Options

Serial question

ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I am trying to get my lab going. I have a small issue / question.

I have a couple 1760's and 2611xm. I have a variety of WIC 1T's and 8 port serial cards, etc. I have DCE to DTE serial cables.

I plug said serial cables into the WIC cards, and after configuring the interfaces and ensuring they are not shut down, etc, it says the status of the interface is up, but protocol is down. I configure the serial interfaces the exact same way in GNS3, and the line protocol is up, so I don't think it's my configuration. Interfaces on the other end are configured and not shut down as well. I can go on to configure everything else in GNS3 and EIGRP starts working, etc. (receiving updates from the other routers). I'd like to get my physical lab going though.

Ideas?

Note: GNS3 is running 12.4T IOS - the physical 1760's are running 12.3(3), if that may make a difference.
GNS3:

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
FastEthernet0/0 unassigned YES unset administratively down down
Serial0/0 17.0.0.1 YES manual up up

1760:

Router#sh ip int br
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot
ocol
FastEthernet0/0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

Serial0/0 17.0.0.1 YES manual up down
Currently working on:
CISSP
MSFT 70-417
CCNA

Comments

• Options
    Never mind :) A buddy of mine was able to assist - on the DCE end I had to set the clockrate to 64000. I did not need to do that in GNS3. Just another benefit of physical equipment I guess.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    glad to see it worked out for you. I am looking to grab a couple of routers to compliment my 1760. How many WICs do you rekon I need?

Thanks!
  • Options
    NewManSoon wrote: »
    glad to see it worked out for you. I am looking to grab a couple of routers to compliment my 1760. How many WICs do you rekon I need?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I have 2 1760's, a 2611xm, and a 3620. The 3620 has a NM8/AS which I am using for frame relay, each 1760 has 2 WIC 1T's and the 2611xm has a WIC 2T.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can never have too many. The further you get, the more you learn, the more you will try, and the more you will need. :)
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    If you have enough ram and flash , you could put the same image on both the 1760's and in gsn3.

Can get cables to conect from wic1t to wic2t if needed
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014