CCNA through CCNA:SEC lab

osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm only going to be taking CCNA and CCNA:Sec. I'm looking for a simple lab that that will take me through these two exams. I don't need for the lab to cover every single topic, just enough to get me through and get some hands on experience. I'm also short on money, so I've come up with the following, any feedback at all would be really helpful, thanks so much!

2 Routers, 2501's
1 Switch, 2950

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Given I have limited Cisco knowledge, but you need 2 of those switches. If I can remember correctly, you need 2 switches to practice Spanning Tree. You can use Dynamips, but you are going to need IOS's for the devices.

Just ensure whatever device you buy has an IOS installed on it, the exams currently test on 12.4, so you are going to need this version. Anything prior to this version and you will not be able to execute all the commands.

I'm sure all the Cisco guys will chime in shortly, but this was my opinion.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For the CCNA, the 2500's will do almost everything. The two big things that they're missing is SDM and inter-VLAN routing. You can use the SDM simulator, so it's down to inter-VLAN routing you'll be missing out on. You'll find a command here and there missing as well, but those are the only major things. As far as switches, you'll want at least one more. Another 2950 will be ideal, but if money is tight, a 2900XL can be found real cheap and will do 80% - 90% of what a 2950 can do.

For the CCNA Security, the 2500 routers just aren't going to cut it. You can pick up a 1721 or 1760 for $50 or less that will suffice. There's just too much SDM on the CCNA Security and the 2500's cant do it. For switching, there's little that your 2950 cannot do, and I don't recall any multi-switch scenarios when taking the CCNA Security class.

What you have now will probably get you through the CCENT. Grab another switch in a few months for the CCNA, and then grab a 1721 or 1760 in another couple months for the CCNA Security.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Can get 1721's with a wic for less than $50 with p&h
    I paid about $20ea for mine(with p&h), same for the 1751's I have

e.g Cisco 1721 w/ WIC 1T | eBay

Can get 1760's with 2 wic2ts for under $100
    (just paid $89 for a 1761 with 2x wic2t)
    eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

Was annoyed that I just missed out on a 3725 for $100

Can get 2950's for around $25 - 35 with p&h
    Just need to be patient and not be in a hurry.

Avoid the sx and fx 2950c models unless you want to have fibre patch cables and gbics.

And prices should be cheaper in the US than here in Australia due to the larger amount of second hand equipment

I've spent more on wics and modules (mostly NMFE) than on routers

But if your budget is very tight
    your first stop should be gsn3 , get familiar with it, then look at buying a few switches 2950's and at least one 3550
    GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay, so two 2500's and two 2590's for the CCNA, thanks! What IOS version should I be looking for?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    12.4 is what you need.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    osJoe wrote: »
    Okay, so two 2500's and two 2590's for the CCNA, thanks! What IOS version should I be looking for?

2500's - depends if you are going to continue with cisco certs after ccna or not.

Can pick up 1721's or 1751's or 1760's for fairly cheap
    and they can have much more recent versions of ios than 2500's

12.4T if possible.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For the CCNA:Security you might want to look into "xm" routers.

This will do you -
    3 x 2950 Switches
    3 x 2621xm routers
    1 x hub
    Bunch of cables
    Couple cheap computers
    -Daniel
  • osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    For the CCNA:Security you might want to look into "xm" routers.

This will do you -
    3 x 2950 Switches
    3 x 2621xm routers
    1 x hub
    Bunch of cables
    Couple cheap computers

Will those routers also be fine just for the CCNA?
    Yes as long as you have a few wics (wic1t or wic2t).
    Also as long as you have enough ram and flash for a reasonable ios version

links in this post
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/69670-hardware-use-ccna-lab-8_28_2011-a.html

is there any need for a hub ?