Options

Time for a home lab upgrade?

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
Waiting for my ICND2 books to arrive, as I didn't want to order them until I passed ICND1, and have been going over the CBT nuggets and noticing some of the things being done might require a bit more equipment.

My home lab currently consists of the following...

2x - 1760's - each with 2x WIC-1T cards.
1x - 2620xm - NM4A/S Module.
2x - 3550 Switches - EMI
1x - 2950 Switch EI

I know the ideal set up for frame relay is a 4th router with another NM4A/S or 8A/s. Is there any use outside of that?

Suggestions? Or should this suffice for ICND2? I'll be using this to move into CCNP studies once I pass ICND2 so, that's something to keep in mind.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For the ICND2, a 4th router with a pair of WIC-2T's, a NM-4A/S, or a NM-8A/S for frame relay will help, but you can get by with what you have assuming you have decent enough IOS images on everything. You can still do more interesting frame relay topologies with your 3 routers like in this blog post (see the A Brief Aside section).

For the CCNP, you'll probably need a 4th router and a 2nd L3 switch.
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    I really want an 2511 Access Server, so I'll probably be grabbing one of those.

I think I will grab another 2620xm with an NM4A/S, unless I would need the 8 ports from an 8A/S more? I'd like to have everything down well, and having the extra router for CCNP studies won't hurt, I'm sure. It's just a matter of which module would be better suited.

In regards to the switches, I have 2x 3550 EMI switches, and 1x 2950. The 3550's should be layer 3, so is that good or are you suggesting I will need an additional one?

As for IOS versions, let's just say that's not a concern.
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    i think alan says it all,you have perfect equipments for the icnd2
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SdotLow wrote: »
    I really want an 2511 Access Server, so I'll probably be grabbing one of those.

I think I will grab another 2620xm with an NM4A/S, unless I would need the 8 ports from an 8A/S more? I'd like to have everything down well, and having the extra router for CCNP studies won't hurt, I'm sure. It's just a matter of which module would be better suited.

In regards to the switches, I have 2x 3550 EMI switches, and 1x 2950. The 3550's should be layer 3, so is that good or are you suggesting I will need an additional one?

As for IOS versions, let's just say that's not a concern.

You'll probably be happier with a 2511 than anything else at this point. :)

I mean a second L3 switch. A 3560 would be nice, but a 3550 will suffice. A few people have said they got through the CCNP with one 3550 and a couple 2950's though.

I don't think you'll really need an NM-8 over an NM-4 for any associate or professional level exam, but last time I looked, the NM-8a/s cost so little more than the NM-4a/s it's worth considering. Like I often say, you can never have too many ports.