Options

upgrade question 2000 pro --> xp pro

caustikcaustik Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
im going over upgrades and installations and actually doing them (I usually only do a clean install)

anyway when trying to upgrade 2000 pro --> xp pro i get the message

"windows xp setup does not support upgrading from microsoft windows 2000 professional to microsoft windows xp professional"

i was under the impression it does, in fact i cant find anything that says other wise...

i had a dual boot sys with NT4 sp6 and 2000 sp4(seperate partitions) i upgraded nt to 2000 the tried to upgrade to xp and got that, i get the same thing trying it on the clean 2000 install...

all os cd's are full version oem's

Comments

• Options
    possibly... one MUST use a reatail version?

although I thought the only differance was oem doesn't come in a pretty box
    and the win2k oem lets me upgrade. hrmmm....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    caustik wrote:

although I thought the only differance was oem doesn't come in a pretty box
    and the win2k oem lets me upgrade. hrmmm....

OEM license:
    License sold with equipment from an original equipment manufacturer (such as Dell, Gateway, etc...). The license is disposable (non-transferable) and stays with the equipment. So when you need to upgrade, the license must legally be destroyed.

RETAIL license:
    Sold as a package that you, the end user, is permitted to use exclusively on the system of your chosing. WHen the system needs upgrading, you may transfer the license (so long as it no longer is on the first system).

There may be other legal ways to say the above, as I am not a lawyer this is how I have read and understood the lincensing that I use and support.

For your upgrade issue. You are using Windows XP PRO not Home, right?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

Maybe review the steps HERE

Also review Windows 2000 Pro

XP upgrade advisor
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    well that must be it, i was under the impression these were just retail versions with out the box(they are 1/2 reatail price) like buying oem parts that just dont come with accesories/documentation. Although nowhere in the documentation or eula does it say it has any limitaions and my other oem os's let me upgrade. the fact that i cant find out if a particular one will let me is disturbing. I wont be recomending buying oems for cheaper upgrades any more.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can't how anyone can get away with actually selling you OEM's.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    keatron wrote:
    I can't how anyone can get away with actually selling you OEM's.

When you are an OEM, you can buy OEM items to resell ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    you can buy oem software for cheap just like oem hardware its just "barebone".

Newegg. com is the best place for that stuff, i only buy from them uless they dont carry what i need

win xp 64 oem is availible there now... 155$