Options

Starting 70-640

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Active Director is my next class at WGU and I have a few questions. WGU provides you LabSim and Ucertify for resources. I want to say that these will not be enough to pass the course as I want to get the official Microsoft book for this (does this have labs in it?).

Also, with building a lab, will creating a lab out of nothing but virtual machines on desktop be enough to do what I need to do?

I am very exciting about this class. However, I am not sure what my come over from 2003. I took the Server 2003 classes during my associates, so I have some exposure to it.

Any help would be great. I'll also be looking at the stickies that are on here for 70-640.

Thanks
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    certnerdcertnerd Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Is it a MOC course you are doing? If so the labs are all pre built on Hyper V. You get demonstrations done by the instructor, then do exercises on the virtual labs.

Least you do at the college I attended for Cisco training.
  • Options
    jrbush82jrbush82 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are a WGU student, you should have access to the MSDNAA. I highly recommend downloading copies of Windows Server 2008 R2 and working through the material hands on via virtual machines. This will expose you to a little more than the lab simulators and I think give you a much better understanding of how things work. Having taken the 70-640 test and passed it, I'm not sure how well I would have done without the hands on experience.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    The ms press book for 70-640 r2 is on books 24x7
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am not much for ebooks and really need a hard copy, so I have already purchased and received the ms press book.

Also done a little labbing with the server 2008 that I have downloaded along with vmware workstation 7. I am heading to Atalanta for two weeks of training so I hope that my laptop can handle one virtual machine.

Thanks again for the help.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    jrbush82 wrote: »
    Having taken the 70-640 test and passed it, I'm not sure how well I would have done without the hands on experience.

So true. Lab like there is no tomorrow. Once you figure something out, blow it away and do it all over again.