Options

PT - Host PC's not working?

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
I feel like I'm missing something stupid, but I just can't seem to get hosts to connect to my network using PT. Just dead red links.

I've checked the cables and they're using straight through cables. I even through a second switch onto the first switch, and that lights up fine. It's just the hosts. I've tried DHCP and static addressing, neither work. And yes the host PC's are on.

Anyone experience this before? At work currently so I don't have access to it, but I will in 3 hours.

Comments

• Options
    phobophilephobophile Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you checked the duplex settings on the hosts? In my experience with Packet Tracer, if the switch interfaces are set to Full-Duplex, it will cause a duplex mismatch (for whatever reason, the hosts then change to Half-Duplex the moment you make the change on the switch interface).

You can also debug all on the switch, and see why the port is not coming up.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    check the simple stuff. The lights should go green with the default config just like a real switch. Packet tracer can be buggy you might have to start over. If you want when you get home post your switch config or even the packet tracer file.

Did you try adding another switch and connecting the pc to it to see what happens?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make sure you're plugged into the Ethernet port. I believe it's the serial port it'll let you plug into, and I do that all the time.
  • Options
    Yes, I checked all duplex settings. I checked all of the PC settings with a fine tooth comb. Everything is fine on that front.

All of my 10 routers are green and moving packets. Both of the switches coming off of the router are green and moving data. Those PC hosts are the only things not working properly.

I triple checked all of the port connections and wires. Made sure they were all going through FA connections.

I did try adding another PC to the second switch I had going into the main switch but had no luck with that one either. I also hadn't read about VLAN and trunk ports so...

I did not debug the switch! I will try that when I get home. I will also try and figure out how to upload a copy of the PT file when I get home. I can't help but feel it's a bug or something I'm running into.
  • Options
    Also, has anyone had any experience with the Todd Lammle Sybex 7th addition CCNA labs? The ones with his book? Wondering if I should even bother setting up PT labs for various things or if I can just use what he provides.
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    SdotLow,
    As gosh said ,by default the light should change to green if you connect those hosts to the switch ,but yours showing red is kind of funny.But before setting the duplex check what duplex the switch is set to, but i think by default the duplex are set to full .Check the duplex by using show interface command on the switch int was connecting to the host i.( sh int fa0/1 or sh int fa1/1) to know the duplex.Also try to check your switch configuration very well,sometimes we may miss some commands that are not visible to us very well.Just take your time to see all through.
  • Options
    andy4tech wrote: »
    SdotLow,
    As gosh said ,by default the light should change to green if you connect those hosts to the switch ,but yours showing red is kind of funny.But before setting the duplex check what duplex the switch is set to, but i think by default the duplex are set to full .Check the duplex by using show interface command on the switch int was connecting to the host i.( sh int fa0/1 or sh int fa1/1) to know the duplex.Also try to check your switch configuration very well,sometimes we may miss some commands that are not visible to us very well.Just take your time to see all through.

Yeah, I understand your skepticism. I've reconfigured my home lab with real equipment atleast 50 times to practice for my CCENT(conservative estimate). I'm pretty comfortable setting up switches. I even went through the steps in a lab I have printed out for setting up a switch, just to make sure I didn't miss a step. Everything was working ok, except those darned hosts.

I manually set the duplex on both multiple times. I've been beating my head against this for a week or so before bothering to post here. I wasn't sure if PT might be buggy, but if so, that's probably what is going on.
  • Options
    Was definitely a bug. Copied the running config from the switch to notepad, removed the switches and PC's. Put in a new switch and did not connect to router, pasted running config in, connected a PC and green light. Connected router and DHCP was applied. Very odd.

Thanks for the assistance.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Was definitely a bug. Copied the running config from the switch to notepad, removed the switches and PC's. Put in a new switch and did not connect to router, pasted running config in, connected a PC and green light. Connected router and DHCP was applied. Very odd.

Thanks for the assistance.

You know... I think they ought to change the software name to Bug Tracer if that's what they want us to do. Hey Cisco! I found a bug. Should I report it? Nah, it's probably not worth our time since they still want to make us even more miserable. icon_lol.gif