Options

MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit - Not for Beginners

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I picked up the MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core Requirements, Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294 and I have to say these books are not for beginners.

They make the assumption you already have experience dealing with Windows 2003 servers. Of course if you already have experience with the Windows 2003 why would you pick up the book in the first place? icon_confused.gif

I find a lot of concepts are not covered properly (Active Directory) and the labs dive into steps which are not fully explained (Connect to the remote computer, for this exerise. Huh? How the heck do I do this?) icon_rolleyes.gif

I have go back to amazon.com again to find a good book that explains about Windows 2003 fully and plainly.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I found this to be good for starters on 2003,

Hands-On Microsoft Windows Server 2003 , 0619186089.

Just start at the beginning and stay with it, work the examples, etc., and you will get a pretty good introductory background on the OS.
    This is from a series of books on the system. There's one on networking and one on Active Directory. But just try this one and it should get you started.

I think that the first problem with the M$ kit, is that it is assumed that you have some experience with Windows 2000 Server. But, if you start with this one, you should then be able to jump into the M$ kits.

Remember, this is not a study guide for certification. There aren't any practice exams and the answers to the review questions are not in the book because it was intended for classroom use.

You should be able to get a decent used copy for a lot less than new price.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki