Options

Resume Looks Unrelated, needs serious help :\

ubermichubermich Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I need some serious help. I'm in a bind in a bad way. I have an opportunity most folks would kill for and I'm completely (on paper) unqualified. The catch is that I can learn anything in 2 weeks. (ie. bumper-to-bumper ASE certified auto repair in 3 months). I'm taking my 220-701 tomorrow and my 220-702 Friday, but my contact at my potential employer wants my resume tonight. '02-'04 I took the Cisco CCNA program at my high school and did very well, but didn't take the test (even though it would have been free icon_redface.gif) because I was young and dumb. And I dropped out of Electrical Engineering, while I was doing well (3.2 GPA) because I was young, dumb, and didn't want to work at a desk all day. I served my time in the real world fixing cars and now my resume is a certified national disaster area. Please help?

Me

My Address

Email: me@gmail.com
Phone: 555-555-5555

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Profile[/FONT]

Self-driven, loyal, precise, fast responder for all manners of tasks obsessed with learning and growing to be more useful to more people.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Experience[/FONT]

Self-Employed: Technical Photographer – Automotive Repair
Subcontracted through American Guardian Warranty Service, Inc. and Carr Appraisals, Inc.
Skills Include:
-Owning/operating business including all aspects of time management, technicial support, customer relations, and accounting/bookkeeping.
-Technical writing to convey complex situations to contract managers offsite.
-Effective communication with customers at various levels to maintain a cooperative reputation.
-Maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing information systems to ensure ability to receive and transmit reports and photos.

Automotive Technician – _____ _____ ______

Address, Phone

Supervisor: _________

Skills Include:
-Diagnosing, repairing, and maintaining all systems on the entire ____ line of vehicles.
-Specialized in electrical systems including reading complex schematics and understanding unpublished internal schematics of control modules to diagnose faults.

Automotive Technician – ______ _______

Address, Phone

Supervisor: ___________

Skills Include:
-Specialized in electrical systems. Several times this required direct communication with _____ engineers in Sweden and once resulted in the publishing of a Technical Service Bulliten.
-Assisted customers directly, at times after-hours, to provide the best customer service possible.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Education[/FONT]
_____ County College
Local, ST ZIP

Associate in Teaching, graduating spring 2012

University of ____ at ____

Local, ST ZIP

35 credits toward B.S. Electrical Engineering before degree change

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Certifications[/FONT]
-ASE Master Technician -Lexus and GM Certified Technician -A+ by the end of the week

The position being presented to me would be for a small local firm which provides call and on-site support for several small-mid sized businesses. How can I make the above better reflect my achievements in 5 years instead of my failures?

Comments

• Options
    Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_surprised.gif

I would start over, look at some examples online.
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this a straight copy & paste from your word doc ? It looks heavily over edited
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Another case of not showing any accomplishments, just listing responsibilities. Resumes must do both.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Another case of not showing any accomplishments, just listing responsibilities. Resumes must do both.
    Ok, so how do I make these concise and meaningful:
    -Went from shadetree hobby mechanic to apprentice to full-commission and passed all of my ASE exams in 6 months (even though another 1.5 years work experience was required before I finally got credit).
    -Was one month shy of becoming the youngest person ever to achieve GM World Class Technician.
    -Was offered a lead-tech position after 2 years which I turned down on principle (there were 2 other guys there who deserved the position, earned a LOT of my respect, and had seniority over me -- it was purely management trying backhanded tactics to push one of the older guys out).
    -Had several clients who became my clients instead of the shop's clients. Some of them still are my clients, even though I don't repair cars professionally any more.
    -Once had a tech from Alabama call me in Texas to ask me how to repair a particular problem after the factory Techline couldn't help him.
    -At my 2nd auto tech job, I earned technician of the quarter the first full quarter I was there. I was the 2nd recipient of that award, receiving it before 40 other guys who had been there much longer than I had.
    -At that job, I taught one of the factory training instructors how the circuity inside a tail lamp monitor module works.
    -Running my business now is the best achievement I've got. There is no award or recognition for all of the different positions filled by small business owners or the self-employed. I have huge respect for anyone who has built a successful business of their own from the ground up!
    -Along the same lines, I have a second job last year which I picked up to earn a little extra side-income. That turned into me running the business for a month while the owner was in the hospital. I didn't think this would be good for the resume, though, since I was only there 3 months total (he shut it down when he got out of the hospital).

I also did include that I maintained 100% customer satisfaction surveys 3 years straight.

Johnny, yes I did copy it from OOo. I should have just retyped it but it was late and I was more worried about making sure I was ready for the A+ (which I finished today :D ) Sorry for the clutter in the formatting!
  • Options
    Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be honest, the format was really hard to read. So I didn't read it, and I doubt the managers would either.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Perhaps this can give you a sense of direction for your resume.

Critique my resume...plz - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

Make sure to put your PC skills on your resume.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Perhaps this can give you a sense of direction for your resume.

Critique my resume...plz - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

Make sure to put your PC skills on your resume.
    Ok, so you prefer certs/skills above history? Also, again, one of the big problems I'm facing is that much of my experience is related as far as electronics diagnostics and troubleshooting procedure goes. I don't know how to explain that to someone who doesn't know anything about fiber optic car audio or CAN+ networks.

I also don't know how (or if) to include any of the accomplishments in my last post. And the one you linked to only lists certs as accomplishments?
  • Options
    I'm a little confusedicon_sad.gif

What type of job are you going for?
  • Options
    I'm a little confusedicon_sad.gif

What type of job are you going for?
    Entry level IT. Help desk, geek squad, whatever I can get to get my foot in the door. Sorry, I thought that was implied by being on an IT forum combined with my lack of IT experience. I'm trying to figure out how to make my unrelated resume more related, since my job was more related than it appears.
  • Options
    ubermich wrote: »
    Entry level IT. Help desk, geek squad, whatever I can get to get my foot in the door. Sorry, I thought that was implied by being on an IT forum combined with my lack of IT experience. I'm trying to figure out how to make my unrelated resume more related, since my job was more related than it appears.

Do you have a CompTIA A+ certification?
    Do you have a technical certificate from IT vocational school?

I use to be mechanic, I can help you. What your going to have to do is list your IT skills. If you got the A+, list those skills as in that example I linked you to. For your job description, list relevant things that you did that can relate to the position your seeking, for example interpersonal skills. Don't worry about not having any IT jobs listed in experience. If you have any IT certificates list them. Your focus right now is just to make the resume look nice. Sometimes if managers see a nice resume and see your skills listed, they look past your lack of IT work experience, believe me, I seen it:D
  • Options
    Yes, I got my A+ Friday! I never went to vocational school, not even for working on cars. I got a 6-month apprenticeship at the dealer before being on my own (flagging). Will update/rework my resume this afternoon/evening and try again.
  • Options
    ubermich wrote: »
    Yes, I got my A+ Friday! I never went to vocational school, not even for working on cars. I got a 6-month apprenticeship at the dealer before being on my own (flagging). Will update/rework my resume this afternoon/evening and try again.

Congratulationsicon_wink.gif