Options

Capitol College M.S. IA

I had my first class at Capitol College for M.S. in Information Assurance. I went back and forth on which school to attend. I ended up choosing Capitol College because it offered a similar educational experience to UMUC Cyber Sec, but 10,000 cheaper for the degree (20k vs 30k).

I had my first class this past Monday and really enjoyed the lecture. It was online and the professor didn't read from slides, he spoke from his experience. I am really enjoying my experience thus far.

I will continue to write about the degree on this thread.

*My B.S. was at a butt in seat university, so this online option is a great change
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for this! I had looked over their program a couple of times, but nice to get some first hand information.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Kr0ssKr0ss Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ibcritn wrote: »
    I ended up choosing Capitol College because it offered a similar educational experience to UMUC Cyber Sec, but 10,000 cheaper for the degree (20k vs 30k).

*My B.S. was at a butt in seat university, so this online option is a great change

Wait what!? UMUC was more $ that capitol for their masters program!?

That's crazy because their two bachelors are the exact opposites. Capitols bach in IA costs about 5x more than a Bach in Cybersec from UMUC.

Aside from the missing flexibility froms UMUCs online degree, you made the no-brainier if your pricing is correct! GL!
  • Options
    Kr0ssKr0ss Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kr0ss wrote: »

That's crazy because their two bachelors are the exact opposites. Capitols bach in IA costs about 5x more than a Bach in Cybersec from UMUC.

Aside from the missing flexibility froms UMUCs online degree, you made the no-brainier if your pricing is correct! GL!

I just looked on both of their sites and was blown away to see that UMUC charges more for their MS in cybersec than Capitol does for their MS in IA. Aside from not having to sit live (online) for each course, I have no idea why anyone would chose UMUCs MS program over Capitols.
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ibcritn wrote: »
    I had my first class at Capitol College for M.S. in Information Assurance. I went back and forth on which school to attend. I ended up choosing Capitol College because it offered a similar educational experience to UMUC Cyber Sec, but 10,000 cheaper for the degree (20k vs 30k).

I had my first class this past Monday and really enjoyed the lecture. It was online and the professor didn't read from slides, he spoke from his experience. I am really enjoying my experience thus far.

I will continue to write about the degree on this thread.

I'm going to Capitol too. I really like the program so far.
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kr0ss wrote: »

This is just a guess, but the B.S. at Capital is probably taking into account for residence and all the fun that goes with that. Capital appears to only offer one completely online B.S. program and that is in Business Administration ( Online Programs | Capitol College ). Students in the IA program can complete up to two years online, but that still leaves two years of butt-in-seat classes.

The M.S. program, on the other hand, sounds like the recorded lecture type of class. I'm not sure if there is a discussion board or e-list or what-not but the cost to record a course and stream it out, some schools are still sending out dvds, is significantly less than the cost to staff an interactive online course like UMUC does. Also, my experience with recorded lectures has been very poor. Don't get me wrong, WebTycho (UMUC's custom 'blackboard' type application) sucks terribly, but at least it's all laid out at the beginning of the course so you can work out the kinks is need-be. Maybe I've just been unlucky but it always felt like the lectures were just a little out of synch with the material and I never felt prepared for the exams.

In any case - all the best for your future classes. Keep us posted on how the course progresses.
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    grauwulf wrote: »
    The M.S. program, on the other hand, sounds like the recorded lecture type of class.

This is partially true. All three of the classes I've had so far are live online. The professor is there presenting real-time with a slide deck (and thankfully none so far have just read off the slides) and classes last just as long as their brick and mortar counterparts (3 hours). You're still sitting in class...just not in a traditional setting. The lecture is recorded and can be downloaded for replay if you miss class or want to review.

With that said, the classroom app feels a little clunky, but I've never seen any major technical problems occur that caused a class to be cancelled or be prohibative of learning.