Options

*Welcome to the new TechExams.net!*

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
I'm pleased to introduce to you the new TE! Took a "tad" longer than expected, which was expected but it took even longer than that.

This upgrade was what we internally refer to as phase one of TEv4 and besides a major forum upgrade provides us with a better system for integrating additional features. Phase two will be spread out over the next several weeks and includes integrated blogs, a new test engine (including new practice exams) and more.

The forum upgrade by itself introduces a whole bunch of new features of which I will list some of the imo best:

- Much better editor (box I'm typing in now) that amongst many other things supports an auto-save draft feature.

- Notifications menu (top right of page, the counter) - Although it was available for our forums earlier, if you use Google+ you'll find it very familiar. Currently notifies you of new PMs, new rep, and friend requests. I'll add more in the future, perhaps when you get a reply to a subscribed thread.

- Better search - Not directly something you'll notice, but once we finish phase 2 of the upgrade you'll be able to search blogs, articles/TechNotes, and the forums in one search. [Search tables are still rebuilding, so results are incomplete for a while]

- New Mobile Style - A new mobile theme that supports iPhones and Androids, and soon other mobile browsers. There's an update coming that fixes a whopping 122 bugs so consider this one in a test phase.

There are still several things I need to do to but they don't require the forums to be closed. That includes some cosmetic changes as well but if you notice something unworkable or simply not functioning please let me know (either by posting here or PM-ing me). I hope you like the new design! Still needs some tweaking (including some font size changes) which I'll do this weekend.

Several maintenance routines and cache rebuilding might cause the site to respond slower than usual. I'm keeping a close eye on the server and we may have some additional down time during the weekend.

Johan

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    It looks so pretty!
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll be honest, I liked the former look of the forums. This one looks too fancy, but I guess I need to get used to it.

I like the auto-save feature in the quick-type box, love it. More than a few times, I've accidentally hit the backspace button and lost all my text.

@ Johan

- I cannot find the User CP button we used to have before, tucked away somewhere?
    - The add rep button kinda blends into the grey background when you hover your mouse over it, can we have a different colour please?
    - Can we add the English dictionary to the site? Colour is red-lined. I dont want to call it Color, I know this aint a big deal, just something I noticed.

And you know what Johan, you rock! YOU da man!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    - I cannot find the User CP button we used to have before, tucked away somewhere?
    It's the Settings icon left from Log Out at the top right of the page.
    - The add rep button kinda blends into the grey background when you hover your mouse over it, can we have a different colour please?
    Yes (that's one of the cosmetic changes I was referring to).
    - Can we add the English dictionary to the site? Colour is red-lined. I dont want to call it Color, I know this aint a big deal, just something I noticed.
    Isn't that FF / your browser?

Edit: I just noticed the first quote above overlaps the title - added to list.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fantastickoo Keep up the good work...
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    it looks sweet!

there used to be a "new posts" button, is that the same as "today's post" now?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

there used to be a "new posts" button, is that the same as "today's post" now?

Ah, I should have mentioned that. The What's New option (top left) basically replaces the "New Posts" feature but will also show new blogs entries and articles/TechNotes.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work so far so good!
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    That explains the "Internal Error 500" last night." :P

Looks good! What no one else uses any other forums that have upgraded to this version of vBulletin? A couple car related forums I'm on upgraded to this quite some time ago, so I guess I'm already used to it. :P Maybe I'm just a bit of a forum junkie.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nuts, it doesn't fit into my browser anymore.

Wouldn't mind it being a few shades greyer to be gentler on the eyes.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well this explains why the forums were down last night!

Change always disappoints me at first. When things move around I get concerned. But with all of the new features I think this should be a big win.

Way to go!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Nuts, it doesn't fit into my browser anymore.

Wouldn't mind it being a few shades greyer to be gentler on the eyes.
    Ok, changed the minimum width a little so it should fit in 1024x768 again (assuming that's what you have). I'll take a look at our second request after I get some sleep because right now even #ccc is bright.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well done, Johan!

I can't wait to see how TE looks on my phone.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wow. Not bad at all. I guess I would have to get used to it since the new layout is pretty much eye candy. :)
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I search for posts by my username I get
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Looks great on iPad finally.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally like the new look! IMO, change is good! :)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    sweeet! The new color scheme is way better than the old one. Nice job!
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    That explains why I couldn't get on the forums at midnight!... Looks good so far, keep up the GREAT work
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm going to disagree here, I'm not a fan of the "block" style. I like the much flatter style, easier to read.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Looks very clean. Good job 709-495.gif
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks great. Nice work.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Awesome job on the new look.

FYI - Logging in gives me a "Unknown redirect" error. The login happens fine, just seems to get confused on the redirect. Not a huge deal.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm liking it. And this is coming from an old crotchety guy who generally hates change. :D
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    umm the mobile site wont work on android 2.2 with the dolphin hd browser (the most popular one it beats out the normal one)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am finding that I cannot create new posts using Chrome or Firefox, only IE. When I try and create a new post with either Chrome or FF the editor will not show up, it just turns grey. Any thoughts on this? Other than that great job! But please try and fix the above, I hate using Internet Exploder.

Thanks!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I am finding that I cannot create new posts using Chrome or Firefox, only IE. When I try and create a new post with either Chrome or FF the editor will not show up, it just turns grey. Any thoughts on this? Other than that great job! But please try and fix the above, I hate using Internet Exploder.

Thanks!

Just tested and it works fine for me in FF 6.0.2.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Works for me. I do notice that it creates the post in the "quick reply" automatically.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What about chrome?
This discussion has been closed.