Options

Password recovery

Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm having trouble locating the information I need to do a password recovery on this Cisco 1841 router. I know neither the username nor password. All sites I see assume that I can get to the Router> prompt, which I cannot. Right off it asks for my username, which I don't know, and I'm sure the password request will follow.

I can do a switch no problem, but it's been forever since I've needed to do a router. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think that's gonna work, unless I missed something. This series of steps assumes that I can get to the Router> prompt, which I cannot.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think that's gonna work, unless I missed something. This series of steps assumes that I can get to the Router> prompt, which I cannot.

Start at the "Step-by-Step Procedure" part. I think you are missing the step where you break into ROMMON.

"4. Press Break on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of power up in order to put the router into ROMMON."
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    rommon> not Router>.

You need to know the break command for your terminal program (teraterm / putty /etc.). I think tera terms break command is <ALT> + <B>. You press that while the router is loading the OS (the little pound symbols are flooding the screen). That should get you to where you need to be for the link provided above.

You'll have to consult your terminal software to figure out what the break command is for it, every one has one though.
  • Options
    Start at the "Step-by-Step Procedure" part. I think you are missing the step where you break into ROMMON.

"4. Press Break on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of power up in order to put the router into ROMMON."

The break command can throw you through a loop if you've never used it before (took me awhile to figure it out).

Don't know where he got Router> from though.
  • Options
    Why did this get moved to CCNP? Accident?
  • Options
    I saw that "break" command (yep, I missed it) and forgot to come back here and mention it. Sorry.