Options

Book - buy or borrow from library?

Triple3Triple3 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I went through many of the threads and posts that many of you actually did a self study and actually bought the book. I'm still considering whether to buy the MS Press books or just borrow them from the library.

It would be a waste if the books just get left on the shelve after one get certified or the book would still be handy as a reference on the job?

I actually sign up for a course with a training provider, and I just regret it. I loaned a MS Press 70-642 study guide from the library and find it so much better than the actual course book and lessons. icon_sad.gif

Any advise is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Between the fact it takes me months to finish a book and the fact I like to write in them, I buy all the time.

Or safari books online
    -Daniel
  • Options
    LAN_GuruLAN_Guru Member Posts: 119
    Triple3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I went through many of the threads and posts that many of you actually did a self study and actually bought the book. I'm still considering whether to buy the MS Press books or just borrow them from the library.

It would be a waste if the books just get left on the shelve after one get certified or the book would still be handy as a reference on the job?

I actually sign up for a course with a training provider, and I just regret it. I loaned a MS Press 70-642 study guide from the library and find it so much better than the actual course book and lessons. icon_sad.gif

Any advise is appreciated.

1) If you borrow the books from a library, you may not get the CD or DVD that came with the book. That means you don't get the exam simulations, eBooks, videos, etc. that comes on the CD/DVD.

2) Most people take several weeks to several months to prepare for an exam. That could be another determining factor for whether to buy or borrow. Most libraries limit the amount of time you can keep a book and how many times you can renew it...especially if people are waiting for it.

3) There's so much information, it is impossible to remember eveything. You may encounter a time when you want to refer to something that was in a book but you don't have the book. Though you can simply use Technet or the Microsoft Knowledgebase for reference, I like having hard-copies of books..

4) It impresses your non-technical friends when they see all the books on your shelf and you can proudly comment "Yeah, I read those five books, 3428 pages, and passed a 2-4 hour exam on each of them"

I posted a promo code in another thread for O'Reilly that brings their pricing down to being cheaper than Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Free shipping...
    9/1 - Citrix A18 :study:
    9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies!!

LAN_Guru, I actually used the discount code for O'Reilly publishing and got the MCITP Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator: Training Kit 4-Pack: Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647 and additional 70-646 book using the promo code you gave it's a $3 savings over amazon, but that little saving could go into the $22.99 shipping charges from ohio (Borderlinx) to Singapore.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    LAN_GuruLAN_Guru Member Posts: 119
    Triple3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!!

LAN_Guru, I actually used the discount code for O'Reilly publishing and got the MCITP Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator: Training Kit 4-Pack: Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647 and additional 70-646 book using the promo code you gave it's a $3 savings over amazon, but that little saving could go into the $22.99 shipping charges from ohio (Borderlinx) to Singapore.

Thanks!!

I hope you got the 2nd Editions. I didn't realize they had done a kit with the 2nd Editions yet. Verify it and if they are not 2nd Editions, cancel the order and re-do it with the separate 2nd Edition books. You will be glad you did!
    9/1 - Citrix A18 :study:
    9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm one that always casts my vote for the library. If they have the books you need that's some money saved. If you find that it is something you'll be referencing over and over then go ahead and buy it. Most of the books I've checked out for studying I never return to. Anything I feel a need to reference again I can usually check online. My IT shelf is pretty thin, only a couple of books on there that I got for free. I don't usually find myself referencing it either.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    LAN_Guru wrote: »
    I hope you got the 2nd Editions. I didn't realize they had done a kit with the 2nd Editions yet. Verify it and if they are not 2nd Editions, cancel the order and re-do it with the separate 2nd Edition books. You will be glad you did!

It's the 2nd Edition kit. :)MCITP Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise Administrator: Training Kit 4-Pack: Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647, Second Edition - O'Reilly Media

To everyone else.
    If you're getting this kit, do a search for LAN_Guru's post in another thread for a promo code from O'Reilly icon_idea.gif and use it when placing your order, the savings is about $10 compared to amazon, the $10 can be used for 2nd day overnight if you're in the States.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    I'm one that always casts my vote for the library. If they have the books you need that's some money saved. If you find that it is something you'll be referencing over and over then go ahead and buy it. Most of the books I've checked out for studying I never return to. Anything I feel a need to reference again I can usually check online. My IT shelf is pretty thin, only a couple of books on there that I got for free. I don't usually find myself referencing it either.

Well, I don't even have a single IT book in my small library. icon_redface.gif

I'm a slow learner, so having those kits would actually help, instead of having to pay fees to extend it. And as each book can only be extended once, I'll need to return it and loan it out again the next day.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually buy them with the intent that I'll have them on the book shelf for review or to look something up. Very seldom do I end up doing either of these since google is always available.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    jrbush82jrbush82 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    While it is always great to have a hard copy book for quick reference, I rarely find myself using them. Search engines, Books 24x7 and Safari Books Online pretty much have me covered. If you're able, I highly recommend purchasing the Safari Books Online subscription. The price ranges from ~$300 - ~$475 annually.