Options

Question about my direction

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Looking for some direction in my upcoming role.

First off I have a tendancy to try to do to much at times. I will go 4 months without looking at a book then obsess and knock out 2 certifications. I was like that in school as well.

Anyway I am taking a project management position in the next few months. The project is a Windows 7 deployment roll out. It's still not a 100%, but it's gaining traction so I am going to plan accordingly.

Anyway I spoke to my boss about what I need to learn to get ready for this position. He said to learn MS project and the PMP body of knowledge.

I went ahead and purchased a CAPM study guide and this thing is packed full of knowledge. I have MS project on my work laptop but never use it. He suggested start learning that tool set by creating mock projects and reading tutorials on line.

Well those ideas are great, but I feel like my knowledge of Windows 7 is not up to par. I decided to attempt to get certified in Windows 7 70-680. Do you think this thinking is flawed? Part of me is asking myself why the heck are you doing this. The other part of me likes to understand the technology so I make more informed decisions which in turn would give me a great chance of delivering.

Obviously you can't do everything. I have about just over a week invested in 70-680 and things are coming along fairly well. There are some struggles no doubts there.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been on my mind lately. I really want to prep myself the best I can for this opportunitiy. It means so much to me.

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just my $.02, but I'd learn MS Project. Proect managers don't need to be subject matter experts, they need to be good project managers. If that makes sense.

I also would think if your soon to be new employer thought you needed to sharpen up on Win7 (based on your resume), he probably would have told you that. How would it look if you start and he asks you to do something in MS Project, and you can't?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you are going to be a project manager for a Windows 7 migration, it only makes sense to study up on how to do the migration. That way, you'll have a better understanding of what this will entail.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Since you are going to be a project manager for a Windows 7 migration, it only makes sense to study up on how to do the migration. That way, you'll have a better understanding of what this will entail.

This is what I was thinking.

I don't need to be a master, but I do like certifications and I was thinking of doing the 70-680. I have always been good with operating systems and enjoyed them so it's kind of fun. I never have been one to do a certification without purpose which usually is driven by my job or career path.

I like project management, service management, and process improvement, but it's nice to step back from the management/statistical process analysis and just learn the technology. It's almost like a breath of fresh air. I am losing my tech skills quite a bit, so this in some ways is my way of proving to myself I haven't lost it while gaining a better understanding of the technology we will be rolling out. This by no means replaces my Lean/Six Sigma approach or PMBOK (project management body of knowledge). Those are critical to my success from a project management role and process improvement.

Cheers
  • Options
    Once you are done with the 680, you might do the 685 to get the Enterprise support tech cert. It'd be a good way to brush on the current OS troubleshooting.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Once you are done with the 680, you might do the 685 to get the Enterprise support tech cert. It'd be a good way to brush on the current OS troubleshooting.

Does 680 transition into 686 pretty well?
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    70-178 is certification for MS Project. I have been reading a book on that. Happy, Robert (2010-07-15). Project 2010 Project Management: Real World Skills for Certification and Beyond (Exam 77-17icon_cool.gif Sybex. Kindle Edition. It steps you phase by phase and using MS Project for each. I also picked up Project 2010 step by step and the missing manual.

I am also reading through Sybex Project+ info.

I am working towards becoming a project coordinator.
  • Options
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    70-178 is certification for MS Project. I have been reading a book on that. Happy, Robert (2010-07-15). Project 2010 Project Management: Real World Skills for Certification and Beyond (Exam 77-17icon_cool.gif Sybex. Kindle Edition. It steps you phase by phase and using MS Project for each. I also picked up Project 2010 step by step and the missing manual.

I am also reading through Sybex Project+ info.

I am working towards becoming a project coordinator.

Thanks for the information!
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Does 680 transition into 686 pretty well?

Both certs complement each other.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    Congrats! You've got a great opportunity to shine. Project management is a very desirable skill. I'd love to get the PMP cert after I achieve the CCIE.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    sieff wrote: »
    Congrats! You've got a great opportunity to shine. Project management is a very desirable skill. I'd love to get the PMP cert after I achieve the CCIE.

Thanks fingers are crossed. Still waiting to hear this officially. You know how this goes!
  • Options