CCNP - Route

ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I skimmed through the FAQ's, and from the looks of it some of the study recommendations are a bit dated.

What would be the current recommended books to purchase for the 642-902?

Thanks in advance!
Currently working on:
CISSP
MSFT 70-417
CCNA

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get the CCNP Route foundation learning guide. There is also a OCG but it lacks in depth to be honest. guess it depends on your experience.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I think I will pick up the Foundation Learning Guide and see how that works out. Maybe I will pick up both, but from what I've read in the brief searches I've done is that Odom's book has quite a few errors.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's consensus in the CCNP forum that you should prefer FLG over OCG.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
    lordy wrote: »
    I think it's consensus in the CCNP forum that you should prefer FLG over OCG.

Excellent. Good to know - thank you all for your quick replies, time to get an order together at Amazon icon_thumright.gif
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually just started reading it myself its pretty good.. I also picked up TCP/IP Volume 1 v2 :)
    Kelkin wrote: »
    I actually just started reading it myself its pretty good.. I also picked up TCP/IP Volume 1 v2 :)

Very cool. That looks like a good book to obtain .. I'll probably pick that up once I'm done with the FLG.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with Routing TCP/IP Volume I Second Edition, as well as Routing TCP/IP Volume II. The Cisco Material for the CCNP Routing Exam never impressed me and always left me with lots of questions. Routing TCP/IP books are my all time favorite Cisco books to date.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Has anyone read the book by Rene Molenaar onthe GNS3Vault website?

I love that site and am considering buying the Master CCNP ROUTE book. Any reviews?
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    ZachB wrote: »
    I skimmed through the FAQ's, and from the looks of it some of the study recommendations are a bit dated.

What would be the current recommended books to purchase for the 642-902?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a side by side comparison. And the winner is....FLG.

CCNP ROUTE: Official Study Guide or Foundation Learning Guide? - Packet Life
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wbosher wrote: »
    Has anyone read the book by Rene Molenaar onthe GNS3Vault website?

I love that site and am considering buying the Master CCNP ROUTE book. Any reviews?

i havent but if you do buy it could you ping me a pm to let me know what its like? :) im releuctant to shell out more cash atm after buying the OCG, FLG and lab manual. Thankfully work had CBTs!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    hi, i am on the same boat currently and was thinking about getting this book.

just checked out his site and saw that he has put some samples online.

http://www.renemolenaar.nl/CCNPROUTE-SAMPLE.PDF

guess i will go through the pdf and get an impression tonight.
    let me hear what you think about it.
    And then, I started a blog ...