Options

The Bryant Advantage - CCENT

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
so maybe this a dumb question, but where else would one ask dumb questions?

I bought and downloaded the CCENT/CCNA studyguide from The Bryant Advantage. It says you can download it on 2 sources, laptop, desktop etc.

But the email with the codes said you can have it on 2 concurrent sources, and you have to be online. So to me that says I can have it open at 2 places at once, as opposed to only downloading it twice.

The point is, I'm in the process of combining houses with the soon to be wifey, last night i downloaded it on her laptop at her house. I also plan on downloading it on my home computer at my house. But if it's possible, i'd like to also have it on my work computer, but I don't want to burn a source here at work, since I'll have more time on my home computer.

Anyone have experience with TBA and know how this works?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can only have it on two machines at one time. It needs the internet the first time to register the computer. After that, no internet is required. I think I had it open at home while I also had it opened at work. I had an issue where I tried to install it at work and it said I reached the maxium registration. I emailed Chris and he reset the count on his end so I could get it installed.

I would say email Chris and see what he says.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    thanks1
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is it worth it?
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    I loved it for my ccent. Chris has a great way helping you understand the content.i am currently using it for my CCNA.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I think I may be one the few that absolutely hated the delivery format he uses. I tried for a few days to like it but couldn't deal with the ebook format from 1999. I understand he is trying to protect his intellectual property but that format definitely doesn't work for me.

Note that he offers a satisfaction guarantee and will give you your money back. Even though I was very dissatisfied I decided not to claim it.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    agree on his ebook format, even worse than chm's
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    What is the file format? I was thinking about getting it but was going to try and use it on a kindle.
  • Options
    i'm only a day or so into it, but I do like it, and it's only $25 for CCENT and CCNA material combined, with an upgrade to CCNA Security stuff too, pretty sweet deal
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    What is the file format? I was thinking about getting it but was going to try and use it on a kindle.

It's an Ebook Pro formatted Ebook. Which is some sort of proprietary Ebook display application. The book itself is an exe. It's reminiscent of a windows 95 application. Oddly, you can't copy or highlight anything, but you can print the book out. Which really makes the security measures mute (printing is allowed per Bryant).

The content is brief and straight to the point. With easy to understand simple graphics to support the concepts. I don't consider it a main source for study, but it does do a great job at being a refresher or delivering quick notes on how a topic is configured.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    onesaint wrote: »

The content is brief and straight to the point. With easy to understand simple graphics to support the concepts. I don't consider it a main source for study, but it does do a great job at being a refresher or delivering quick notes on how a topic is configured.

At this point I've already re-read a Sybex Network+ review guide, the Exam Cram CCENT book and Sybex's CCENT book, but this Bryant stuff is completely different.

I mainly bought it for the practice test, but I think it really has helped me make sense of a lot of topics instead of just knowing this word goes with that word
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    At this point I've already re-read a Sybex Network+ review guide, the Exam Cram CCENT book and Sybex's CCENT book, but this Bryant stuff is completely different.

I mainly bought it for the practice test, but I think it really has helped me make sense of a lot of topics instead of just knowing this word goes with that word

Yeah, I know what you mean. A concepts vs. command memorization kind of thing. The book formats run in two camps from what I have come across. Either highly detailed and dry or brief and to the point. I think in the end Lammle's (Sybex) CCNA book does a good job of combining those writing styles. Glad to hear Bryant's book is turning out to be a good resource for you.

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are looking for Kindle material for ccent, ccna, etc Paul Browning over at ************.net has all his study guides in Kindle format, and I think they are 12.00 or less. I havent looked at them, but I know folks who have used his printed books and passed easily.
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    If you are looking for Kindle material for ccent, ccna, etc Paul Browning over at ************.net has all his study guides in Kindle format, and I think they are 12.00 or less. I havent looked at them, but I know folks who have used his printed books and passed easily.

His stuff is on par with Chris Bryants. It's the same short and concise format as Bryants. I think Paul Browning really goes to great lengths to make his site a comprehensive package for the CCNA studies (and other exams).

• Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    got the $25 deal with the added ccna security stuff last week. have only glanced over it but it looks good so far.. I hate reading ebooks so I printed it out , well I printed it to adobe pdf (I have the full adobe on my work pc) and then printed it out... so i have a pdf to drag around on my netbook or notebook and then a hard copy when i am labbing or just wasting time at work..... i do the same with all ebooks and it really helps to get a physical copy you can easily flip through and highlight, add notes, etc.. (yes I know you can do that with adobe, but I hate reading on a pc)....
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Did you manage to print it to 1 file or many ?
    When it printed it came out as a separate pdf per chapter(using pdf 995 -free)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    came out as separate chapters, but I merged them (used the actual full adobe version).
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    So you can use adobe full and print it to a pdf? If so that's fine for me with a kindle.
  • Options
    So you can use adobe full and print it to a pdf? If so that's fine for me with a kindle.

You can print the book separately with some sort of PDF printer (Bullzip maybe or Acrobat Pro). Then if you have Adobe Acrobat Professional you can merge the printed documents into one PDF. Other software can do this as well. Adobe Reader X (the latest) isn't able to merge PDFs like this as far as I know. You can create PDFs online with Adobe Reader, but I haven't tried this.

ETA: I've read on Bryant's site that you can print a hard copy, but nothing about PDFs or what not. So, I'm not so sure if this somehow breaks your purchase agreement or usage rights to Bryant's guide.

• Options
    SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was able to print my ebook with Bullzip, it printed out in like 20 sections.
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    In regards to the initial question, you can only have it active on two computers period. There is a button on the top bar to "Register / Unregister" the ebook to that computer. So you can bounce between wherever you want, as long as you have unregistered it with one of the computers it was on previously.
  • Options
    hey thanks sdot
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark