Options

Questions about my home lab.

nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just recently received my used 2600XM router. I am a total noobie to this so please bear with me. My current home network consists of 4 computers. 1 PC, 2 Laptops, 1 Netbook. The Laptops and Netbook are all wireless and get their signal from my ISP's CISCO DPC3825 cable modem/router. The modem also has ports built in for wired connections which I currently have my PC plugged in to. What I want to do is connect my 2600XM Router to the cable modem and have my PC connected to the router. I want my other Laptops/Netbook to stay connected to the wireless network. Is this even possible? Need some suggestions. Thanks!

N

Comments

• Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    sure. you can connect your router to one of the switchports. and the pc/another switch to the router. kepp in mind that you pc will be on another subnet and you need to configure a routing protocol / static routes to get to your internet router.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    Cool. Just wanted to make sure it was possible. So from my Router to the cable modem, I would use a crossover cable from the fastethernet port to a port on the cable modem. Then I would need to go serial from my Router to a Switch, and then Straight Cable from my PC to the switch?
  • Options
    the ethernetports on your internetrouter are switchports, so you need a straight thru to the 2600, from the 2600 you can go with another straight thru to a switch, or with a crossover direktly to your pc (if i remember my icnd1 stuff right :))
  • Options
    Ok, so here is my issue. On the back of my router I only have one Fast Ethernet port. I also have an AUX port, and a Console Port. If I use the FastEthernet port with a straight cable to go from my 2600 Router to the InternetRouter (cable modem) how do I then connect my 2600 Router to a switch? Sorry for such ridiculous questions, I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    First off - no need to apologize for asking questions - that's how we have all learned most of what we know. There are no stupid questions.

As to the issue with only one port - I THINK you will need to get another card for the router. You might be able to use the AUX port, but I'm not that far in my studies yet... I got an NM/4E (think this is the right name) that gives me 4 more ethernet ports on the router.

It sounds like you are about where I am in my studies - this is the fun part where you can play with your router and learn what works and what does not - and why it does not work.
  • Options
    todd is right. for a second ethernetport you would nee an adaptercard. just check on ebay. and if you are unsure which one to get feel free to aks here on the forums.

what you could do without getting new hardware is to connect gns3 to your real network. and use your real router as a dead end with no further devices connected...
  • Options
    Wall-EDWall-ED Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why don't you do a more exciting thing and buy a modem, then buy fastethernet interfaces for your 2600 and throw away your cable modem/router, and connect the new modem to your new router and that way you have a fully functioning pure cisco home network! but you won't have wireless so you should buy access point then.