Options

What cert next please?

1233412334 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have been an IT person for 13 years now. Most of my experience has been in Desktop Support and I have never been able to get a job outside of that scope without taking a pay cut. (Pay is super important to me...just being honest) A few years ago, I got into application packaging using HP Radia/Novadigm. I was offered a few SCCM/Wise positions in the past based upon the fact that I know how to package and deploy applications but I did not accept the positions for personal reasons. It seems like "Desktop" positions weren't the "thing" a few years ago but now I work as a gov't contractor in the DC area for a major entity as a Desktop Engineer and there are plenty of great paying opportunities.

My career started long ago with my A+, N+, and MCP on NT 4.0. I also went to technical school 2 years and then College for 2 years because I couldn't afford a Bachelor's degree outright. I can always claim equivalent to a Bachelor's degree and have never had anyone argue with me.

Around 2000, I decided to stop certifying because I made enough money and didn't see the above 3 certs raising my earnings so I gave up.

Many years passed and I could not get an employer to reimburse me for anything and I was down on my luck so I was FAR too broke to certify.

In 2010, I obtained employment which allowed me to certify to meet the DOD-8570 directive by obtaining my Sec+. I took the Security+ and was immediately given part time duties as an ISSO. My duties weren't of the status qo. I basically worked with GPOs and reverse engineered them. I also did very junior things on a need to know basis.

I left that entity and obtained a job working with SCCM. I got my employer to pay for my 70-680 exam and paid for my 70-686 getting me MCTS and MCITP Desktop Administrator.

I don't really like SCCM but like other aspects of Desktop Engineering especially the security side. I would like to go Certified Ethical Hacker but don't see them reimbursing me for that and not sure if I could ever get a Forensics job or Penetration job without a Top Secret/SCI Full Scope Poly Clearance. (I presently hold a Top Secret Clearance without an SCI).

Desktop Engineering pays the bills well and SCCM work has saved my life.

I really would like to do something interesting for once God forbid but getting bills paid is more important.

Any ideas on what certs to get next based on this? I want to continue my career path around Desktop Engineering since it has become lucrative and have little interest in servers.

I got the easiest and cheapest tests out of the way first. I'd like to continue without remaining dormant for a long time as I have done in the past.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I was just looking on Craig's List for my area and they had 10+ jobs posted just for today looking for CCNA'S made me think about switching from MCITP EA to CCNA just for a second.

You stated that you didn't wanna work with servers So MCITP SA/EA would be out.

I vote for CCNA

A CCNA would also get you on the track towards eithical hacker.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for the CCNA.icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts....not sure if I can ever become an ethical hacker if I don't get a TS/SCI with poly. Can I become one for the private sector? How realistic is that?

Not sure I want to get too involved with networking either. I have always had a hard time understanding networking and forgot what little I did learn because I was never able to convince anyone that I was "worthy" of a networking job when I did know some networking.

Doesn't the CCNA deal heavily in networking? Also noticing that CCNA isn't part of the 8570 directive (which is sort of important out here).
  • Options
    What about CEH? I really don't care much about defending a network, would rather hack or perform forensics for the government.

Might that be the right direction? CEH is an 8570 cert too.

Thanks
  • Options
    Also, is "CCNA Security" as good of a cert as "CCNA" for the above stated purposes? I have materials handy for "CCNA Security" but not for "CCNA"

Thanks!
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    12334 wrote: »
    Also, is "CCNA Security" as good of a cert as "CCNA" for the above stated purposes? I have materials handy for "CCNA Security" but not for "CCNA"

Thanks!

CCNA is a requirement to obtain CCNA Security.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    CCNA is a requirement to obtain CCNA Security.

Thanks for clearing that up!
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Thanks for clearing that up!

IT Certification - Cisco - Cisco Systems

This should help you figure out your pathing. :)
  • Options
    Thanks QHalo...still undecided as to whether or not there is anypoint in pursuing Forensics if I can't attach a poly to my clearance.

Still don't know if I want to go the Cisco route.
    QHalo wrote: »
    IT Certification - Cisco - Cisco Systems

This should help you figure out your pathing. :)
  • Options
    joeykeisjoeykeis Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Doesn't the CCNA deal heavily in networking? Also noticing that CCNA isn't part of the 8570 directive (which is sort of important out here).
    For 8570 look under IAT 2 Under OS Certs, the CCENT/CCNA are both there... If your going the Gov Route, especially in Security it will most likely require a Poly icon_sad.gif.
  • Options
    Joey, this is what I was looking for. Do you have a link where it shows that. I don't see anything reflecting that (there are a million broken links to the same thing).

If I left the Federal circle are there jobs doing Forensics/Hacking?

Thanks!
    joeykeis wrote: »
    For 8570 look under IAT 2 Under OS Certs, the CCENT/CCNA are both there... If your going the Gov Route, especially in Security it will most likely require a Poly icon_sad.gif.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you enjoy desktop, how about working towards desktop virtualization?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Have repeatedly explored this but the cost of the certificate plus being required to do non self stufy puts me off. Combine this with the fact that it would probably work out better if I had a box that was VMWare esxi compatible and I am completely put off by the cost. Employer is not footing the bill.icon_sad.gif
    dave330i wrote: »
    If you enjoy desktop, how about working towards desktop virtualization?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have repeatedly explored this but the cost of the certificate plus being required to do non self stufy puts me off. Combine this with the fact that it would probably work out better if I had a box that was VMWare esxi compatible and I am completely put off by the cost. Employer is not footing the bill.icon_sad.gif

There was a long thread in the virtualization section regarding paying for VCP out of pocket. Many have expressed that its a sound investment in future earning potential and worth it. I paid for it out of pocket, then got a new job with 40% pay increase.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    There was a long thread in the virtualization section regarding paying for VCP out of pocket. Many have expressed that its a sound investment in future earning potential and worth it. I paid for it out of pocket, then got a new job with 40% pay increase.

Thank you for this thought. Hmmmm...only thing is that I am not so sure there is a whole lot more headroom for me as far as financial headroom goes in the Desktop Engineering area. However, job security and the ease of being able to switch jobs for a better commute is important. I don't know where you reside in VA but I live in the Fredericksburg area (actually semi-rural Spotsylvania). Any door that opens for a better commute is worthy of consideration.