Options

CompTIA Sec+ vs. CWSP

rwingacerwingace Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could help explain the differences between the CompTIA Security+ and the CWSP certifications?

I am taking the CWNA exam next week and will be preparing for another certification soon after. My company has a deal for a CompTIA Security+ training prep course and was thinking about doing that. However, I do already have the study guide for the CWSP and was originally planning on getting that after the CWNA test.

So basically my questions are:
1) What are the differences between Sec+ and CWSP?
2) Is one worthwhile more than the other?
3) Is it worth getting both of them or is it not worth it?

Just so you know to my company is paying for all of the fees, so its no extra cost for me. Therefore, cost is not a consideration.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Two different certs. CWSP is geared for wireless, where Sec+ covers wired and wireless. You can take CWSP, however you will not be granted the cert till you take and pass CWNA. I think it would be worthwhile to have both.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The CWSP has a wireless focus where as the Security+ deals with info on all security related topics. CWSP will be more of how to secure a wireless network and what encryption methods you can use various things like that.

If I where you I would take the Security+ since it will cost you nothing and it will only help you understand the technology better in the CWSP.

Also the Sec+ is DOD 8570 cert and as far as I know the CWSP is not.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    If you are into 802.11 enough to get the CWSP, both certs are worth getting. You can study for the Security+ and CWSP at the same time, but there is very little overlapping information. The "security" in the CWSP is all about 802.11 and IP. The Security+ coverage of "security" is much, much broader than that. Try comparing the objectives for both exams to see the difference.
  • Options
    rwingacerwingace Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. I will probably eventually get both.

Just as some background I just started working for a consulting firm that specializes in Wireless technologies, anything from cellphones to radios to wireless networking. I have an MSEE in Communications and Signal Processing and came from a company as an RF Design Engineer. Therefore, I am very knowledgable when it comes to the physical medium and RF technologies, but I'm lacking a bit on the MAC layer and IT networking aspects. So, that is my reasoning behind the certifications.

On a sidenote, do you know if I need to get the Network+ before I can get the Security+?
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No there is no requirement to get the n+ but CompTIA recommends n+ before. It is doable without. Just study hard for the sec+ and you won't have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rwingace wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could help explain the differences between the CompTIA Security+ and the CWSP certifications?

So basically my questions are:
    1) What are the differences between Sec+ and CWSP?
    2) Is one worthwhile more than the other?
    3) Is it worth getting both of them or is it not worth it?

1: Like others have said CWSP is wireless focused and S+ is general security. I'd say CWSP is a step up in difficulty. I haven't sat the exam but I do have the book and it seems pretty intense. I'll be sitting it sometime next year more than likely.

2: S+ is probably better known but CWSP does have it's worth.

3: Get them both.

I think the CWSP will be a good into to topics covered in the OWSP: Wireless Security Training - BackTrack Wifu Online and GAWN: Information Security Certification - GIAC

Both the OWSP and GAWN look very, very interesting but I don't think either are too popular. I could see myself going for GAWN one day but OWSP would need to be updated to something beyond wep before I would consider it.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As far as difficulty goes Sec+ is about a 2 and CWSP is about a 4, a note on that a 10 would be CCIE or GSE. It depends on the jobs you are shooting for as to which is worth more to you. CWSP is highly respected but you are expected to have experience or knowledge of actual wireless networking for jobs. At the same time CWSP provides proof of a professional level of knowledge in Wireless and Wireless Security. Sec+ is good for qualifying for a large number of DoD jobs and does provide a broad but very shallow look into the world of security.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology