Options

To Boson or not to Boson - ICND 1

cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
OK guys, I've been studying on and off for the past few months and I'm trying to crank it into full gear to accomplish my CCNA. I have watched the ICND1 and ICND2 CBT Nuggets, read the Cisco Press books, skimmed over Todd Lammle's Book, and I'm ready to do some practice exams. I love the resources on this site and saw everyone praising the Boson Ex-Sims, are they really that good? Fully worth it? I downloaded the demo and it seems pretty good, but I hate to throw down $99 for something and end up being disappointed. Can anyone provide further feedback on this or redirect me to an alternative? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I've heard it's worth it. I only used the demo that came with the book though and that helped me a lot.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I currently have Boson Sim and exams, the Sim seems to be very in depth, I haven't gotten to a point of taking exams yet but allot of people say the boson exams are harder than the actual exam. To me that's a good thing.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the Boson Ex sim max which comes with three exams (A, B and C). They are quite difficult but the simulations especially are very helpful. They come with very detailed answers which link back to cisco sources online.

I am getting scores of 86% (exam A) and 89% (exam B) on the ex-sim.On Exam C I only got 79% but I found this one personally harder than the other two.

I also had a go at the practice questions in Mr Valentine's Exam Cram ccent book. There's two exams in the back of this book. I got 99% on the first test. I think these are a lot easier though than the real cisco exam of course so I think Boson is the way to go!

I tried the cisco press book questions (the ones that come free with Wendell O's book). Those questions I found really hard going(even harder than the Boson ones) as it took a few minutes to read each one. So much minutiae in the way they are written. I only did 60 questions out of the 150odd.I gave up because it took me so long to do them and had to get on with other things. I got 70%.icon_sad.gif
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    Very helpful feedback guys, thanks! Anyone in here used the Boson sim, take the exam, and pass? If so I'll be ready with my credit card out.
  • Options
    BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Boson and passed the CCENT, and able still using Boson and will take the ICND2 in a month. I consider this a valuable resource. I would say it is worth the money in my opinion.

-Samurai
    Always studying for something!
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used boson for the icnd1 and the icnd2. Well worth the money, the tests are a bit frustrating at first but it really prepares you for the exam.
    In pursuit of CCNA:SECURITY; CCNP; THEN MCSE
  • Options
    MsafiriMsafiri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think for ICND1 if you practice with Packet Tracer or a real lab you should be fine, also do the training thing at the beginning of the exam.
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anybody used CertExams.com network simulator for CCNA?
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Yes the Boson exams are definitely worth the money IMO. If you have the Odom book then you get a $20 discount.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the CCNA composite twice, about a year apart, and passed the second time. The single best thing I did to improve my learning experience was purchase the Ex-Sim Max exam. The exams that came with the Odom books were great, but the Ex-Sim Max exams were hyper-realistic. YMMV, obviously, but I got a 970/1000 on the CCNA after I consistently got 80s on the Boson tests.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Options
    descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't purchase it for ICND1, but I am seriously contemplating it for ICND2 as I've read through both Odom and Lammle's book twice and watched CBT Nuggets, and am still sort of stressed as to how much more of a learning curve it seems ICND2 is compared to part one. Or maybe that's just me.
  • Options
    Anyone heard of the "Bryant Advantage"? How is that compared to Boson?