Options

Starting my journey to MCITP: SA / EA

Hi all!

Today I just got my first training kit book for the 70-640 (2008 R2 version). I'm very excited and I started pounding away at it today icon_cheers.gif I plan on using my work laptop for my practice lessons (VMware).

I plan to take the 70-640 first and then jump to 70-642. My current goal is to get MCITP: SA status my December and then I plan to get the EA a about two months after that. I've been getting a lot of work experience with windows servers for over a year now and two years networking exp I'm hoping all that hard work will pay off. Also, this forum helped me understand a lot of concepts.

I cannot wait and I plan to have a lot of fun on this journey!

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Good plan and great attitude. Bring it on!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's the kind of attitude I like! Hit us up with any questions you may have. Just with your home lab, max out the RAM if you can so you can have multiple VM's. You can get by with 2-3 for the 640, but as you progress further you'll feel the need for more VM's.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Good plan and great attitude. Bring it on!

Thanks :) MY job right now is all servers and a lot (for 1 guy) of networking equipment / storage stuff. So I figured if I get these certs than I can finish off my CCNA stuff.
    Essendon wrote: »
    That's the kind of attitude I like! Hit us up with any questions you may have. Just with your home lab, max out the RAM if you can so you can have multiple VM's. You can get by with 2-3 for the 640, but as you progress further you'll feel the need for more VM's.

Thanks! I'm glad I can count on you guys for questions and clarification.

I have 8 gig of ram to use so for the 70-640 I plan to use 1 gig of ram per VM. Currently I am downloading the trail software that Microsoft has and after that I will download the software from my companies retail MSDN.

I do like the new book so far. Very easy to understand and has some good guidance.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Good luck and let us know what you use to pass your tests! :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Thanks and I will :)

I just came across a weird issue in the 70-640 book. It says the Server core 2008 R2 can support AD CS server roles but in the lesson overview in one of the questions it asks:

SERVER02 is running Server Core. It is already configured with the AD DS role you want to add Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) to the server. What must you do?

Since I read that it supports it I quickly picked A. Install the AD CS role. But the true answer (in the back of the book at least) said D. Reinstall the server as Windows Server 2008 R2 (Full Installation).

So yea, I guess I'm going to google that one just to be 100% sure.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    As with any MSPress book, google the errata and print it out to keep a copy with the book.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    As with any MSPress book, google the errata and print it out to keep a copy with the book.

Thanks for the advice.

Found it. This is the link I got it from (for future users)

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory® Confirmed Errata | O'Reilly Media

I would hate double guessing myself then again I figured it was wrong since I just installed it on the server core 0_0

it seems that question I asked a post ago was the very first one in the link. Interesting.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll chime in with another bit of advice, as you read the book and complete a section, read the corresponding article on TechNet. Supplement the book with TechNet. Be warned, the book alone will not get you through the exams. These books often lack in the details need to pass exams. In fact, after I finished off my MCSA, I've never touched an MS Press book, it's been TechNet only.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    higherho wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

Found it. This is the link I got it from (for future users)

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory® Confirmed Errata | O'Reilly Media

I would hate double guessing myself then again I figured it was wrong since I just installed it on the server core 0_0

it seems that question I asked a post ago was the very first one in the link. Interesting.

This book just came out within the last couple months and it already has that many corrections to it. That is said.
  • Options
    I'll chime in with another bit of advice, as you read the book and complete a section, read the corresponding article on TechNet. Supplement the book with TechNet. Be warned, the book alone will not get you through the exams. These books often lack in the details need to pass exams. In fact, after I finished off my MCSA, I've never touched an MS Press book, it's been TechNet only.

Thanks, I saw in this book they link back to technet articles so when I go through each chapter I plan to go through the technet article too.
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102

Best advice ever.

Learn to love (or hate) Technet. I always have Technet on my iPhone while commuting - great way of killing some time while still doing some studying. You'll find things on there that will never be explained in such detail in any of the MS Press books.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    elTorito your name is really close to one of our server names 0_0 icon_thumright.gif

Does anyone know of any labsims other than what they have in the book?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    higherho wrote: »
    elTorito your name is really close to one of our server names 0_0 icon_thumright.gif

Does anyone know of any labsims other than what they have in the book?

check out TestOut LabSim - MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, CISSP, SSCP, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, Linux+ Certification Training
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options

Thanks for the link. Since it only has a 7 day free trail I will make sure I use it during the last two weeks of my studies.