Options

Finally my 1st IT interview

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
It has probably been around 6 months since I decided to pursue an IT career and now my chance is finally here! I was on vacation last weekend and I couldn't fall asleep so I decided to apply for 25 IT jobs. I received a phone call on Tuesday from a recruiter saying he was interested in me because "I had no experience but have IT knowledge". Hes been working with a manager who wants half experienced and half non-experienced employees to build his help desk team. I went that day to meet the recruiter, we talked for about 30 minutes and he said I reminded him of the last guy who was hired last week... Received a called later in the week from the recruited stating the manager would like to do a phone interview on Monday. When I met the recruiter earlier in the week, he said the last person who was hired..received a phone interview, had a face-face interview the next day and was hired on the spot. I hope this happens!

The recruiter said the manager wanted some non-experience people because a lot of experienced people will want to do more then tier-1 tasks, so they are more likely to leave within a short time span. Which I understand but he also did mention they like to hire within, which is a major plus to me. Another cool thing that was mentioned in the meeting, the company likes to have you sit with a mentor (who usually is a sys admin or network engineer) for about 1-2 hours a day, so you can see and learn from the more experienced individuals.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up but its my first taste of any type of IT job (it feels good), plus they are looking for non-experienced IT people..how rare?!

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice! I am on my first IT job now. Tier 1 helpdesk work. I've only been there for 3 months. When I first got the job, I was so excited. Now... I can see that in the near future I will be ready to get the hell off this desk. I'm still learning new things now so it's all good.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Congrats on the interview man! I am also one of the few on here who is new to IT and have had a job for 4 months now. I recently got promoted from Desktop Technician 1 to Help Desk Tier 1. You are right about not a lot of people wanting to do just Tier 1 support. I am happy with it because there is so much to learn and you really get to see how everything works. People who are higher up need more stuff to do than just us Tier 1 people.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I get the job, I'd be very excited to see how everything works and actually learning how to use the stuff Ive been learning the past 6 months. Ill just be happy getting the IT experience. I hope to get my CCNP within the next 6 months and move onto the CCIE ...so hopefully this only be a stepping stone
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I get the job, I'd be very excited to see how everything works and actually learning how to use the stuff Ive been learning the past 6 months. Ill just be happy getting the IT experience. I hope to get my CCNP within the next 6 months and move onto the CCIE ...so hopefully this only be a stepping stone

I wish you the best.