Options

Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    5hrs of labbing tonight! wohooo! i survived without drinking energy drink. I am SO TIRED! icon_sad.gif Time to sleep so I can work tomorrow. I cant wait for my paycheck at the end of the week. icon_moneyeyes.gif
  • Options
    I got home at 630pm. Took a shower and start labbing at 7pm while grabbing some bite. How sad is that? Im trying to lab till 12am. 5hrs of labbing for IPV6. The more I lab, the more im getting faster on the CLI. Lots of small tricks that will hopefully help me on the test. Back to labbing!
  • Options
    No labbing yesterday due to visiting my parents.
    No labbing today since Ill be at Cisco Socal User Group. A CCIE RS will talk about Big Data. Meets like helps me out when Im burned out. These guys are the ones that fuels my fire! icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    don't know of anything like this here in Melbourne, i struggle to find anyone that wants to talk about it.
    Never mind share.

I can dream. :)
  • Options
    It was great. The ccie was robert yee. He is a system engineer for cisco here in LA. Hes a ccie 11xxx#. I forgot his exact number. There was him , another ccie rs and another ccie security. Just listening to these guys makes me feel alive or pumped up! Makes me want it even more. Their always so humble unlike other network engineers that ive dealt with (not even a ccie). Also, i always ask them how their journey was and to give me some ccie advice. Lol

Why dont you start a cisco meet at melbourne? Lol
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    :) i have tried talking to some of these people, they either talk big then when i ask a question they have no idea and make a fast exit.
    the others, they are snobs and think they are to good to talk.

My dream is working with a bunch of like minded people just as obsessed of already have the CCIE as me :)
  • Options
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    :) i have tried talking to some of these people, they either talk big then when i ask a question they have no idea and make a fast exit.
    the others, they are snobs and think they are to good to talk.

My dream is working with a bunch of like minded people just as obsessed of already have the CCIE as me :)
    Maybe they are scared to look dumb. Its funny because the CCIE's i talked to, they usually tells me they dont know if i asked them a question that they dont know. lol However, they point me where i should look to find the answer. Makes me respect them even more if they do that to me and does not BS.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NOC, I feel your pain, sort of. Just going through the CCNA my fiance feels like she's being neglected and we argue, daily, about how much I study and that I live "In the internet".
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Maybe they are scared to look dumb. Its funny because the CCIE's i talked to, they usually tells me they dont know if i asked them a question that they dont know. lol However, they point me where i should look to find the answer. Makes me respect them even more if they do that to me and does not BS.

Nobody looks dumb by not immediately knowing the answer to something. Unfortunately people jump to conclusions. This is why so many technical people are afraid to hold their hand up and say 'Im not sure about this, can we work it through together'. The fear of perception.

I observed the same at University. In a lecture, the tutor would ask 'Is that clear?', everyone lamely nodded. Sometimes I would hold my hand up and ask for the clarification that I needed and suspected more than a few needed in the lecture theatre..I got a few 'hmm your dumb' looks from some students....so the lecturer clarified things at length, and all the students who turned to look at me when I had the balls to ask the question lots of people should have asked, hurriedly took notes. Lamers.

It's not stupid not to know or understand something. It's really stupid to pass yourself off as someone who does when you dont. Good CCIE's know this.
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    NOC, I feel your pain, sort of. Just going through the CCNA my fiance feels like she's being neglected and we argue, daily, about how much I study and that I live "In the internet".

hehehehe..dont do the CCIE then. 1000+ hours of study time wont sit well. Work for a Cisco Partner or Cisco and do the thing on office hours!
  • Options

The more you get into IT and study for certifications, the more fight you will get into. Its a matter of , will she stay no matter what? :)
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Nobody looks dumb by not immediately knowing the answer to something. Unfortunately people jump to conclusions. This is why so many technical people are afraid to hold their hand up and say 'Im not sure about this, can we work it through together'. The fear of perception.

I observed the same at University. In a lecture, the tutor would ask 'Is that clear?', everyone lamely nodded. Sometimes I would hold my hand up and ask for the clarification that I needed and suspected more than a few needed in the lecture theatre..I got a few 'hmm your dumb' looks from some students....so the lecturer clarified things at length, and all the students who turned to look at me when I had the balls to ask the question lots of people should have asked, hurriedly took notes. Lamers.

It's not stupid not to know or understand something. It's really stupid to pass yourself off as someone who does when you dont. Good CCIE's know this.

I agree. I dont expect CCIE's to have all the answers.
  • Options
    Toast to 13hrs of labbing security section. My girl went out today so Im labbing as much as I can.
    toast.jpg
  • Options
    The more you get into IT and study for certifications, the more fight you will get into. Its a matter of , will she stay no matter what? :)

It's going to be a long year for both of you on the study front. Dont forget to take time out for your personal life.
  • Options
    It's going to be a long year for both of you on the study front. Dont forget to take time out for your personal life.

yah. I told her what if i failed? lol she said keep going until you passed. Im expecting to fail this year and hoping to passed next year or so. Maybe 2 to 3 attemps. I think Im doing my best to get it the 2nd attempt like all the CCIE that I met.
  • Options
    My head hurts. Today is the day that I want to bang my head to the wall. Damn you CCIE!
    My emotions for the past hour: icon_scratch.gifcrash.gifbom.gificon_confused.gificon_study.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gifallout.gificon_pale.gifconfused.png
  • Options
    My head hurts. Today is the day that I want to bang my head to the wall. Damn you CCIE!
    My emotions for the past hour: icon_scratch.gifcrash.gifbom.gificon_confused.gificon_study.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gifallout.gificon_pale.gifconfused.png

It happens. You will likely feel the same way in a years time. Just keep going.
  • Options
    yah. I told her what if i failed? lol she said keep going until you passed. Im expecting to fail this year and hoping to passed next year or so. Maybe 2 to 3 attemps. I think Im doing my best to get it the 2nd attempt like all the CCIE that I met.

I bought her a Nintendo 3DS, she stopped bothering me when I was studying. Then she started to bother me again after she got stuck and needed a pokemon with "Strength". I sold her 3DS back to Gamestop as a "Breach of Contract" :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    It happens. You will likely feel the same way in a years time. Just keep going.

yah It usually happens at work but this time i was piss that it wasnt working. lol
  • Options
    I bought her a Nintendo 3DS, she stopped bothering me when I was studying. Then she started to bother me again after she got stuck and needed a pokemon with "Strength". I sold her 3DS back to Gamestop as a "Breach of Contract" :P
    haha mine has netflix and her girlfriends to go out. So far, she adapted to the lab hours.
  • Options
    5hrs of labbing today. Time to sleep for work tomorrow. icon_sad.gif There's still so much to learn. I need all the time in the world! icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    To achieve great things you need a plan and never enough time :) Keep it going.

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

As long as you hold this mentality, you're going to fail your first attempt. I look at it from a different point of view.

I expect to pass. I've made my peace with the concept of failing, though if I do, it'll still piss me off, but I'm not willing to throw away $1500 + travel expenses as a learning experience... that's an expensive lunch. If that's what it ends up being, I'll deal with that, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

Remember young Jedi, do or do not...
  • Options
    As long as you hold this mentality, you're going to fail your first attempt. I look at it from a different point of view.

I expect to pass. I've made my peace with the concept of failing, though if I do, it'll still piss me off, but I'm not willing to throw away $1500 + travel expenses as a learning experience... that's an expensive lunch. If that's what it ends up being, I'll deal with that, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

I agree with this. Train like you fight. If you are sufficiently prepared you have a shot at a first time pass. If you fail, you have seen the opponent and will be well set to bone up and take it out in a rematch. Prepare intelligently, study regularly. If you want a test without the expensive lunch try a mock exam. Much more cost effective and if you get splattered it saves you a pointless and expensive trip to San Jose..
  • Options
    5hrs of labbing today. Time to sleep for work tomorrow. icon_sad.gif There's still so much to learn. I need all the time in the world! icon_cry.gif

What labbing are you doing? Given your regularity for lab hours you would be well set to work through the 20 labs of INE Vol II by now. A full scale lab can take several sessions to get through but it's worth it. I kept a matrix on my wall in 2007-2008 and coloured in the squares as I went through the workbook, one square being a single Vol II lab. Good motivator and great to get all 20 filled in. With regular lab hours Vol II becomes doable, particularly if your foundation is strong which in your case it is.
  • Options
    To achieve great things you need a plan and never enough time :) Keep it going.
    true. I will keep going.
  • Options

I get your point. At the same time, I didnt want to tell myself Im going to passed and then I failed after the test. I expect less so I wouldnt be feeling too crush if ever i fail. lol
  • Options
    I agree with this. Train like you fight. If you are sufficiently prepared you have a shot at a first time pass. If you fail, you have seen the opponent and will be well set to bone up and take it out in a rematch. Prepare intelligently, study regularly. If you want a test without the expensive lunch try a mock exam. Much more cost effective and if you get splattered it saves you a pointless and expensive trip to San Jose..
    Which mock lab do you recommend?
  • Options
    What labbing are you doing? Given your regularity for lab hours you would be well set to work through the 20 labs of INE Vol II by now. A full scale lab can take several sessions to get through but it's worth it. I kept a matrix on my wall in 2007-2008 and coloured in the squares as I went through the workbook, one square being a single Vol II lab. Good motivator and great to get all 20 filled in. With regular lab hours Vol II becomes doable, particularly if your foundation is strong which in your case it is.
    Im following Narbik's WB. Im trying to finished his updated Advanced RS. Yeah, I have an excel sheet that I update for my status. My weakness are highlighted so that I'll be able to review it again.
  • Options
    Which mock lab do you recommend?

I found INE mocks pretty good.