Options

Using 1st Edition of 70-642 book for Exam

MechsMechs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Just got word from work that they will be paying for all my MCITP exams, bar the books (at least I guess so). But we have the whole MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit, but not the R2 editions.

So I am just wondering if they are still suitable to pass the current exams?

Cheers

*edit, I really want to sit this by 7th of November, just not too sure how much of a rush it will be. I looked on the exam booking site and it seems there are no seats for Dec or Jan, so kinda weird. Is this normal practise?

Also how long did you guys take to study. I am coming up to 3 years of Win 02 & 08 experience as a admin, and a good understanding of IP addressing/intermediate networking skills (network degree + MSc in Computer Security)

Comments

• Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The book you currently have access to will give you strong skills for this exam, but you should look at technet for R2 study and labs:
    TechNet Virtual Labs
    Any extra R2 assistance you can get is more chances of you to pass. It is infrastructure you're dealing with at the end of the day, so study DNS, TCP/IP v6, DHCP, IPSec, Routing, but because it's windows server and microsoft exams - R2 becomes part of this inevitably.

Best of lucks.
  • Options
    MechsMechs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ivanr4g63 wrote: »
    The book you currently have access to will give you strong skills for this exam, but you should look at technet for R2 study and labs:
    TechNet Virtual Labs
    Any extra R2 assistance you can get is more chances of you to pass. It is infrastructure you're dealing with at the end of the day, so study DNS, TCP/IP v6, DHCP, IPSec, Routing, but because it's windows server and microsoft exams - R2 becomes part of this inevitably.

Best of lucks.

Cheers for the reply

I took a look at that link, went to Server 2008, but some of the stuff in there wasn't recognisable, I presume it will make sense after doing the book.

What I have decided, to save money, is to use the 1st version of the book until payday, then see if I can find the book 2nd hand or at the library. But it seems like I will have to buy it out-right. At least I can get the CDs and study guides too icon_study.gif
  • Options
    simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This free ebook from Microsoft should cover the R2 specific points you'll miss studying pre-R2 material.

windows_server_2008_r2_e-book.pdf