Options

CCENT = me

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
Just passed the CCENT. got an 837, needing 804 to pass.... for having no lab it was pretty good...

I re-read the Sybex Review Guide for Network+, Todd Lammle's Sybex CCENT book, Exam Cram CCENT, and I bought The Bryan Advantage study guide. I used the TE router sim, and last night around 11pm I tried to mess around with myrouterlab.com but didn't get a lot accomplished.

Going to order some gear on Thursday when I get paid, set up a lab and roll on to the CCNA. Going to switch my degree program at WGU from Net Admin to IT Security.

I really like the testing software that comes with Sybex material. I tried to use the Measure Up software but I didn't like the font, too small. Never got a chance to use the tests that came with The Bryant Advantage, but I will for the CCNA..
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass and thanks for posting the study material!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    Going to order some gear on Thursday when I get paid, set up a lab and roll on to the CCNA. Going to switch my degree program at WGU from Net Admin to IT Security.

Congrats on the pass! Can you tell us why you're changing emphasis?
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratz Mike-Mike!!!icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    jkongbonmejkongbonme Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi..by the way congrate on CCENT, I just want to touch based what are the most difficult questions on this test as I'm currently preparing to take this test soon? Somethings like case scenarios, matching, sims or etc..? Thank you,
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass! Can you tell us why you're changing emphasis?

well, the Net Admin course is basically MCITP SA + CCENT, whereas the Security is primarily the CCENT, CCNA, and CCNA Security. I purchased the $25 study guide from The Bryant Advantage that includes all 3 of those Cisco items. I found a lot of stuff I learned in Net+ to be beneficial in my CCENT studies, but I think if I had immediately gone into CCENT mode after the Net+ I would have had an easier time. I plan on going past the B.S. and getting the Masters ISA at WGU. The Master's includes the CCNA.

so....

I figure if I'm eventually getting the CCNA, I might as well get it now when this CCENT stuff is fresh in my mind. But I figure it will take me a month or two, and that will eat up a huge chunk of my next term starting 10/1/11. So I decided to switch it over, this way the 2 months or so I spend preparing for the CCNA will be applied to my current degree program.

I had kicked around this idea already, and then the 2 threads that seem to be way pro-CCNA really put it over the top. Plus I'm ready to get off the Service Desk, so I think the CCNA would be helpful in marketing myself.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    jkongbonme wrote: »
    Hi..by the way congrate on CCENT, I just want to touch based what are the most difficult questions on this test as I'm currently preparing to take this test soon? Somethings like case scenarios, matching, sims or etc..? Thank you,

well the testing format was way different than any of the CompTIA or Microsoft tests. Sims and Testlets and Simlets... that took me off guard a little... but yeah, the sims were the worst for me since I didn't use any labs to prepare so it was all foreign since I had only seen it in still pictures or typed in a book. But I definitely will not be making that mistake in my CCNA studies.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great job Mike way to go brother!

Make sure you get that sweet CCNA under your belt. I'll swish down a 15 year Oban scotch if you pass your CCNA.
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Just passed the CCENT. got an 837, needing 804 to pass.... for having no lab it was pretty good...

I re-read the Sybex Review Guide for Network+, Todd Lammle's Sybex CCENT book, Exam Cram CCENT, and I bought The Bryan Advantage study guide. I used the TE router sim, and last night around 11pm I tried to mess around with myrouterlab.com but didn't get a lot accomplished.

I really like the testing software that comes with Sybex material. I tried to use the Measure Up software but I didn't like the font, too small. Never got a chance to use the tests that came with The Bryant Advantage, but I will for the CCNA..

Congratulation, Mike! BTW, if CCENT does not require lab, why you still use router sim?
  • Options
    Congratulation, Mike! BTW, if CCENT does not require lab, why you still use router sim?

you most likely should use a lab, I didn't really except one hour on myrouterlab and about 30 minutes on TE's router sim, because I had never used the CLI before.

I mean I basically just memorized as many commands as possible, but I think that's clearly not the best method, you should get used to having hands on experience.... which is what I will be doing for the CCNA
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    you most likely should use a lab, I didn't really except one hour on myrouterlab and about 30 minutes on TE's router sim, because I had never used the CLI before.

I mean I basically just memorized as many commands as possible, but I think that's clearly not the best method, you should get used to having hands on experience.... which is what I will be doing for the CCNA

Thanks for your reply! I'm thinking of purchasing real gear. Does CCENT/CCNA test CLI of switch or just router? I'm thinking of buying two routers only for CCENT/CCNA purpose. Not sure if that's enough....
  • Options
    jkongbonmejkongbonme Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for great advices Mike...I'm on my way setting up my lab as soon they arrived. Based on what you stated, I would scare the Sims format as well becuase I don't really familiar with these Cisco commands types...however your feedback and advice are definitely helping me to focus on hands on experience. Thank you for great advices.