Options

Should I take 620 or 680

Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need one for my pre-req to get EA.

I heard the Vista test is a lot easier, should I go with the Vista test?

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 620 will be much easier, but you'll get more benefit out of taking the 680.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exactly what Psoasman said.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Psoasman wrote: »

I concur.
  • Options
    rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□

icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Knock out 620 is you just want to get it done. It's a mind numbingly easy.

680 is actually kinda hard.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Knock out 620 is you just want to get it done. It's a mind numbingly easy.

680 is actually kinda hard.

The 680 is also worth the effort and you can use it as credit towards the Enterprise Support Technician and the EDA:7.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm just gonna say this.....

You take the 70-620....pass it with little study....you're now a shiny new MCITP:EA.

You apply for a job that's looking for an EA....they're using Windows XP and Windows 7 (not one client is using Vista).

You have on your resume all of your certs....the hiring manager sees you got the Vista cert...he (or she) decides he wants to bust chops and starts hammering you with questions that are relevant to Windows 7.

You start to sweat and panic because you wanted to take the easy way out......

Now....that scenario might not happen, but no one is guarantee you that it won't happen either.

Moral of the story....get the Windows 7 cert.
  • Options
    Windows 7 is the more valuable cert for sure, thanks guys!

But i was wondering, when you put MCITP: EA on your resume, don't you leave off 640, 642, 643, 680?
  • Options

But i was wondering, when you put MCITP: EA on your resume, don't you leave off 640, 642, 643, 680?

Good question....

Mind you, I was just speaking hypothetically for your situation....on your resume, I would only list the major certs like MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, MCITP: Database Administrator 2008, etc...as opposed to each individual MS cert.

I think you got our point though; go for Windows 7 as that's what's being used today (or will be.) A lot of clients are still on XP, but that will be phased out to Windows 7 soon enough.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938

70-680 is a certifcation in itself: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration

I'd list it on your resume assuming you don't have a whole lot of higher level certifications. I can see a lot of HR managers being like "Oh we use Windows 7! He must know about that".

But really, take 70-680. I'm sure you're pursuing your MCITP to learn and 70-680 is really great knowledge to have that you will likely end up using.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    70-680!!!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    70-680 is a certifcation in itself: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration

I'd list it on your resume assuming you don't have a whole lot of higher level certifications. I can see a lot of HR managers being like "Oh we use Windows 7! He must know about that".

But really, take 70-680. I'm sure you're pursuing your MCITP to learn and 70-680 is really great knowledge to have that you will likely end up using.

Understand Windows 7 is a cert in itself, just wondering if it was worth listing when you have SA and EA. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JerryMoyers_NHrTJerryMoyers_NHrT Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need one for my pre-req to get EA.
    I heard the Vista test is a lot easier, should I go with the Vista test?

A lot of companies and individuals still use Vista... and even XP... In my experience, I've found that every cert you have just ads to your value as a potential employee.

-Jerry
  • Options
    Understand Windows 7 is a cert in itself, just wondering if it was worth listing when you have SA and EA. icon_lol.gif

The 680 is definitely worth listing. It's a challenging exam.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 680 is definitely worth listing. It's a challenging exam.

I agree. 70-680 is quite challenging. It kicked my butt!
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    The 680 is also worth the effort and you can use it as credit towards the Enterprise Support Technician and the EDA:7.

Would you say the 70-680 is good for a first timer or would the 70-620 be a good one to get your feet wet with? I have been doing the 70-680 for a ew months but I am finding it really really difficult.
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    Would you say the 70-680 is good for a first timer or would the 70-620 be a good one to get your feet wet with? I have been doing the 70-680 for a ew months but I am finding it really really difficult.

I just passed the 70-680. The 680 touches on a lot of MS networking technologies as well as has items that you would need to know from the installation of any MS Client O/S.

It was not that bad with proper study...a lot of first timers pass this exam on the first go and I suspect many people fail this exam because they underestimate the difficulty. There were a couple of questions I felt had more than one answer, but if you really read into a MS exam question, you can find that the best answer is in fact in front of you.

Take the 70-680 and call it a day. A lot of shops are not using Vista...it's either XP or Windows 7 professional (though I'm going to Enterprise. :D )
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    I think one of the reasons I have struggled is my inability to run 64 bit vms on my machine ( I dont know why, maybe a hardware fault) . Hence my labbing opportunities have been very limited
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]