Options

Question about 301 study material

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
For those who have passed the 301, would you say that the Dulaney book would be sufficient? Or would reading the Gibson book, Dulaney book, going through the info on this great site, and using Professor Messor would be best (or overkill)?
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I haven't read the Dulaney book so I can't speak to it. The SY0-201 Gibson book explains much of the material, though there are new objectives in the SY0-301 exam. The CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead:SY0-301 Practice Test Questions book (search B005LD5NRQ on Amazon)
    includes practice test questions for all the objectives in the SY0-301 exam.

You probably know this, but you can still take the SY0-201 exam up until December 31, 2011 and I haven't run across any employers that care what version you take, as long as you're certified.

(Full disclosure note: I'm a little biased on the Gibson books since I wrote them.)

Darril Gibson
    Author
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Hi Darril!

I actually bought your book (kindle edition) to prep for this. I actually didn't know that I can still take the 201 until the end of this year, as it seemed that I could only take the 301. Thanks for the info!

I've taken a look at your site, and may pick up your MP3s to prep as well.

I will be taking the Windows 7 (70-680) test soon as well, and saw your Windows 7 books (may pick those up as well).

Are you creating any new cert books at all?

Thanks for the great resources!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Glad the info helped. CompTIA seems to keep the Dec 31, 2011 retirement date for SY0-201 pretty well hidden so a lot of people miss it. It's buried in the last sentence of this news release (News & Updates > What), but that's about the only place you'll find it on their site today.

Yes, I am working on new books. Besides the SY0-301 books, I'm in the final stages of a SSCP book for the new objectives, and recently started a larger project.

Darril Gibson

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So what if you can take the 201? It's archaic. Why would you waste time studying for an archaic test? The 201 is only for people who already work in IT and are required to get additional certification, like managers who need to know what the hell things like SSL and file hashes are. My advice is not to take advice from people who are (self-admittedly) biased.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi Darril!

I actually bought your book (kindle edition) to prep for this. I actually didn't know that I can still take the 201 until the end of this year, as it seemed that I could only take the 301. Thanks for the info!

I've taken a look at your site, and may pick up your MP3s to prep as well.

I will be taking the Windows 7 (70-680) test soon as well, and saw your Windows 7 books (may pick those up as well).

Are you creating any new cert books at all?

Thanks for the great resources!
    Darrils Windows 7 Command Guide should be required for anyone prepping for that test (70-680) with the amount of command line stuff I hear is on that test. It's helped me a lot since I've gotten it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows 7 Command Guide? That's new. I have a study guide for the SY0-301 and I don't see any need to know Windows 7, and I guarantee I can take any practice test for it and acheive a high score. This must be specific to the Microsoft test.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Darrils Windows 7 Command Guide should be required for anyone prepping for that test (70-680) with the amount of command line stuff I hear is on that test. It's helped me a lot since I've gotten it.
    Glad you like that book. It's actually a book that I reference when I can't remember the syntax of a command. It's not very useful for Security+, but I was recently doing some work related to A+ and it had the answers. Even though I wrote it, my brain seems to have some "leakage" and I can't remember everything, so I was grateful I had a source to easily find the answers.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
  • Options
    mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that is a great point of view, like i explained to Darryl ,have studied the material for years. i am going to take the 201, i am currently in the field now and are network plus certified as well, but i do need the sec + before the year is out.