Options

Full CCNA route or ICND1 & 2

cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys/gals, I need your help deciding.

I've been CCNA certified before back in 2002, and since I had no use for it at the time, I let it expire. My company now wants me to get my CCNA with whichever route I decide to take to accomplish it ( the 2 test route or 1 test ).

I don't know how difficult the exam is today than it was back in 2002, but considering having a full time job and also having previous configuration knowledge, should I go the full blown CCNA 640-802 route, or ICND 1 & 2 route? I'm not sure if this is a vague question, but I guess I'm hoping to get someone that has taken the exam then and recently to give me a suggested route to take based on difficulty.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Although I only have ICND1 I am that given your previous CCNA most here would recommend going for the composite exam. If I were you I would pull the band-aid fast by doing the composite.
  • Options
    Joshuab009Joshuab009 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would grab it all at once also. Since you have a working knowledge of route/switch already, sounds like the smart play.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    depends on how much of the stuff you use in your job.

i suppose if you do a lot of configuration/troubleshooting with real equipment there is not much in ccna what should scare you.

on the other hand if you have a lot of topics that might need a lil training you might consider the 2 exam path because you can focus on the stuff you might have forgotten over the years.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    i am in the same boat as you. I have previously renewed my ccna twice via the old fashion 1 test method, but it has been a couple years since my ccna expired and I too have to renew for my new job. I decided to do the icnd 1 and 2 route, because it lets me concentrate more on the basics again (I can't believe how much I foregot in the last few years after I read teh icnd 1 book the other day) and it lets me make certain that I will have the time after work, kids and wife to study for just one portion of the overall ccna (ie. icnd 1)... get the wendell odom icnd 1 and 2 pack from amazon and read both, then do some labs. if you feel you are ready for the 1 test method then go for it, if not then concentrate on the basics and just hit icnd 1 and then later icnd 2
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    jkongbonmejkongbonme Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm new to CCNA arena, what is the weight between full exam and 2 exams? Is it time consumption of objectives wide? Thanks.
  • Options
    cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jkongbonme wrote: »
    I'm new to CCNA arena, what is the weight between full exam and 2 exams? Is it time consumption of objectives wide? Thanks.

If you are new to CCNA, I would recommend you go the 2 test route. It is time consuming to go the 1 test route, and there is quite a bit of detail you need to pay attention to. Personally, from what I see now, I have forgotten quite a bit over the years, and no matter what you learn out in the field, "The right answer is the Cisco answer" meaning, there are 2 ways to do something, but you need to pay attention to Cisco's way of doing configurations.