Trying to build an internal knowledgebase/wiki... any suggestions?

Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
So i'm working for a small IT company of 25+ employees as a System Administrator. I've been here 2 months and there is 0 documentation for the help desk guys or for me concerning our infrastructure for our clients etc. Our helpdesk ticketing system is absolutely horrible, we will not be using the KB feature in it since we will be replacing it eventually.

What i'm looking for is some sort of Wiki that I can use for the company. I'd like it to be able to setup permissions for each account for the wiki to limit access to certain information.

Can anyone suggest any good free solutions for this?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have Windows Server 2008 then SharePoint Foundation is free.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I'm guessing you don't have a SharePoint server or you'd be trying to use it... ;)

You might be able to accomplish your goal with Drupal, although it isn't the easiest thing to setup if you've never used it before. It is pretty powerful once you get it running though. I run Drupal 7 on CentOS6 for my website. You can run it on a Windows server too, but I've only ever set it up on Linux.

The TWiki Community Release may do more of what you want right out of the box, but I've never used it.

Most of the free/opensource solutions out there are going to require some LAMP knowledge to get setup.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the best part about sharePoint is the ability to build workflows. If you can create rules in OutLook you can build a workflow. This lets you set up information management policies pretty easily. I've not seen anything like that in OpenSource solutions.
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tried to get away with MediaWiki, I liked it better but heads over mine preferred Twiki.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I think the best part about sharePoint is the ability to build workflows. If you can create rules in OutLook you can build a workflow. This lets you set up information management policies pretty easily. I've not seen anything like that in OpenSource solutions.

Drupal has a module to implement workflows...
    Maestro | drupal.org

I've never used it though. I'm sure SharePoint is much easier to setup for this.

I think Joomla probably has at least 1 workflow extension too.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also I probably should have clarified in my original post that i'm not JUST looking for free open source solutions... I could probably swing it in the budget for a $50-200 piece of software if it will meet our needs. Anyone have anymore suggestions?
  • Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually just watched the video for Confluence... thanks for the suggestion I think this will be PERFECT for what we need. Right now all we would need is 10 licenses, i'm sure if we utilized it correctly in the future I can get them to swing $800 for 25 licenses the more we grow!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We use Wikid & TWiki here. I prefer TWiki over Mediawiki, Wikid, etc.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We are migrating ours into a sharepoint wiki as a test. My only complaint is that pictures must be uploaded and then linked in. Our current solution and just use a quick copy paste and there it is.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Devilsbane

I believe in 2010 you just edit the page, click Insert, click Picture, and then you can upload images stright from your computer or anywhere on the network. I'm studying SharePoint 2010 on the side at the moment so I could be wrong but like 80% sure :D
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development