Options

CCNP ROUTE - OCG needed?

pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
I'm starting ROUTE and was curious if anyone used the OCG in combination with the FLG, or does you think the FLG is enough?

I currently have:

CBT Nuggets
INE
FLG

Since ROUTE is divided into 4 major sections (EIGRP/OSPF/BGP/IPv6) in CBT/INE/FLG, rather than watching the entire CBT/INE series then diving into the FLG, I figure I would watch each protocol, then read up on it, and repeat.

For those who have passed ROUTE, was the FLG enough to get a good understanding of the materials or did you need to supplement it with the OCG?

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    although i havent passed the exam yet i do have a copy of both. The FLG goes way more in depth and is great for those who are just learning the material from a infant stage. The OCG is poorly written and edited imo. It lacks depth as it assumes your pretty knowledgeable in the areas. Nevertheless, the OCG can be backed up with white papers and others resources to fill the holes. If i had to choose out of the two, the i would recommend the FLG regardless of your knowledge.

You may wanna check out the lab guide too for your practical elements. its a good resource.

Good luck
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Ah, totally forgot about the lab manual, thanks!

Well, got my first week planned out...figured I aim for 1 week per topic. Seems pretty reasonable once you break it down...
    Week 1 (August 29th – September 7th) - EIGRP
    • Monday
    o INE Videos
    • Tuesday
    o FLG pages 58-84
    Understanding EIGRP Terminology and Operation
    Planning EIGRP Routing Implementation
    • Wednesday
    o FLG pages 84-113
    Configuring and Verifying EIGRP
    o Lab Manual pages 13-75
    Lab 2.1 Configuring EIGRP
    Lab 2.2 EIGRP Load Balancing
    Lab 2.3 EIGRP Summarization and Default Network advertisements
    • Thursday
    FLG pages 113-144
    Configuring and Verifying EIGRP in an Enterprise WAN
    o Lab Manual pages 75 – 89
    Lab 2.4 EIGRP Frame Relay Hub-and-Spoke
    • Friday
    o FLG pages 144-174
    Configuring and Verifying EIGRP Authentication
    Optimizing EIGRP Implementation
    o Lab Manual pages 89-101
    Lab 2.5 EIGRP Authentication and Timers
    • Saturday
    o CBT Nuggets Videos
    • Sunday
    o Review notes and labs
  • Options
    hkechoeshkechoes Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For FLG, be sure to check out the errata from ciscopress.com. Lots of minor errors.

That said, I still use FLG as my main learning material, though I also own a (Chinese-translated) copy of OCG, mostly for the test questions from the attached CD.