Options

Some Advice

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
I need some of advice from you all. I have been with this company for 4 months now doing Citrix Engineer / Windows Engineer work. I enjoy working with the other people but the owner of the company is very secretive. Last night we went to a meeting about the two companies merging and the entire staff at the present company I am at was there. The CEO of this company talked about how he treats his employees as family and how he started the business and they are looking to bring us aboard to make this work. My question is should I stay on this ship and see what happens or start looking for a new job? I have a wife and kids to feed so I can not take the chance of being out of work. It just bothers me that the CEO of the present company did not inform us what this meeting was about and how bad the company is hurting.
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    That's a tough one. Having the CEO of the company acquiring yours tell you he wants to keep you on could be a good sign. However you should look at the merger documents that were filed with the government, as they will spell out what is going to happen.

I jumped ship during a pending acquisition after reading the 500+ page merger document that was filed with the state. I felt my job security was questionable, and like you, I have a wife and kids to worry about. I ended up finding this great job I have now that allows me to work at home full time, and pays me a higher salary, within a month of starting my job search.

These things take time though. Usually there will be an expiration on the merger. So if you like your current job, you are probably safe to stick around a few more months before having to make a decision. You need to find out how far into the process they are, and when it is supposed to be complete.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think i'd apply around, just in case.
  • Options
    I have applied around and have three interviews setup. A few phone interviews too. I think I might just leave the ship. They are in the finally stages. They are both small private companies.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Better safe than sorry. Best of luck.
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I have applied around and have three interviews setup. A few phone interviews too. I think I might just leave the ship. They are in the finally stages. They are both small private companies.

Wait until you have a written offer letter and a confirm start date before turning in your notice. Good luck!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definitely look around, but I wouldn't jump ship just yet. My company aquired a smaller MSP about 9 months ago (they were only 4 people, one was part time). We kept them all (except the CEO as he was getting out of the business) and brought the part time guy on fulltime. I'd say it worked out for them as they received raises and it worked out for us in a couple of ways. The people brought on have a ton of skill, they know their customers very well (hardest thing is getting to know a new customer and their environment), the customers knew them, and we were able to have people shadow them so that we can send our techs out when needed. See what happens, sometimes it is a good thing...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would be very cautious, in any regard. I would initially lean towards leaving, but you never know... I have tried to use organizational change to my benefit a few times and I haven't really found as much success as I would have liked.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Just to let everyone know. I have had many call backs last week and four interviews next week. I am really looking forward toward interviewing.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Just to let everyone know. I have had many call backs last week and four interviews next week. I am really looking forward toward interviewing.

Good for you! Congrats.

Let us know how it goes and what the outcome of your current employer is.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    I went on first interview today. I really like the team there be great to get onboard. Time to follow up with email after second interview this afternoon with another company.
  • Options
    Congrats! Sounds like things are going well.
  • Options
    Thanks had a interview with another place. Both are interested in me sounds like. The second job pays by the hour, provides a company car, provides cell phone, and gas card. It is a Senior Network Engineer Consultant gig. I really like this positiong. 45 hours a week and anything over that time and half.
  • Options
    Thanks had a interview with another place. Both are interested in me sounds like. The second job pays by the hour, provides a company car, provides cell phone, and gas card. It is a Senior Network Engineer Consultant gig. I really like this positiong. 45 hours a week and anything over that time and half.

Was offer the job today. They pay by the hour and anything over 45 hrs is time and half. I really like this idea.
  • Options
    Was offer the other position yesterday. I have accept this position money is better and commute is closer.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on the new job! You turned your notice in yet?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Congrats on the new job! You turned your notice in yet?

Not yet want everything in writing first.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You should always be putting in applications, even when you are fairly sure your job is secure.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was offer the other position yesterday. I have accept this position money is better and commute is closer.
    Good to hear. Congratz!!!icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    Not yet want everything in writing first.

Exactly what I have done. I am giving my notice tommorow. If he lets me go like to let the other company know I can start sooner. Think this would be a problem?
  • Options
    WFMAHWFMAH Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see your situation is working out, but I say ALWAYS start looking as soon merger/downsizing talk starts. This gives you the initiative. You may be happy where you are, but what if you could make more money with better terms? You never really know until you check around, and merger/downsizing time is the perfect time to check around!
  • Options
    Exactly what I have done. I am giving my notice tommorow. If he lets me go like to let the other company know I can start sooner. Think this would be a problem?
    First off, congrats!

Second, no it shouldn't be a problem, they may not be able to start you the very next day, but I'm sure they'll be happy to get you in ASAP.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    First off, congrats!

Second, no it shouldn't be a problem, they may not be able to start you the very next day, but I'm sure they'll be happy to get you in ASAP.
    With that said I start tommorow.