Options

Job Prospects - Poll

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
A poll on career prospects
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I voted In work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

At my place, I'm the highest that I can be (IT Manager) unless I switch to general management (and if my manager leaves - he's the business manager) or if I switch to teaching. Safe... For now anyway, as we've already had a "restructure" done.

-Ken
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I voted: In work. Safe. Good promotion prospects.

I know I will continue to get raises in my current position and I do well at my job. Though I question how long that will let me skate by. Currently I am extremely under utilized and I imagine someone up top will be saying something soon. I am hoping we start a server team and then I would be happy to move to that position (really happy if they let me continue to work overnight). Technically, I could probably have put Stellar promotion prospects, as I could move into the field engineering group (network or servers). But I really don't feel like driving all over gods green earth and I will admit I am not quite on that level. At this point, with my current skill set, I believe I would be a tier 2 helpdesk person if we had that here. Great topic!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In work. Safe, but stagnating a little career-wise, not learning at the rate I'd like to be learning at.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    In work. Safe. Good promotion prospects.

My company just got bought out, but I'm not at all worried about being laid off....the sale will complete in 6 months to a year, I'm due for a raise in November, and if I do get laid off I'll make more money somewhere else.I think the new company will want to keep most if not all the IT staff. We are an IT company, after all, so surely they're not just buying the service provider infrastructure.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    I put good promotion prospects, although perhaps not *that* good. Essentially I have topped out within the organisation and I dont see any natural progression vertically as there really isn't anywhere to go upwards unless I become less of an architect. There are some lateral moves I suppose. But the prospects are stellar should I get decide to leave. But I have no desire to do so at this time as the job provides me all the challenges I want right now.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »

My company just got bought out, but I'm not at all worried about being laid off....the sale will complete in 6 months to a year, I'm due for a raise in November, and if I do get laid off I'll make more money somewhere else.I think the new company will want to keep most if not all the IT staff. We are an IT company, after all, so surely they're not just buying the service provider infrastructure.

If you work for an MSP like me, when we aquired a smaller company we kept all their people. It's to our advantage as they know the customers and the customers know them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

Latter isn't a big issues as raises were always given regardless. We just don't have special "titles" .... I could probably call myself whatever I want lol ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    JohnerJohner Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Work. STELLAR

I haven't got the job *quite* yet but if I do. I'm going to burn every cert I can get my hand on into my retinas so I can close my eyes and ****, haha.

I hear that on the floor above mine is the Network Engineers who babysit the Gizzly Bear sized servers. I want to be just like them when I grow up.

Mainly I never want to fall behind. I don't want to be that guy who deletes his web browser icon and panics, calling his ISP in a frenzy because he just threw away all my MBps and wanted to know if I would have to pay twice for getting it back.

....Ok maybe not that dramatic but you get the picture. Technology is just... wonderful. I'm eager to be on the edge of it. icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No promotion prospects. I was recently promoted to the highest level they have here. There are definitely promotion prospects for people coming in at the help desk/field tech level. I'm a Sr. Network Admin now, so there's nowhere else for me to go but out the door.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've voted good promotion prospects, though technically there's nowhere else to go at the moment so a bit like Turgon, it'll likely be added responsibilities for the next couple of years. We are expanding at a good rate and will continue to do so with further acquisitions (globally). The economy and the (forecast) trends in IT were one of the many reasons I went to work as in the MS/Outsourcing practice of a consulting firm and I also knew the overall aims were to grow the company significantly.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

So far so good. I know I can find a better job with my experience and certs but I choose to stay so I can concentrate on my CCIE.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    But frankly I am bored to death. We were forced to get the Solaris 10 System Administration Certification. I have passed Part 1 of 2. Need Part 2 before the end of the month. Earlier had to get Sec+. Both are DOD requirements I learned of after I was hired. To say I am not happy is an understatement. As soon as another position comes along, I'm gone.
  • Options
    carbonatedcarbonated Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In work. Safe. Stellar opportunities. New job rekindled my interest in IT :)
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Voted :: In work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

Yes in the Tech Role i work i dont see much or any progress unless any of my immediate managers leave
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I voted in work with no promotion prospects but I don't feel it doesn't quite describe my situation. There really isn't anywhere in my company to rise higher other than putting on a sales cap and kicking the boss himself out the door. I already handle discovery, design and delivery. Maybe once there are a few more employees/clients to warrant a full time manager there would be somewhere to be promoted to.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brownwrap wrote: »
    But frankly I am bored to death. We were forced to get the Solaris 10 System Administration Certification. I have passed Part 1 of 2. Need Part 2 before the end of the month. Earlier had to get Sec+. Both are DOD requirements I learned of after I was hired. To say I am not happy is an understatement. As soon as another position comes along, I'm gone.

Hopefully they are paying for the certs.
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    In work. Worried I might get laid off.

Don't think my manager is too happy with me.

I believe there are several reasons for that, many of which are my fault.
    Those do include not meeting his performance expectations.

Not sure as to whether I'll be let go soon or they'll simply wait it out till the end of my contract. I suspect the former since things have gone from just open mockery and belittlement of me, to actually mocking people in my personal life who I care about.

I'll just have to try my best at work for now and keep chugging away on my certs with every free hour I have.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    I suspect the former since things have gone from just open mockery and belittlement of me, to actually mocking people in my personal life who I care about.

I'll just have to try my best at work for now and keep chugging away on my certs with every free hour I have.

There's no justification for that in the workplace. Protest to your manager about it on Monday. Tell him it's affecting you at work and if it isn't dealt with you will be forced to speak to HR. If not dealt with do speak to HR and complain formally. Regardless of your performance at work you shouldn't put up with that. Meanwhile look aggresively for a new job. Take what lessons you need to learn away with you and make sure it doesn't happen again, but aim to leave this company and start afresh as soon as possible. You have to put food on the table and a bad experience like this isn't good for your self esteem. Move on.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

I'm a contractor, so yeah no promotions for me. However, I am safe, for now. My contract has been extended to March 2012.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm surprised by the low amount (2% so far) who have voted "In work. Worried I might get laid off".

I thought there would be more (but I'm glad there isn't :) )
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    I'm surprised by the low amount (2% so far) who have voted "In work. Worried I might get laid off".

I thought there would be more (but I'm glad there isn't :) )
    My thoughts as well. In this day and age, EVERYONE should be worried that they'll get laid off.....icon_sad.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I voted In Work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

But I am actively looking. I'm at a spot where there's nowhere for me to go unless I relocate with my company or seek elsewhere. I have two interviews going, one with Booz Allen Hamilton and the other with the University of Kentucky Health Care. Both would be a huge step up in my career. If it comes down to making a choice, UK will get me. That's the one I REALLY want.
  • Options
    In this industry I find it really depends on who you work for. My company is growing in leaps and bounds, I believe we are up to 53 employees and we were at maybe 23 when I was hired. We had a meeting today where we were told that our managed services were up 33% for the year (we still have a couple more months to go) and our hosted voip is up 236% (not hard since it didn't exist a year ago lol). For those looking, good luck, it takes time, but you will find something. Those worried about getting laid off, your skills are needed somewhere I assure you!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I voted In Work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

I plan on working on some sort of advanced degree after I'm done with WGU so that I can work on those promotion prospects. At least with a BSc, I can be comfortable in pursuing those with the years of experience I have.
  • Options
    over9000over9000 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I voted: In work. Safe. Good promotion prospects.

I'm really in the middle on this one though since a helpdesk role can go either way. However, my skill set isn't good enough to really leap into another role yet. Hopefully, when I go back to school soon I can do both.
  • Options
    Going by the latest poll results, half the workforce feels safe with no promotion prospects.
    A third of the workforce is safe with promotion prospects.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm feeling safe at the moment. However I am kinda waiting for GFC2. In which case I might still be safe because we are grossly overworked. Which is why I really want to quit. Then I won't feel safe. It's a vicious circle.
  • Options
    MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another vote for In Work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

Currently stagnating as a Helpdesk Tech, however we're already shortstaffed (two people have left this year that have yet to be replaced) so there's very little chance of me being laid off. However there's not really any place to move up and nobody (higher up anyway) ever seems to leave anyway.
  • Options
    frubinfrubin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Voted: Looking for a job.

I normally come from a science/health medical background and worked in the NHS, however due unfortunate circurmstances, i lost my job in July 2011 and have been unemployed since. So i considering to to change my direction and pursue futher in IT plus i was also interested in IT system support and learn how to maintain and repair's PC. I am hoping that i will able to pass the City & Guilds Dipolma For IT Professionals - Level 2 course to get the CompTIA A+ certification plus the IT Essentials 1 Certificate for Completion – CISCO ACADEMY so it will able to open up a new door to another oppotunity and career as a IT Techinican (entry level). However it doesn't stop me returning back to the NHS on a P/T basis if need be or get any P/T job to support me while i am studying.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I voted 'In work. Worried I might get laid off'. I was worried about getting laid off, but I have just accepted a new job and submitted my two weeks notice yesterday.