Well Crap Failed ICND2

tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took the last part of the 2 test process today and failed with a score of 682 of 825. The first test ICND1 was hard but I scored 878 or 802. I think I took this one a little for granted I studied hard for the last month but I think I needed another month to practice. My test was a lot of sub-netting and ACL's. I had an extended ACL sim was one of the 5 sims. Bottom line I took it for granted and got pushed for time at the end I had 3 min remaining and 10 questions. I don't know if I will try again soon or not I am working full time and taking 12 senior college level courses and also married and a full time dad.

Comments

• TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take a break and come back to it next year or next summer when your out of school.

You will do better next time, don't give up!
  • IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't worry, take some time off, work on your schooling, spend time with your family, and celebrate the fact that you took the test!

After that, hit it again!

Make sure you celebrate and concentrate on the positive in everything. Remember, positive thoughts lead to positive results!
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Can you give us your score break down so we can try to help you better?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't get discouraged; just look at what parts you scored low on; focus on improving and give it another shot.

Never quit; quitting only guarantees failure.icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    tink334 wrote: »
    I took the last part of the 2 test process today and failed with a score of 682 of 825. The first test ICND1 was hard but I scored 878 or 802. I think I took this one a little for granted I studied hard for the last month but I think I needed another month to practice. My test was a lot of sub-netting and ACL's. I had an extended ACL sim was one of the 5 sims. Bottom line I took it for granted and got pushed for time at the end I had 3 min remaining and 10 questions. I don't know if I will try again soon or not I am working full time and taking 12 senior college level courses and also married and a full time dad.

As far as the subnetting, you just have to practice it.

Here's some help:
    1. memorize this sequence
    2. memorize powers of 2, up to 16
    3. If you can't do 1 or 2, develop a method of writing out a chart, and just reference that during the test.

Well, if ACLs are getting you down now, you might as well buckle down and study it good now.

I'm trying to remember all the different types of ACLs that CCNA covers:
    1. standard
    2. extended
    3. named
    4. Did CCNA cover MAC address ACLs?

I'm surprised you didn't mention NAT, as that would feed off the ACLs, going by CCNA objectives.
    1. static
    2. dynamic
    3. overload

Hrm, what else is good to know about ACLs?
    1. wildcard mask is always one less than the block size
    2. All 0's wildcard matches exactly
    3. All 255 wildcard matches everything
    4. extended close to source
    5. standard close to destination
    6. visualize the packet flow, as it enters and exits interfaces
    7. memorize common ports: 21, 25, 80, 53, 443, 3389, 1720, 1719, 20, 22, 636, etc.
    8. standard is source only
    9. extended can filter by source, destination, protocol, and port
    10. one access list per protocol, per interface, per direction. Had a good post about this topic, see that here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/69032-acl.html

There's tons of stuff in this forum about subnetting. If you're not good at memorizing a short string of numbers, then get good at drawing out a chart of those numbers, then.

Just go from 0 to 32, and write out all the masks.

You get like 15 minutes before the test to go through the exam tutorial. use this time to write out all the notes you want for the test.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    And another thing, the CCNA is a battle with time management. If you know your stuff cold, then you'll have plenty of time. If you have to figure out your masks and stuff on the fly while looking at the problems, you're probably going to run out of time really fast.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Also, you only failed this attempt at the ICND2. Now that you respect it, you'll study earnestly for it.

I think you probably have a good bit of knowledge already, but you really need to spend about 30 minutes a day on subnetting, and just ask questions in this forum about ACLs that are stumping you. Sometimes, you can be close to understanding something, but need that little extra "oompf" that this forum is designed to provide.

Hope this helps!