Options

Booked my CCENT exam

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
I've finally gone and done it! and that is booked my ICND1 exam for next week. I've covered a lot of the main areas in detail such as subnetting, switching and routing concepts, routing protocols. I've praticed setting up networks in using 4 routers, 4 switches, IP hosts as well as dns servers and dhcp from the router. Also used static, default and rip protocols as well as done some basic debugging such as ip packet and rip.

I'm now studying the SDM which all I can do with this is watch cbt nuggets vids and read any material i have on the subject. Can anyone tell me how big an area this is on the exams? What i am asking should not violate (i hope) any laws as I am not directly asking for specific questions or ****. I know that SDM is on the ICND1 exam objectives but i have read on here several posts where people who sat the ICND1 didn't see any SDM questions or related simulations.Either way i will prepare thoroughly but just want to know if anyone has seen SDM questions in icnd1.

Also one other thing when I sit down in the exam center to take the ICND1 am I allowed to write down things like osi layers, powers of 2 before clicking on the start button to being the exam?
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I scheduled mine for 9/13, sounds like you have prepared WAY more than me, boooooooo me
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As far as SDM goes, there isn't much to it for ICND1 anyways, so the videos you're watching should give you the information you need on what it looks like/how to use DHCP/NAT on there. Don't stress out too much about that.

At my test center, they told me I couldn't write anything on the pad until I actually started the test. So I believe it may be based on how strict your testing center is, as I've heard others start writing on there as soon as they sit down.

Either way, good luck!
  • Options
    Steveg31Steveg31 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took my test this past Saturday. I passed :)
    The SDM videos won't be needed until probably the ICND2/CCNA test. Focus on your subnetting, routers/switches commands, network+/security+ stuff and everything else you mentioned besides the SDM.

As for the writing pad. I wrote down my powers of 2's/subnet chart while I was going through the example questions. Many people here has completed it, doing that. I would still say ask. (Although I didn't ask) Don't follow me.

You'll do fine. I was honestly over-prepared as the exam is easier than I thought. Finished with 25 minutes left on the clock. It seems like you're more prepared than I was also.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I scheduled mine for 9/13, sounds like you have prepared WAY more than me, boooooooo me

lol I find i need to go over things a lot as my memory is quite bad these days.I am amazed at how much I have learnt (given that i didnt ever think i'd work out how to configure dhcp or dns) and pass or fail i'll just give it my best shot.

Best of luck to you on your big day!:)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've finally gone and done it! and that is booked my ICND1 exam for next week. I've covered a lot of the main areas in detail such as subnetting, switching and routing concepts, routing protocols. I've praticed setting up networks in using 4 routers, 4 switches, IP hosts as well as dns servers and dhcp from the router.

So much hardware for CCENT preparation? I guess you are almost ready to take CCNA directly! For CCENT/CCNA, a router/switch network simulator such as Boson NetSim or CertExams.com Network Simulator would be a better choice. Make sure that you have taken some practice tests with simlets and router simulation questions just like in the actual cert exam.

Good luck!