Options

Is WGU my best option?

ogrimmmogrimmm Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok guys I'm looking to get a little advice and after reading tons of posts on here I think this would be the best place. Here's my situation -

I have an Associates Degree in Information Systems from 1999. After that I got a Bachelors Degree in a non-IT field. I worked as an IT Tech for 2 1/2 years. However since '03 I have been working in a non-IT field. I got my A+ certification this spring hoping that it would help me get my foot back in the door. I've applied for 50 or so jobs over the past year, and have only had 1 interview. I've researched and read reviews here about WGU and it sounds very appealing for my situation. I see the biggest drawback is my lack of current experience in IT, so I was wondering if getting a Bachelors in IT from WGU along with the certs included would put me over the hump and enable me to get a job back in IT.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Enrolled @ WGU in BS IT: Network Administration 10/2011
Courses Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, LAT1, AXV1, TTV1, INC1, INT1, SST1, SSC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, ITW1, CLC1
Courses Completed: EWB2, WFV1, TNV1, TSV1, TPV1
Courses Left: BOV1, LET1, ORC1, BRV1, MGC1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, TWA1, CPW2

Comments

• Options
    jch0411jch0411 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I looked at UMUC and WGU. I took a class at UMUC. Both are good choices. I just entered the WGU MSISA grad program. Heres why I favor WGU:

- Total disclosure of textbooks, learning style, course content, resources available
    - Excellent online distance education system (MyWGU) that keeps you informed of all important aspects of your coursework and program.
    - Industry certifications earned in some courses, cert test cost is provided
    - Regional accreditation (the only kind that counts)
    - Coursework certified to comply with CNSS
    - Written thesis and oral defense of thesis
    - Fixed tuition cost and ability to accellerate progress thru the program
    - Cost of many texts and learning resources provided as part of tuition. Actually, I was surprised at how many were included.
    - Six month long semesters (I can pack a lot into one semester).

There are many reasons why an institution is a good fit for an individual and for me these were the deciding factors.

Hope this in some way helps you. Good luck!
  • Options
    jch0411jch0411 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just realized I didn't actually address your central question: Will certs and eduction help me break back into IT?

Certs and education will definately help and in many cases are required. Experience is also necessary. Both are the winning combination.

How to get experience - two ways you control:
    - Volunteer to provide IT services your local non-profit, church, community organization. Do a GREAT JOB for them. You will be a hero, learn a lot and gain a glowing recommendation.
    - Walk into the company of your choice and do the above. I did this early in my career and was hired after 2 months - someone else moved on and everyone was in favor of hiring me as the replacement.

Hope this helps you.
  • Options
    alexh47alexh47 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also looking into the Masters of Information security and assurance, how are the on-line courses? I have 3+ years in IT experience and working on Net+ take it , and Security + on , I also have a BS in non IT subject.
    • Currently Working on: MSISA at WGU
    • Current Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think pursuing a CCNA would be more profitable than siging up for a 2nd bachelors degree at first. There are great DVD resources and cheap equipment available for you to work with. I think the fact that you already have an IT degree and a bachelors degree gets you past all of the check boxes needed by HR. A CCNA and some side experience (Volunteer work, contracting web sites that work on a per job basis / even if you work at a loss) would be the best solution to your problem. Do you have friends and family that have computers, networks, and audio/video equipment that need troubleshooting? Start your own little side business with a list of clients, even if they do not pay. That is experience for your resume right there. Just make sure you actually make it legit and start a business for it, even if the business runs at a loss, you can write off the loss on your taxes for 2 to three years, but eventually you need to show/prove motivation to make a profit or the government won't like it.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    alexh47 wrote: »
    I'm also looking into the Masters of Information security and assurance, how are the on-line courses? I have 3+ years in IT experience and working on Net+ take it , and Security + on , I also have a BS in non IT subject.

It depends on what the people reviewing your experience think. They might ask you to take the Security+, if they feel your experience is not sufficient.
    A Simple Admission Process: What’s Needed

Applicants must fall into one of the following categories:
    • Possess an accredited bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer engineering, or computer science.
      or
    • Possess an accredited bachelor’s degree in any discipline and have either 3 years of recent and relevant industry experience or possess the CompTIA Security+ certification. (You may be asked to submit a resume showing at least three years of significant professional experience or proof of possessing this certification.)
    Applicants will be required to take the WGU Readiness Assessment—a short, three-part online admissions test that helps determine the likelihood of success in a WGU program.
    Master Information Security Degree Program | WGU College of Information Technology
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    ogrimmm wrote: »
    Ok guys I'm looking to get a little advice and after reading tons of posts on here I think this would be the best place. Here's my situation -

I have an Associates Degree in Information Systems from 1999. After that I got a Bachelors Degree in a non-IT field. I worked as an IT Tech for 2 1/2 years. However since '03 I have been working in a non-IT field. I got my A+ certification this spring hoping that it would help me get my foot back in the door. I've applied for 50 or so jobs over the past year, and have only had 1 interview. I've researched and read reviews here about WGU and it sounds very appealing for my situation. I see the biggest drawback is my lack of current experience in IT, so I was wondering if getting a Bachelors in IT from WGU along with the certs included would put me over the hump and enable me to get a job back in IT.

Thanks in advance for the input.

If you want a job "right now" the two best options would be dependent upon where you live.

If you live in a strong DoD presence area, then Security+ might be a good start. Other than that, CCNA would be a good start. However, the CCNA is not a piece of cake.

The thing you have to look at with WGU is that you can attend WGU while you work. I do caution you against going to WGU, though, if you're not willing to work hard. I'm just on my first class, and I have to write three papers! I'm hoping this gets easier as I go along, once I get to the more technical classes, as it'll be easier to write about stuff I have more experience in. I mean, seriously, Blue Ocean vs Red Ocean? Get out of here!

This first class was the one I certainly overlooked on the syllabus. While I'm all set and prepared to write about IT Law, Disaster Recovery, Network Security, etc. ... this Organizational Management, while I can see how learning about politics can be useful, as I can draw some parallels to the stuff I see in in the course, not particularly my cup of tea .... but part of education is broadening your horizons, so I can dig it.

Oh well, it's time to go and work on some "Balanced Scorecards" for an assignment.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)