Options

Storage+Beta is ready

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I got this from my linked in account, so it's cut and paste.

CompTIA is working on "Storage+", a partnership with SNIA (storage networking assn.). The beta is available at no charge right now through VUE testing centers (VUE only, not Prometric). The deadline for taking the exam is early-mid October. CompTIA needs 400 IT professionals with experience in storage issues to take this exam, in order to move forward. The exam number for registration is SG1-001. Please help if you can.

A couple of other details about the Storage+ beta: To get the exam at no charge, you must enter the discount code "storsnia" when the payment page appears. Also: When 400 people have taken the beta, the exam will no longer be available--even if you have registered but not yet taken it. So if you are interested, take the exam soon!

THe only downer is you must take the exam early, otherwise someone migh take your spot.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    cool im off to the testing center today ill see if i can take it today
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Doesn't show in the list of available certifications icon_sad.gif (Prometric)

Edit: Ah, should read properly .. not VUE .. now they don't have my details on file yet .. guess I gotta wait a bit now for them to get in contact with CompTia
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Doesn't show in the list of available certifications icon_sad.gif (Prometric)

sorry....It's only Available through VUE...
    The beta is available at no charge right now through VUE testing centers (VUE only, not Prometric).
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    sorry....It's only Available through VUE...

Yea answered my own question already :) .. now at the mercy of VUE / CompTIA to update my details .. Funny .. only exam I got is the Server+ which was a free Beta too :p
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    THe only downer is you must take the exam early, otherwise someone migh take your spot.

Heed that. When I tried to take the CASP beta several months ago, I was registered and all of that. CompTIA/VUE cancelled my appointment at the last second. In fact, if I hadn't checked my email when I had, I would have been on my way to Queens.....a waste on gas and tolls.

This time it's in Manhattan for me....I have it for this Saturday, but lets see how it goes.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck guys and gals.

Bring us back a winner!
  • Options
    took the test 120 questions

just know your raid types
    lots of questions on fabric
    and drive speeds/types
    a good bit on tapes
    backup processes
    a good bit about redundancy
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Do you know right away if you pass? When I took my beta Network+ 10 years ago we got the results 45 days after.
  • Options
    no they did not tell me
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does CompTIA have objectives listed for this yet? I'm sure I'd fail but it could be fun to just hop in and see.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yes, objectives are on CompTIA's site. I looked at them and it's really a bullet list of every single storage term you think of. Didn't give me a concrete idea on what to focus. I booked the test but not expecting much.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Does CompTIA have objectives listed for this yet? I'm sure I'd fail but it could be fun to just hop in and see.

This might help..warning it’s a lot!! Some possible good resources.....

SNIA Video Tutorials | Storage Networking Industry Association

http://coursepaks.snia.org/

http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files/Exam%20Prep%20Guide%20-%20SQDPA.pdf

http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files/Exam%20Prep%20Guide%20-%20SQSVA.pdf

SNIA Tutorials | Storage Networking Industry Association

Good luck on the exam!

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    How long does it take for VUE to finally acknowledge my previous CompTIA exams ?!?
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    How long does it take for VUE to finally acknowledge my previous CompTIA exams ?!?

Never mind, despite the info that "I will receive an email once they have add my CompTIA ID to my account" it actually was added already ... signed up for Wednesday next week :)
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Do you know right away if you pass? When I took my beta Network+ 10 years ago we got the results 45 days after.

I got my pass for the Beta Server+ about 8 months later :)

You can't really put a time on it as you only get the results once they have finalized the exam and decided what metrics are used for pass / fail marks .. Even though they might have an idea at which point they want to finish that exam, they might not make the time line ... so all you can do is, forget about it and act surprised if you get a pass or fail :p
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you get the notificiation that you passed, does that earn you the same credentials as you would if you were to pay for the exam when it is in full swing?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    When you get the notificiation that you passed, does that earn you the same credentials as you would if you were to pay for the exam when it is in full swing?

Yes, it is exactly the same. It doesn't even say Beta on the transcript.
  • Options
    I have my exam in a couple of hours. I have decided that I will drive into the City (Manhattan). Even with all the 9/11 terror threat going on. I would have rescheduled it, but then I'd be assed-out of taking this beta too like I was with CASP.

I have not studied for this exam....I want to see how much I know/don't know. I have configured EMC SANs for over the past decade....know a good deal about HBAs, RAIDs, LUNs, etc.....I'm not saying I will pass the exam, but I feel comfortable enough to sit for it (especially for free). It's a true 50/50 shot that I earn this cert, assuming I sit for it.

Wish me luck.
  • Options
    PC509 wrote: »
    Yes, it is exactly the same. It doesn't even say Beta on the transcript.

Almost a shame lol - would mean you knew it all before the exam was even released :)
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just tried signing up on the Vue website and it says it cost $246.00. I guess they met their 400 participants. I guess it's no longer free to take the beta exam.
  • Options
    Did you follow the instructions in the original post and put in the voucher/promo code?

Just FYI, this exam was a beast.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks icon_thumright.gif
    I scheduled the exam for Monday.
  • Options
    Joshuab009Joshuab009 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Testing on the 23rd. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Joshuab009 wrote: »
    Testing on the 23rd. Thanks for the info.

You should check your emails. CompTIA have been known to send last-minute exam cancellations after the required number of candidates was reached. I dont know whether you carefully read what it said on the first page when signing up, it said first 400 candidates have a free shot. So if you are number 402, you cannot take the exam, even though you had a confirmation when you signed up.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Did you follow the instructions in the original post and put in the voucher/promo code?

Just FYI, this exam was a beast.

Sure wasnt easy. I got hammered with loads of SAN/fabric questions. I answered most of the RAID/backups/DR questions but some of these SAN questions, either you know the answer or you dont. You cannot arrive at one.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Pretty cool.. Too bad I don't work with SANs anymore icon_sad.gif

Although CompTIA stuff isn't usually that complicated maybe I'll take a stab just for fun..
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like all other CompTIA exams, the exam was straight forward with no tricks, if you know the basics you will pass.

I think knowing the contents of the course would be useful to any server admin even if he / she does not work with network storage.
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    I registered, Im going to call the testing center to see if I can change my testing date. The voucher won’t allow you the schedule anything after the 23rd.
  • Options
    Cant, so Im going in on the 22nd. Wish there was an objectives list. Im sure I would knock it out. Oh well here goes nothing :)
  • Options
    Where can I get info on Fabric? Regarding drive speeds which drives/types if you can remeber?
    took the test 120 questions

just know your raid types
    lots of questions on fabric
    and drive speeds/types
    a good bit on tapes
    backup processes
    a good bit about redundancy