Options

clear arp cache, clear ip route cmds

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,
I'm using packet tracer and i thought i'd experiment with the clear arp-cache and clear ip route * commands but they don't appear to actually work. I verified the arp cache and ip route commands before and after implementing the clear ones. Nothing was deleted. I am using packet tracer.
Does anyone know why it isn't working for me? it maybe my interpretation of what the command does that could be wrong? i assumed it would delete the entries?

thanks
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Well, sure, but it's going to relearn them, the arp cache through arp requests or activity on the link, or through routing protocol updates. Otherwise issuing those commands would kill all connectivity.

Now, PT may be putting them back faster than you'd see in normal production, since it's an emulated format instead of a real or virtualized one, but the routing table and arp cache will refresh in normal operation.

To see if the commands function like you'd expect, try changing some configurations, then clearing the caches, you should see them update with new information.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey, thanks a lot for your help! sorted!:)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.