Options

Windows Server 2008 vs. Windows 7

A few questions:

1) Is Server 2008 the equivalent to Windows 7 when it comes to software versions? For example, if I have Server 2008 installed and I want to install a program or even a game, when buying or downloading would I choose Windows 7, Vista, XP, all of the above, or none of the above (when Server 2008 is not an option)?

2) How compatible is it with XP based software? More than Vista?

3) Can you dual boot between XP Pro and Server 2008? Is it necessary?

I ask these questions because I plan to go for some MCITP certs in the future and get Server 2008, but I only have one PC to work with right now and could use a fresh upgrade (or a clean re-install, at least) on my XP system I'm currently using using the heck out of it and don't want to lose too much - if any - functionality with it nor interfere with anything by upgrading to Server 2008, which will be primarily installed to play with and learn. But if it's just a super-beefed-up version of Windows 7 and accepts all my old/new software I'm using now on XP, perhaps I should just use 2008 only? Can anyone offer suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You would want to use VMware Player or VirtualBox. No need to dual boot or anything like that. With the release of WIndows 7 and Server 2008 R2 the 2 OSes share a kernel for the first time in a few generations. So in theory anything that works on Windows 7 should also work under Server 2008 R2. But none of that should matter much if you are using virtualization.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1) 2008 R2is equivalent to Windows 7. 2008 would be Vista. They should all be relatively equivalent. Why are you installing games on Server 2008?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    1) 2008 R2is equivalent to Windows 7. 2008 would be Vista. They should all be relatively equivalent. Why are you installing games on Server 2008?

As I said, this would be my main PC to use for everyday tasks and for exploring/learning Server 2008 (R2). I was asking if it would be possible/sensible to do both, since this is the only PC I have available.
  • Options
    As I said, this would be my main PC to use for everyday tasks and for exploring/learning Server 2008 (R2). I was asking if it would be possible/sensible to do both, since this is the only PC I have available.

The server OS is optimized for throughput, not for running local applications like games. You need virtualization technology - not the ability to run games on the server OS.
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    The server OS is optimized for throughput, not for running local applications like games. You need virtualization technology - not the ability to run games on the server OS.
    Good point and I'll look into this, but for anyone else who may inquire about this topic, I found this information:

Can you run games on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

which led me to this:

Convert your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a Workstation! -

FYI, I'm not necessarily going to be using it as a gaming PC per se, I just wanted to know how possible it would be to use it as an everyday computer to do such things as browsing the interenet, watch DVDs, YouTube, run utility & conversion programs, Photoshop, multitasking, etc., with an added bonus of being able to run higher powered graphical apps I currently use sometimes and a bigger added bonus of having the Server features & functionality available.
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    If you just want to explore Server 2008 R2, I'd suggest to use VMWare or Virtual Box. Put win 7 on your pc, install the vm, then put 2K8 R2 in the vm. This way you can do you normal stuff with win 7, then turn on vm to play with 2k8 R2
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    I agree wit Simtech. Either that or use win7 and dare i say it virtual PC. This way the normal everyday use can be used on your win 7 or even XP machine. The use viratul PC or VMware to practice your server stuff on.

Its what i did till i got my own server. (Sad but true):D
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I completely disagree with above statements. Currently I am running Server 2008 R2 as my desktop OS with the Hyper-v server role installed. I am running 8 VM's currently and still have 6gb (out 16gb) of ram free which allows me to continue to use my computer for daily tasks and as a lab.

So far every piece of software I have tried that I used with Win7 works on 2008 R2.

I dont see why anyone would want to run an inferior product like vmware workstation over doing it this way. vmware workstation etc... are not hypervisors and are slow, you're also not going to be able to build a very good lab for these exams without using an actual hypervisor.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I agree wit Simtech. Either that or use win7 and dare i say it virtual PC. This way the normal everyday use can be used on your win 7 or even XP machine. The use viratul PC or VMware to practice your server stuff on.

Its what i did till i got my own server. (Sad but true):D

You cannot use Virtual PC with Server 2008 R2, as it doesn't support 64 bit guest OS. You will need to use Virtual Box or VMPlayer/Desktop.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Just use a VHD and Duel Boot Win7 and Server 2008 R2 and use Hyper-V if you don't wanna pay for VM-Ware.

Hyper-V work's just fine for labbing.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    You cannot use Virtual PC with Server 2008 R2, as it doesn't support 64 bit guest OS. You will need to use Virtual Box or VMPlayer/Desktop.

Sorry my bad. Was sat reading my ms press book for the 643 and it says to use Virtual PC icon_sad.gif

Not used it myself as have a esxi box.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    You can get away with using it for non-R2 installations.