequency of routing table updates. Thanks for any thoughts. icon_cool.gif
Reloaded~4~Ever

Comments

• Options
    NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can ping it if the encapsulation is HDLC, but it won't work with ppp. When I'm troubleshooting connectivity issues I will often change the encap to HDLC to do the very thing you have described.
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine