Options

Officially A+ Certified!

djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
Well it took a while of learning and practical application but I finally passed both exams and have my first IT certificate. So happy to finally have something.

I was contemplating whether I should pursue the Net+ or go for the 70-640 and get MCTS certification. We're migrating to AD soon and I think it would make myself more marketable in the short term because so many companies use AD and list experience with it as a requirement. Thoughts?

Finally able to add something to my Cert section. It was collecting dust. :)
WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed

Comments

• Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats of the pass! icon_thumright.gif And goodluck with whatever you decide, personally im studying for CCNA right now and allot of what is in the first 4-5 chapters I learned in Network+ just refined. I truly believe that CompTIA are great baseline certifications.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz! Time to celebrate!! drunken_smilie.gif

Out of all the CompTIA certs it's the A+ that has helped me the most.

Where you go from here depends on what you want to do, I would definitely go for vendor specific certs like Cisco or Microsoft.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass! :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats guys. So the general consensus is that the 70-640 is a good jump in my situation after acquiring the A+ ?
  • Options
    maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    mwwalkermwwalker Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First, congrats on the pass. I was wondering what materials you used to study for this? I have passed Security+ last week, and Server+ today. Look to take A+ next and was wondering what materials would be best for it. I do have experience so I know that will help.
  • Options
    mwwalker wrote: »
    First, congrats on the pass. I was wondering what materials you used to study for this? I have passed Security+ last week, and Server+ today. Look to take A+ next and was wondering what materials would be best for it. I do have experience so I know that will help.

Thanks for the congrats. I used Professor Messer's videos and read the Examcram book. I also have been working as a junior System Admin for 10 months. Good luck with the test.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on passing!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats on the pass djfunz!

Not to hijack, but according to your location you live/work in Germany? I've been very interested in working IT abroad and have a few questions...

- Are you German, or another nationality?
    - If another, how fluent should you be to adequately perform your duties?
    - I'm assuming the OS's and everything else is in German and not English?

Thanks in advance and congrats again!
  • Options
    _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    djfunz wrote: »
    Thanks for the congrats guys. So the general consensus is that the 70-640 is a good jump in my situation after acquiring the A+ ?

Depends on what you want to do.

Congratz on the pass!
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!! icon_thumright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass djfunz!

Not to hijack, but according to your location you live/work in Germany? I've been very interested in working IT abroad and have a few questions...

- Are you German, or another nationality?
    - If another, how fluent should you be to adequately perform your duties?
    - I'm assuming the OS's and everything else is in German and not English?

Thanks in advance and congrats again!

Hey, haven't checked this tread in a while but I'd be glad to help.

Someone else had a similar situation as yourself a while back and I'd like to give you the link to read. Hopefully it helps.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/68667-not-sure-what-do-after-mcitp-sa.html#post549568

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    So the general consensus is that the 70-640 is a good jump in my situation after acquiring the A+ ?

I'm not sure what networking knowledge you have, but you may find 70-640 a little challenging without some basic networking knowledge. I've had some students in MCSE/MCITP classes that had trouble making the leap from basic A+ knowledge to more advanced knowledge about domains. I

If you do jump into the 70-640 and things aren't making sense, you may like to fill in some holes with Network+. You don't necessarily have to get the cert, but the knowledge is valuable. Then again without taking the cert, you may think you have the knowledge, but you're missing key information.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Certapps Blog
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Hey, haven't checked this tread in a while but I'd be glad to help.

Someone else had a similar situation as yourself a while back and I'd like to give you the link to read. Hopefully it helps.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/68667-not-sure-what-do-after-mcitp-sa.html#post549568

Awesome, that was a quality read with great information, thank you for sharing!

I've been to Germany a few times and speak very basic German, but I am much better in French and was on the fence between the two...I have my college degree, certs, and ~4.5 years real world experience...so from what you were relating, I think, given the language situation improved, that it would be possible to seek employment in Europe!
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    I'm not sure what networking knowledge you have, but you may find 70-640 a little challenging without some basic networking knowledge. I've had some students in MCSE/MCITP classes that had trouble making the leap from basic A+ knowledge to more advanced knowledge about domains. I

If you do jump into the 70-640 and things aren't making sense, you may like to fill in some holes with Network+. You don't necessarily have to get the cert, but the knowledge is valuable. Then again without taking the cert, you may think you have the knowledge, but you're missing key information.

HTH,

Darril Gibson

Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead

ISBN-10: 1439236364

Certapps Blog

I started to gather that as I was looking over the Net+ material. It's very interesting stuff. The OSI model and subnetting requires a bit of memorization otherwise I'm having fun with it. I've already gone through over half the study material in a week and a half! Whether or not I take the exam will depend on the money. It's expensive over here in Europe and vouchers are basically non existent.
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Awesome, that was a quality read with great information, thank you for sharing!

I've been to Germany a few times and speak very basic German, but I am much better in French and was on the fence between the two...I have my college degree, certs, and ~4.5 years real world experience...so from what you were relating, I think, given the language situation improved, that it would be possible to seek employment in Europe!

No problem, glad I could help. I haven't visited very much of France however if you want to use English as a crutch that won't be as realistic an option in France. In Germany as you may already know, most of the younger generation speaks adequate English if there is a language barrier somewhere. Based on your experience I would say you have a good chance to find work here. You just have to enjoy grey skies and rain becasue the sun doesn't seem to like north Germany very much. ;)