Options

Not sure which direction to go in next...

tripolitrxtripolitrx Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, just came across this place in a seemingly aimless search about which cert direction to go in, and was hoping for a few words of advice. I'm currently unemployed and actively seeking work, actually Ive been seeking work for over a year now due to loosing both my previous tech positions as a result of redundancy and a crappy economy. I moved from the UK to the USA after loosing my second, short (only 3 months) position. I'm pretty much in the Pittsburgh area now, which is apparently a bit of an IT hub (yet I'm still looking for work...)

While I was unemployed in the UK, i managed to scrape enough cash together to put myself though my MCDST, that in turn led to my my brief 3 month stint with my local council. After moving over to the US, I seemed to be struggling with jobs, meaning not even call backs after application submissions. Due to that i put my self though the MCITP upgrade path for MCDSTs, so I'm now an enterprise administrator. As a result of getting that cert, i acquired an MCTS also for Win 7 configuration. While there is a little more interest in my resume now, there still doesn't seem enough....

My problem is (I think) I am lacking work experience, i only managed a year and a half at my second to previous job, which was my first experience in the corporate world, with AD/exchange wintel support etc, I guess tier 1/2 help desk stuff. Here i was being trained up to be an analyst, which was cut short due to forced redundancy, and as a result, shown alot of cool tech (VMware, ESX servers, Backups Servers etc) but didn't fully understand it all, I was getting to grips with it, then let go. A year later and a self taught MCDST, I landed a postion on a roll out project, a bit of AD deployment, ghosting, beta testing win 7 on new builds, not much else.

So almost a year later, i find myself with an MCDST, MCTS, and an MCITP, and am not entirely sure what to do next. I considered a Network +, just to firm up my patchy network knowledge, (just not sure what sort of level network plus takes you to) I want to go in the direction of a network/systems admin, really not a fan of help desk stuff, but due to my patchy knowledge, and pretty much zero real server experience (ie physically setting up and so forth) kinda at a loss what to do. Ive been applying for, I guess more entry level positions, not tier 1, but simpler tier 2 positions with smaller companies.

I suppose i would like to know what cert direction would better equip me to go towards the server side of things, or to get my foot in teh door to do helpdesk and work towards moving into server stuff, I still don't know I'm I'm entirely under or overqualified for the positions I am applying for, or if I'm pricing myself out of positions which overly optimistic/pessimistic salary requirements.

Any advice is appreciated guys

Trip

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think that the MCITP:EA should be your next move. I would take any IT job you can get and then ride it out. I'm told that after you hit the five year mark in IT it starts to get better.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response, that would be exam 647 yea? I'm believe i need to do 3 exams to achieve this? all server 2k8, AD config, App infrastructure and config, Network Infrastructure and config?

I think thats the order, definitely sounds like it would point me in the right direction, quite an investment though... Do you think the Network plus would be a waste of time? maybe just go the MS route instead? Ive read lots of conflicting info about the value of Comptia certs, they are also pricey, around 260 bucks....alot compared to M$ certs....

I suppose my only concern would be the complexity of it, the win 7 upgrade was a tough exam, way harder then the previous XP certs, failed it first attempt, just a lil concerned the server certs are gonna blow my tiny mind lol Without a job its alot to invest in study materials and such just to prep for the exam.

Does anyone have any info about CCNAs? Ive only just started researching them, how would they stack up compared to the MCITP:EA? Dunno, I'm just weighing up the options at the mo, gotta work out something to get my a$$ employed!:)

I know i should just take any job, but the entry stuff Ive been flat out told I'm over qualified on a number of occasions, and smaller businesses don't think I will stick around if they take me on, again due to my certs and degree....they are proving more of a hindrance then a benefit at the moment.....

Cheers

Trip
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    If you not getting call backs from your Resumes it may need to be tweaked I suggest going to the IT Jobs / Degrees section of this forum and post your resume there take out your personnel info.

The people on this forum are great and will help you tweak your resume to almost perfection and you would be sure to get lot's of call backs.

Good Luck
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tripolitrx wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, that would be exam 647 yea? I'm believe i need to do 3 exams to achieve this? all server 2k8, AD config, App infrastructure and config, Network Infrastructure and config?

I think thats the order, definitely sounds like it would point me in the right direction, quite an investment though... Do you think the Network plus would be a waste of time? maybe just go the MS route instead? Ive read lots of conflicting info about the value of Comptia certs, they are also pricey, around 260 bucks....alot compared to M$ certs....

I suppose my only concern would be the complexity of it, the win 7 upgrade was a tough exam, way harder then the previous XP certs, failed it first attempt, just a lil concerned the server certs are gonna blow my tiny mind lol Without a job its alot to invest in study materials and such just to prep for the exam.

Does anyone have any info about CCNAs? Ive only just started researching them, how would they stack up compared to the MCITP:EA? Dunno, I'm just weighing up the options at the mo, gotta work out something to get my a$$ employed!
    :)

I know i should just take any job, but the entry stuff Ive been flat out told I'm over qualified on a number of occasions, and smaller businesses don't think I will stick around if they take me on, again due to my certs and degree....they are proving more of a hindrance then a benefit at the moment.....

Cheers

Trip

Well, if you think a Microsoft exam is bad than I would stay away from Cisco icon_lol.gif I think that the MCITP:EA would be the best match what you wan to achieve. Also, in order to pass the CCNA you really do need access to Cisco hardware. Can you complete it without? Yes, but you won't be as knowledgeable as a student who had physical access to the hardware. I would avoid the Network+, it's just not as popular with HR.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just looking at your background I should say you are more employable than many people coming on here asking for help. What are you doing to find work? Put up your CV then people can help with that.
  • Options
    Hi guys, thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated, will defo follow up on that resume check, never hurts to have other opinions.

I think I will pursue the EA certs, they seem great for the direction I want to go in, just gotta scrape some pennies together for some resources:)

As for looking for work, mostly on job boards, monster, indeed, and a few others. Apply direct to larger companies see what they have available, even the odd craigs list ad if I'm feeling desperate lol

I'm also with a few tech agencies, nothing really useful from them though as yet, they were quick to sign me up though..Either the jobs just ain't there at the moment, or my resume really blows!:)

Cheers
    Trip