CCNA-S value

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
Besides knowing the information, has anyone seen where the CCNA-S helped them get the next decent job?

First, let me say I know just getting a cert is going to have people knocking down your door for you to come work for them.

I usually search the job boards and see if companies are looking for a certain cert. What HR is looking for. I go for certs for two reasons: to learn something new and to make myself more marketable.

I don't see CCNA-S very often on my searches. I'll see CCNA. Did cisco loose the ball about the speciality exams? Even the cisco guys at work did not even know about them.

I was going to go for CCNA-S right after CCNA, but I feel studying for CCNP is a better ROI.
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You would be better off studying for CCNA-Voice or CCNP if your looking for a job position. I've seen a few CCNA:security depends on your location. CCNA:Security is a god place to start and you will run into these stuff at work. For example, Setting up VPN's, Port-Security, access-list. Usually people who post those job are HR junkies who don't know anything technical.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCNA Sec , Voice, Wifi, are just supplemental certs for entry level positions. They will separate you from those with just CCNA skill level. Those certs will just validate the basic knowledge and understanding you have of that particular skill.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    OK, thanks for the responses.

I'm still interested in the exam as well as the topicS, but I think I will go for CCNP first and then look at this exam for CCNP-Security as both networking and security are of interests to me.

Right now I am looking for the best ROI on time and money for certs. I've been doing sys admin roles with desktop support. I've been given some networking projects and it has always been the "fun" piece of IT I enjoy.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well the CCNA Sec teaches very good and valuable topics on security! i love the concepts in the exam and it is only 1 exam.

The CCNP is 3 exams and no matter where you get employed you will probably be required to know and perform at least CCNA Security level tasks on the network.

Depending on your experience, even with a CCNP you will probably do entry level work. So the way i see it with CCNA or CCNP you will do entry level work.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do them both. Grab CCNA:S as you are doing the CCNP.

To answer your question, CCNA:S helped me get my last two jobs (including my current one).
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good responses. It gets tough deciding which route to take sometimes. Only so many hours in a day.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Well, considering that you already have Security+, once you get the CCNA, the CCNA:Security won't be that much more for you. You can consider studying for CCNA:Security as just studying for common, good-to-know security features.

No harm in it at all, and as a previous poster said, your employer will want you to be able to do that stuff. After clearing CCNA, you'd be at a decent level to clear CCNA:Security within 80-100 hours of studying, or less (depending on how fast you pick things up).

While if you go and tackle the CCNP, you're looking at 80-100 hours or more per paper, and have to clear all three before getting the certification. A lot of posts show a month or two for each CCNP core exam, followed by taking the TSHOOT exam soon thereafter, within a week or two. If you can get the CCNA, you'll be able to get the CCNA:Security within a month or two.

It is true that the CCNP would be a higher level than the CCNA:Security, but it's also true that it's three tests, versus one. :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought the CCNA:S was a good introduction to Network Security in general
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Remember CCNA: S is pre-req for CCNP: S So if your going to build off your secure skills in the Cisco world CCNA: S is a good step.

(Although you definitely want to get some real world experience prior to completely your CCNP: S or else it might look a little weird)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also keep in mind that when a company is comparing two candidates: one has CCNA and the other has CCNA:S. And that was the only difference between the candidates, they will lean toward the CCNA:S based on qualifications. CCNA will net you in more HR search queries, so you'll want to finish that one first.