Subject Matter Experts needed for September 19-23

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Another email just came in.

PC Repair/Troubleshooting Experts needed for New A+ Exam Workshop

CompTIA is looking for IT professionals who have extensive experience in the field of PC troubleshooting, repair and support to be involved in updating our CompTIA A+ certification exam.

During this exam development workshop, subject matter experts will create and review performance-based items for the exam.

SMEs will validate the skills and knowledge required to be a successful PC technician. IT professionals with a strong technical background, at least two years current experience in troubleshooting Microsoft Windows operating systems and PC hardware, including motherboard components, and who are CompTIA A+ certified are preferred. Android and Apple iOS operating system experience will also be helpful, as well as any experience with performance-based questions. Assistance from subject matter experts is crucial to providing an industry relevant exam.

SMEs receive a $300 a day stipend for the 5-day workshop, as well as provided meals during the 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. working days. Travel and lodging expenses are the responsibility of each subject matter expert (although CompTIA has recommendations for nearby accommodations with reasonable rates). Recognition for SMEs includes a listing on the CompTIA website pending full participation in the program. And, you'll have the personal satisfaction of knowing that you are helping others who come behind you.

When: September 19-23, 2011
Where: CompTIA Headquarters, Downers Grove, IL. Downers Grove is a western suburb of Chicago accessible by O'Hare and Midway airports.

Only professionals currently working in the PC repair and support field should apply. Although CompTIA appreciates interest from the training community, applications from trainers, authors, or individuals who may profit or materially benefit from knowledge of the CompTIA A+ credential content are not eligible to participate. If you have questions about the application process, email examdev@comptia.org.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow they might look to add phone support on the A+
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm trying to get in on this, but I haven't had any luck yet. icon_sad.gif
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Another email just came in.

I think they should provide a stipend to cover expenses and a wage. Comptia make a packet out of their exams. They offer an exam and go to joe public to write it for them?
    Turgon wrote: »
    I think they should provide a stipend to cover expenses and a wage. Comptia make a packet out of their exams. They offer an exam and go to joe public to write it for them?

$300 a day should be plenty if you are near by. If you are further a way (many states away) it might be different.
    $300 a day should be plenty if you are near by. If you are further a way it might be different.

My point is I really think they should pay a wage on top of this. They would get more quality applicants for one thing. I have no real issues with this either way as Im not an A+ guy, and its fine that Comptia want to bring field experts in, but the core material should be generated by Comptia and the consultants brought in well paid. Do you really want to fail an exam because some dude with 2 years PC support experience who needs 300 dollars a day provided some of the questions?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would have no problem with $300 a day. Even after a hotel, that should still put $1,000 in my pocket. Take a week of vacation and get my normal salary plus a grand and a trip. I could do that.
    My point is I really think they should pay a wage on top of this. They would get more quality applicants for one thing. I have no real issues with this either way as Im not an A+ guy, and its fine that Comptia want to bring field experts in, but the core material should be generated by Comptia and the consultants brought in well paid. Do you really want to fail an exam because some dude with 2 years PC support experience who needs 300 dollars a day provided some of the questions?

I have a feeling that they audit them better than that. I had to fill out information as well as send them my resume. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I understand what you are saying, and I think they could pay more.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I would have no problem with $300 a day. Even after a hotel, that should still put $1,000 in my pocket. Take a week of vacation and get my normal salary plus a grand and a trip. I could do that.

Fair enough but I still think they should stump up more. This is helping Comptia's bottom line. You could be on holiday.
    I have a feeling that they audit them better than that. I had to fill out information as well as send them my resume. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I understand what you are saying, and I think they could pay more.

I sure hope so. I can imagine the hordes of unemployed PC techs swamping them with CVs! Im sure you will be a great contributor so good luck with it.
    I sure hope so. I can imagine the hordes of unemployed PC techs swamping them with CVs! Im sure you will be a great contributor so good luck with it.

First I have to be accepted icon_lol.gif
    First I have to be accepted icon_lol.gif

I think I'm going to apply for this too, but I doubt I get selected.
    I applied today. Any idea how long it takes them to get back to you with a yay or nay?