How much subnetting is there in the new ICND1?

MsafiriMsafiri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I see that Cisco says they have move to a more "knowledge based" testing? Meaning much more simulations compared to multiple choice, I was wondering if they still have a strong emphasis on subnetting or if that has been reduced.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It is a key concept. I took the exam last week and was happy to see that all those hours spent practicing subnetting paid off.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    from what I can remember on the ICDN1 and ICDN2, subnetting is everywhere. If you can't subnet, or if you're not very good at it, you'll have a hard time passing.

Also, the questions are scenario based, meaning it's not "what network is x.x.x.x on", but rather, you're given a diagram and is expected to know what network each host is on.
  • descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed with the others. Know your subnetting like the back of your hand.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Msafiri wrote: »
    I see that Cisco says they have move to a more "knowledge based" testing? Meaning much more simulations compared to multiple choice, I was wondering if they still have a strong emphasis on subnetting or if that has been reduced.

Knowing subnetting can be part of solving a simulation. A host with an IP address on the wrong network would have a huge impact on connectivity, for example. More simulations (if that is the case) does not mean less subnetting.
  • SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there a online source where you can take practice diagram based subnetting problems?
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is there a online source where you can take practice diagram based subnetting problems?

I don't see why you need this. Subnetting links like this is more than enough for subnetting practice, and I personally guarantee you it will prepare you for many diagram-based problems very well.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't see why you need this. Subnetting links like this is more than enough for subnetting practice, and I personally guarantee you it will prepare you for many diagram-based problems very well.

Hidden's link and this one were my only sources to practice subnetting.
  • SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□

Ok I've been using that site. I guess subnetting looks different when it's in worded in a problem.
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    you should be able to do subnetting in your head - in under 30 secs

my advise is - user your fingers and start with a /24
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • MsafiriMsafiri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you should be able to do subnetting in your head - in under 30 secs

my advise is - user your fingers and start with a /24

That's just silly, you don't need to do it in your head.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Find a system that works for you and be able to it under 30 seconds. I think it's best to be able to do it in your head because you will start to run out of fingers if you take the ICND2 with vlsm. Not to mention it will look like your doing sign language during the exam and at work.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think it's best to be able to do it in your head because you will start to run out of fingers if you take the ICND2 with vlsm. Not to mention it will look like your doing sign language during the exam and at work.

Definitely not gonna be a problem for me! icon_lol.gif Since I'm actually a sign-language user, I don't feel embarrassed counting with my hands. Believe it or not, I can count beyond 10 with my hands. There are sign languages for numbers > 10. icon_lol.gif
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

LOVE that one (even though I suck at it lol)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    Well I passed, can confirm that Cisco are still much in love with subnetting.
    Finished comfortably with about 40min left, I had the 30 min foreign language extension so that's like 10min left if you don't have that. I wouldn't say it was hard, and you don't need crazy subnetting speed to finish 1-2min is fine. I used the CBT Nuggets method mostly with some tweaks.

System had some problem logging me in so that sucked had to wait like 1 hour while the called around.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz!!!!!!!! icon_thumright.gif

What's is next on the horizon ?
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    I got exam today, And surprisingly there were too many simulation questions. some of them includes 4 sub questions per one simulation like 1a.1b.1c.1d And sub netting? Maybe 5.....
  • BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lots.......enjoy. :)

-Samurai
    Always studying for something!
    Congratz!!!!!!!! icon_thumright.gif

What's is next on the horizon ?

ICND2! Hopefully next week
    GOZCU wrote: »
    I got exam today, And surprisingly there were too many simulation questions. some of them includes 4 sub questions per one simulation like 1a.1b.1c.1d And sub netting? Maybe 5.....

Yep that's the direction they are going with.
    Tip: be very comfortable with all the show commands and know where to find what info.