Cisco Certifications

BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have finished my CompTIA goals and decided to take the dive into CCNA, I plan to do the ICND1&2 separately. I have never worked in the IT field before let alone any type of Cisco gear do you think its possible to do this without experienceicon_confused.gif:
Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi

Comments

• GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Blackout wrote: »
    I have finished my CompTIA goals and decided to take the dive into CCNA, I plan to do the ICND1&2 separately. I have never worked in the IT field before let alone any type of Cisco gear do you think its possible to do this without experienceicon_confused.gif:

Sure, don't worry about getting a certificate if you are willing to Study

CBT videos
    Sybex- Todd Lammle book
    and a simulation (like a packet tracer)

will be definetely enough to achieve this goal....
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had read some good things about netsim so decided to give it a shot, anything wrong with netsim?

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Yes.

But you may want to get some hardware for a home lab to get some hands on experience.

Some people pass with only using simulators (packet tracer , gsn3(free)) but if you have never used cisco equipment you will want to get some hands on experience
    especially if you want to use it to go for a networking job

You could just get a few switches and use gsn3 to simulate the routers
    or get 2 to 3 routers and 2 to 3 switches.

Can expect to spend between $250 to 500 for a reasonable lab set up
    depending on what hardware you go for.

1721's or 1751's can go for as little as 0.99 + p&h
    1760's
    2600xm's

switches
    2950's
    and at least 1 or 2 3550's (L3)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    alxx wrote: »
    Yes.

But you may want to get some hardware for a home lab to get some hands on experience.

Some people pass with only using simulators (packet tracer , gsn3(free)) but if you have never used cisco equipment you will want to get some hands on experience
    especially if you want to use it to go for a networking job

You could just get a few switches and use gsn3 to simulate the routers
    or get 2 to 3 routers and 2 to 3 switches.

Can expect to spend between $250 to 500 for a reasonable lab set up
    depending on what hardware you go for.

1721's or 1751's can go for as little as 0.99 + p&h
    1760's
    2600xm's

switches
    2950's
    and at least 1 or 2 3550's (L3)

The reason Im avoiding this route for the moment is that I live in Japan, it would be very hard to get them here and would cost a fortune in shipping. Second is that im moving from Japan back to the states in 8 months, I really don't want to build anything in this house since im going to be starting to box things up regardless.
    I do appreciate the insight, and I have thought about these things but I need to go with what is practical atm.

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sure, anything is possible :)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    The reason Im avoiding this route for the moment is that I live in Japan, it would be very hard to get them here and would cost a fortune in shipping. Second is that im moving from Japan back to the states in 8 months, I really don't want to build anything in this house since im going to be starting to box things up regardless.
    I do appreciate the insight, and I have thought about these things but I need to go with what is practical atm.

Could get just one small router like a 1721
    They are about 30cm by 20cm by 10cm

Look at gsn3 and packet tracer and whatever other simulators you can get your hands on.

GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator

see Documentation | GNS3 especially the youtube vids
    and Free CCNA Workbook

packet tracer as you'll get to use it in the exams.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ship to APO!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Ship to APO!

I looked at it and its still 60 dollars for shipping and an estimated 2-4 months for delivery. If anything I will knock out the ccent and build a lab when I get back to the states and settled in my new job.

• asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had read some good things about netsim so decided to give it a shot, anything wrong with netsim?

For self preparation, netsim is good to start with. Try the following:

CertExams: CCNA Network Simulator Designer

Boson: CCNA Network Simulator - NetSim 8.0 - 640-802

There are several labs available with netsims that provide scenario questions similar to that of actual certs. Compared with CompTIA certs line Network+ helps in getting started with CCNA.

Good luck!
    So apparently after telling my father I wanted to pursue my CCNA he has taken over as my biggest supporter.

A little background my father works as a project manager for a specific government contractor, he has been pushing me for years to get involved in IT, not because he wanted it but because its been my dream since I was 14 to work in the field, but I never had the motivation. Well I got married and realized 12 months from separation oh **** I have a family I have to take care of now. So I got motivated and started my comptia certs. Now that I have started studying I can't stop now.
    I told my wife that after I finished Sec+ I would take a month off to spend with the family, but Im so thirsty to learn more I have decided to start the CCNA which is why I started this thread.
    Ok the reason I started giving you background, my dad who has become my biggest supporter over my wife has told me that he wants to buy me a lab for my birthday, but im nervous about saying yes. What if I can't pass the CCNA? Do you think I should let him buy me the lab or should I just continue studying with a simulator?

• odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Get a lab. Once you start the cisco track you will most likely continue. Nothing beats real hardware.

I used PT, but I started hating it. The commands were slightly different in some places and I felt it messed me up more than it helped. You can't do many of the swithing labs on PT either.
    3 routers and 2-3 switches is a good start. Plus some serial wics, cables. Get a serial 4a/s so you can do frame relay.

Research the hardware first. You learn a ton of information and money as well. there are plenty of threads on the forum already.

Good luck.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
    So a quick question for you cisco super nerds.... Im going to get a lab but I need suggestions, I don't need anything super, any suggestions on what would be the bare minimum I could use and effectively learn?

I will be building a bigger lab when I get back to the states for now I wanna keep it very efficient.

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So a quick question for you cisco super nerds.... Im going to get a lab but I need suggestions, I don't need anything super, any suggestions on what would be the bare minimum I could use and effectively learn?

I will be building a bigger lab when I get back to the states for now I wanna keep it very efficient.

If you are in Japan I take it you dont want the hassle and expense of shipping gear back to the States?

Grab 3 x Cisco 2501's and a 2520 as your frame switch (I think its 2520..anyway one with 4 serial ports). Get AUI adapters, get serial cables. Get a switch. Get a terminal server. Have fun.

All the above should spin out pretty cheap and teach you a lot. I still have 2500's in my home lab. Take the term server back to the US. Jettison the rest on ebay. Buy better gear back in the US.
    Thank you for the quick response! Im gonna research these. Thank you.

• CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    My suggestion:

Use GNS3 to simulate your routers, and buy a couple 2950's and a 3550 for your switching. You can connect your routers within GNS3 on your computer to your Real Cisco switches. This is by far the most cost efficient method which gives you the ability to expand your topology very rapidly with minimum cost to you.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Thanks and good luck with your studies!