Options

Another "Which Cert" Post (WGU)

The long and skinny of it, then the explanation.

Been involved in IT for 6+ Years but always fixed friend/family machines before I started to get paid for it...

• Consumer Support for Gateway E-machines 2years . Moved to "Senior Tech Team" AKA Last Level Support HW/SW Phone/Email TS
  • 2 years Corporate Support - HW/SW - Phone Email -
  • 2 Years "Service Desk Analyst" Helpdesk.. Onsite.. Now with this role there was more than replace a mouse.. Editing and searching SQL Oracle Databases (Had to learn ColdFusion in 24 hours to get the intranet back up; Legacy server crash) And at this role I got put as the backup admin for the Shoretel VIOP system. Did a mutli-site phone system migration, Domain(s) Migration, just a lot of 1 stop shopping.
I have been through most of the CCENT CBT Nuggets ( Path I was thinking of going is CCNA Voice -> CCNP Voice.

So here is the issue I am faced with... I applied to WGU, Taking the Readiness Assessment within the next 4 days ( Dentist tomorrow, may not be up to it).. So my enrollment counselor stated "My experience" should met the requirement (I have no previous college experience) but if I had just 1 cert off the transferable certs, I would be a "shoe in". As he put it, they are looking for past commitments and dedication. I am looking not necessarily for something "easy" but wouldn't require a lot of study time to get it completed within the next 2 weeks.. So I can schedule it now, cram icon_study.gif and get it out of the way.

I appreciate any and all responses, and if more information is needed, please don't hesitate to ask.
WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
Currently Reading
Darril Book

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ITIL v3 is suppose to be pretty easy. Security+ wasn't too bad. Maybe Net+?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I took the practice test provided here for the Net+, and found that I know alot more than expected.. Areas of "concern" is getting more familiar with fiber technology. I'll look at ITIL once I get home. I know the concept, just not the application.
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    the CIW:Foundations is probably the easiest test you can take.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »
    ITIL v3 is suppose to be pretty easy. Security+ wasn't too bad. Maybe Net+?

Agree with Dave

Security + didn't require a lot of study and the questions were pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was under the impression that you had to have either an associates degree, a certification or 3 years of experience. With 6 years of experience you shouldn't need a cert. Did you let them know how much experience you have?
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KrisA wrote: »
    The long and skinny of it, then the explanation.

Been involved in IT for 6+ Years but always fixed friend/family machines before I started to get paid for it...

• Consumer Support for Gateway E-machines 2years . Moved to "Senior Tech Team" AKA Last Level Support HW/SW Phone/Email TS
    • 2 years Corporate Support - HW/SW - Phone Email -
    • 2 Years "Service Desk Analyst" Helpdesk.. Onsite.. Now with this role there was more than replace a mouse.. Editing and searching SQL Oracle Databases (Had to learn ColdFusion in 24 hours to get the intranet back up; Legacy server crash) And at this role I got put as the backup admin for the Shoretel VIOP system. Did a mutli-site phone system migration, Domain(s) Migration, just a lot of 1 stop shopping.
    I have been through most of the CCENT CBT Nuggets ( Path I was thinking of going is CCNA Voice -> CCNP Voice.

So here is the issue I am faced with... I applied to WGU, Taking the Readiness Assessment within the next 4 days ( Dentist tomorrow, may not be up to it).. So my enrollment counselor stated "My experience" should met the requirement (I have no previous college experience) but if I had just 1 cert off the transferable certs, I would be a "shoe in". As he put it, they are looking for past commitments and dedication. I am looking not necessarily for something "easy" but wouldn't require a lot of study time to get it completed within the next 2 weeks.. So I can schedule it now, cram icon_study.gif and get it out of the way.

I appreciate any and all responses, and if more information is needed, please don't hesitate to ask.

I think he means job experience. Being employed in the field your going to school for counts as well. Make sure they know you've been in IT for 6 years that should get you in. All I have is an A+ and 3 months of experience. You're more qualified than me.
  • Options
    W Stewart wrote: »
    I was under the impression that you had to have either an associates degree, a certification or 3 years of experience. With 6 years of experience you shouldn't need a cert. Did you let them know how much experience you have?

He said it shouldn't be an issue, he just didn't want there to be anything that could "possibly" hold me back. And I can appreciate that... the "review" board is a bunch of humans, so it is open to interpretation. So I also have to make sure my resume lists EVERYTHING that I have experience in.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    He said it shouldn't be an issue, he just didn't want there to be anything that could "possibly" hold me back. And I can appreciate that... the "review" board is a bunch of humans, so it is open to interpretation. So I also have to make sure my resume lists EVERYTHING that I have experience in.

My guess (I've never been to WGU, Full Disclosure) is that since their program is so test/cert centric they want to know you have the capacity to study for and pass certification exams. This may sound silly but certs are a particular type of test that do require a particular type of study. I can understand how they would want you to show you can take on that type of challenge.

CIW-Foundations would be my recommendation. 6 Years in any IT branch and you should be golden with minimal prep.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have been doing support / repair for 6 years take the plunge and do A+. That gets you 8 transfer credits also.
  • Options
    cshkuru wrote: »
    If you have been doing support / repair for 6 years take the plunge and do A+. That gets you 8 transfer credits also.

Feeling a little lazy, is it 701 702 or both that get the 8 credits?

Thank You for the all of the responses. Money has always been the issue in the past for not "taking the plunge" , but the situation has changed and I have the money and if I fail, I have not lost out on an opportunity to pay a bill.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    Mah BahlsMah Bahls Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is the deal with WGU anyway? Is it a reputable school? Well known across the IT field? I had never heard of it prior to using this forum.
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »

I don't want to be sold from the college, I would just give them a call if that were the case. I want opinions from people who are going there. All schools claim to be the best, I am looking for real life experience. What do YOU guys think.
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's regionally and nationally accredited, which is the big deal. A lot of schools lack that. Recently it has partnered with the state university systems in Indiana, Washington and Texas, and there is talk of it in California. The IT program is a little unique in that almost everyone in it is in the IT field. Not so with the nursing, and education programs, but it is the largest single source of new teachers in the country. As for reputation I would say it is up to the graduates to make that. If we all go out and knock our employers back on their asses with our awesomeness then the school will develop a good rep. If not then it won't. (I should work for WGU doing PR)
  • Options
    cshkuru wrote: »
    It's regionally and nationally accredited, which is the big deal. A lot of schools lack that. Recently it has partnered with the state university systems in Indiana, Washington and Texas, and there is talk of it in California. The IT program is a little unique in that almost everyone in it is in the IT field. Not so with the nursing, and education programs, but it is the largest single source of new teachers in the country. As for reputation I would say it is up to the graduates to make that. If we all go out and knock our employers back on their asses with our awesomeness then the school will develop a good rep. If not then it won't. (I should work for WGU doing PR)

Ok, thanks.
  • Options
    carbonated wrote: »
    It would be nice to see these statements from a domain that wasn't wgu.edu icon_lol.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52825-student-experiences-western-governors-university-wgu.html <--- Forum Post here at TE

There is a thread with experiences.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mah Bahls wrote: »
    I don't want to be sold from the college, I would just give them a call if that were the case. I want opinions from people who are going there. All schools claim to be the best, I am looking for real life experience. What do YOU guys think.

Currently doing classes at WGU myself, my employers are nothing but supportive of the idea. You have to be highly self motivated to do the work with very minimal outside influence or guidance.

In response to KrisA: CIW foundations is a cake walk. With your background, you could knock it out in a few days of brush up on topics. Good luck on your entrance test.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Well I guess I don't have to worry to much.... DENIED
    Your lack of prior college experience
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    So maybe it was a little premature.. I had a scheduled call with the enrollment counselor that I still took after I received the results. Since I didn't "Fail" the assessment, He has the option to appeal the decision if I can "add" college experience (Any Cert is considered experience) that is the only thing holding this up. So the economical way getting this accomplished I feel is getting the CCENT test out of the way. I would just do A+ but doing the 2 tests is more expensive than 1, might as well wait for the voucher(s).
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    Plunge Taken! I REALLY hope I wont/don't regret it..

Test Series: 640-822 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 - English (ENU)
    Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011
    Time: 12:30 PM
    Appointment Length (minutes): 110
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plunge Taken! I REALLY hope I wont/don't regret it..

Test Series: 640-822 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 - English (ENU)
    Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011
    Time: 12:30 PM
    Appointment Length (minutes): 110

Best of luck.

Once you pass this, I will strongly recommend taking CIW 1D0-510. You WILL have to take it anyway, so you might as well spend the $150 and get it over with. With your background....you won't even need much study time; just a cursory review. (The only thing you'll need to bone up on is HTML...and even that is not that hard.)

That and the CCENT will give you two certs that you will have prior to joining WGU that can go toward transfer credit.

Put it this way....I find CIW certs to be such a joke I don't even list them as my earned certs. You will only know I have them by knowing I passed WFV1 and AKV1. They would only not be a joke to unexperienced folks in the IT program who had to study weeks/months for it. For someone with experience, it should be beyond cake.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »

Once you pass this, I will strongly recommend taking CIW 1D0-510. You WILL have to take it anyway, so you might as well spend the $150 and get it over with. With your background....you won't even need much study time; just a cursory review. (The only thing you'll need to bone up on is HTML...and even that is not that hard.)

So I just looked at the overview for the 1DO-510 and I laughed out loud. I am sure the garage sale across the street is puzzled. When I got into computers in the mid-late 90's, I created a website on Angelfire (Free was good) and learned HTML from scratch as a 15 yr old kid. It is what peaked my interest. Best was to learn IMO ripping apart other sites and seeing the code. I also started messing around with Dreamweaver back then as well and was in source mode more than the WYSIWYG.

The 510 looks like a walk in the park.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book