2 new IT jobs in 1 month

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
So the first thing everyone will think is: "hey, didn't he just get a new job?"

yes, I did, one month ago. It's a great job at an amazing company doing LOTS of cool stuff. And I get to work from home. But, the salary is average (not bad), and the boss believes you should be on-call 24x7 365 days a year..and that work ALWAYS trumps family...this was from the bosses mouth. I'm a family man.

So one day, in my new job, I was ticked off, and I did a quick job search. Found a job that seemed to be a pretty good fit, so I said what the hell. The next day, they called. They tentatively scheduled me for an interview which I did not show up to because I had a change of heart (mostly being scared of leaving a new job too soon). Yesterday came, and I came to my senses again....called the people who had contacted me about an interview.

Went to the interview today, thinking I was getting interviewed for a network engineer (tier 2) position. About 10 minutes into the interview, I find out it's for a Tier 4-level position, and I would be the technical lead if hired.

The interviewer (my new boss) was very down to earth, and said several times things such as "wow, you're a diamond in the rough," "you're worth a lot more than what you're making now," etc..

Then we got to salary negotiations. Here's how it went:

Him: "How much would you like to make?"

Me: "Well, I'm looking for something in the range of 84k - 87k/yr"

Him: <slight laugh> "Well, the lowest I could pay you for this position is 90k. But based on your qualifications, why don't we just call it 98k? Does that work for you?"

I think somewhere in there I mumbled a "Yeah"....at least I hope so, because it's been kind of a blur.

Just had to tell some folks who could appreciate my newfound opportunity (and luck!)
«1

Comments

  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    At least you know what your worth. I am being paid $13 an hour while the rest of my co-workers are being paid $15+. They are at the same position I am.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    At least you know what your worth. I am being paid $13 an hour while the rest of my co-workers are being paid $15+. They are at the same position I am.

    I spent the last 2 yrs as a CCNP with GOOD experience making 48K like all the other guys at my rank in the Army. This job is a big step up for me, but I did work for it.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Um, how does someone get a boss like that... icon_eek.gif

    Congratulations, there is no way that work trumps family and I'm glad you know that.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I gotta say this is the most fascinating story on TE today. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new job. I hope you made sure that the new job KNOWS you are a family man. icon_lol.gif
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys, I hope my story will inspire others to keep working..it does all pay off eventually!
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Wow...that sounds like an awesome move.

    Good luck in your new role - let us know how it goes.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Maybe one day I will make that kind of money, again congrats and good job sticking to your guns!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,927 Mod
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I hope my story will inspire others to keep working..it does all pay off eventually!

    That is so true. You could be fully qualified and be miserable, underpaid or unappreciated but someone down the road will eventually appreciate your talent, disposition and attitude. If you are not happy, do something. Things don't come to those who sit down and complain.

    Keep up that positive attitude!
  • kenookenoo Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I spent the last 2 yrs as a CCNP with GOOD experience making 48K like all the other guys at my rank in the Army. This job is a big step up for me, but I did work for it.

    congrats man feels great dont it?!

    I made a similar jump a few months ago, went from making ~50K to making 100K plus bonus working as a systems engineer
  • esswokesswok Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice to hear the good news!

    if you have been doing ccnp work for the army for the last two years I am sure your more than a diamond in the rough!

    nice!
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let me just start off by saying what everyone else wanted to say but didn't: I hate you! Just kidding. icon_lol.gif Would you mind if I print out your post and hang it on the cork board behind my desk? It'd be a great thing to show to the 25B's and U's that work for and with me that one of their own "made it big" through the Army.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is awesome. Hope to be in a similar situation soon. well.... soonish
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue


    Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is superb dude, congrats!!
    God deserves my best
  • RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    So the first thing everyone will think is: "hey, didn't he just get a new job?"

    yes, I did, one month ago. It's a great job at an amazing company doing LOTS of cool stuff. And I get to work from home. But, the salary is average (not bad), and the boss believes you should be on-call 24x7 365 days a year..and that work ALWAYS trumps family...this was from the bosses mouth. I'm a family man.

    So one day, in my new job, I was ticked off, and I did a quick job search. Found a job that seemed to be a pretty good fit, so I said what the hell. The next day, they called. They tentatively scheduled me for an interview which I did not show up to because I had a change of heart (mostly being scared of leaving a new job too soon). Yesterday came, and I came to my senses again....called the people who had contacted me about an interview.

    Went to the interview today, thinking I was getting interviewed for a network engineer (tier 2) position. About 10 minutes into the interview, I find out it's for a Tier 4-level position, and I would be the technical lead if hired.

    The interviewer (my new boss) was very down to earth, and said several times things such as "wow, you're a diamond in the rough," "you're worth a lot more than what you're making now," etc..

    Then we got to salary negotiations. Here's how it went:

    Him: "How much would you like to make?"

    Me: "Well, I'm looking for something in the range of 84k - 87k/yr"

    Him: <slight laugh> "Well, the lowest I could pay you for this position is 90k. But based on your qualifications, why don't we just call it 98k? Does that work for you?"

    I think somewhere in there I mumbled a "Yeah"....at least I hope so, because it's been kind of a blur.

    Just had to tell some folks who could appreciate my newfound opportunity (and luck!)

    One of the most inspiring stories I've ever read! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
    Mrock4, congrats! That is just inspiring to me. I hope to be in your shoes someday with an awesome boss like that.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, it means a lot. Keep working. Time flies (those of you with kids know this!), so work hard, become better than you were yesterday, and it'll happen for you too.

    Just to be clear, I have a cumulative total of just over 6 years in networking (full-time at least), but I was reading about it a few years before that. I consider myself to have the bulk of my 'good' experience in a two year span, though.

    Spicy ahi- I'll do ya one better. Check my blog (SGT CCIE) tomorrow..I'm going to post a little story of where I started and where I ended up..for the benefit of others to learn from my experience. I'd post it here, but I can be long winded.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mrock4, congrats! That is just inspiring to me. I hope to be in your shoes someday with an awesome boss like that.

    SO FAR the boss is great. But I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks..
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    well this week has been pretty rough, miserable at my current job more than usual.

    Read this post, made me feel better :)

    Congrats on your new position, i'm sure you deserved it.

    One question, what area are you in? I always like to know for salary references.
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They hiring? ERR :)
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We all know it isn't luck...

    but damn you got lucky. :) congrats!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I spent the last 2 yrs as a CCNP with GOOD experience making 48K like all the other guys at my rank in the Army. This job is a big step up for me, but I did work for it.

    Congrats! More than doubled your pay? That's amazing.
    With the new job, do you work from home, or have to drive into the office each day?
  • crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. NOC-Ninja is right, inspiring for sure.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    devilry- It's in Florida. I'm sure you know this already, but as said earlier by someone else, if you're not taking steps to better your situation, do it ASAP. It sucks being miserable in a position, I know!

    Kelkin- I hope so. I've already got plans to help bring on a good friend, who tried to help me out a few months ago. It's nice to be able to help those who have helped you.


    CompuTron99- I've got to drive to the office every day..in bad traffic. But, I did that for the past 3 years (save for this month at the current job, which is an easy drive)..so I'll manage :)

    Also, I posted up a detailed story of my journey up until now on my blog. Read it if you want, it's quite opinionated. I'm sure there'll be some revisions as (hopefully) I pass the CCIE in 10 months.

    SGT CCIE - A man on a mission to master OSPF, EIGRP, MPLS, and anything in between! | How I went from a dropout to 100k

    Edit: The reason for the story is mostly for me to voice my opinions on what job candidates/new folks in IT should be doing, based on my experience.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    That is so true. You could be fully qualified and be miserable, underpaid or unappreciated but someone down the road will eventually appreciate your talent, disposition and attitude. If you are not happy, do something. Things don't come to those who sit down and complain.

    Keep up that positive attitude!

    Couldnt agree more. I finally found a job where I am taken seriously and seen as a professional -- unlike past jobs where I was the regular guy and who cares what he thinks. I am at a place where they realy value my opinion and treat me like a human being. I was shocked to find a place like this since most companies arent like this but they are out there.

    Keep up with the certs and if your not happy MOVE ON! Your at work 50, 60 hours as week might as well make it pleasent!
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Now, this is an inspiration. With patience and dedication, it'll pay off in the end.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    devilry- It's in Florida. I'm sure you know this already, but as said earlier by someone else, if you're not taking steps to better your situation, do it ASAP. It sucks being miserable in a position, I know!


    Thanks for that info, i'm in Georgia.

    I totally agree with you, I am making moves to get out of my current career. I went from IT to law a few years ago, and want back in IT, so I am playing some catch-up so I can make a smooth transition, cant take a lower salary - family.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Freakin awesome! icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif

    Congratz and definitely inspirational!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    If you are not happy, do something. Things don't come to those who sit down and complain.

    I do my best to live by this and cite it when situations arise that it's called for. The other one I go by is -

    "Get busy living or get busy dying." - Stephen King


    @Mrock4
    Congratulations on finding such a fantastic position. It's always great to see a case when perseverance pays off.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    excellent news! I've been reading over your blog and you certainly deserve it. I worked a job prior to my current one that had the same attitude about family as your previous employer. I stuck it out for a 1.5 years and then one day my wife let out all of her pent up emotions about the position. I found a new job and handed in my 2 weeks immediately. Good luck and congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
Sign In or Register to comment.