Options

Squeezed at my job... what MS Certs?

creativeLiquidcreativeLiquid Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I began working at my current company about 7 months ago.
For xyz reasons, the previous SysAdmin is no longer with the company (since 8-9 months ago).

Now, the other guy that has a lot of knowledge, is no longer with the company for another set of xyz reasons.

We're a Microsoft shop, running Server 2008 Standard for Exchange, and Server 2003 Standard for ISA.

I would like to get to know these systems better, and be able to better manage them.
At the present, my 'management' is extremely simple stuff, for which I find answers using Google.

Which certifications should I take to start mastering these systems?

As an aside, we run almost all switches from Cisco (Catalyst 3750 because of the PoE for the Avaya VoIP phones).
Maybe I can also try and check out some Cisco certs?

So basically, what to study/read for the Microsoft certs, and which certs to shoot for?

I know this question must be very vague, yet I almost don't know where to start.
Users sometimes ask me questions and I give them the 'deer in the headlights' look.
Would like to be able to perform as many duties as possible.

Thank you for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

AJ
/

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Seems like you're a small shop, go for the MCITP: SA track (3 exams). It covers network infrastructure (DNS, DHCP, etc), AD, and high availability and best practices.

Exchange has its own track, and that's the MCITP: EMA. You can do that once you get your MICTP: SA
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Well you told us a little about what is running in your environment, but you did not tell us what YOUR responsabilities are.

If you're not responsible for any of the Windows systems, not much point in you going after the MS Certs. Same with the Cisco stuff, if you aren't responsible for them, no point in going after the Cisco certs.

So without knowing what is expected of you, it is difficult to answer your question.
  • Options
    Thank you for the quick reply!!

It's the biggest company I've ever worked for, yet it is probably considered small by USA standards.

The salesforce is approximately 150 employees.
    Office-side, on the biggest location (where I'm sitting at), we're probably around 50-60 people.
    Then we have three other satellite warehouses/offices, each with about another 15-20 users.

The server room is pretty cool... and we have two IBM AS/400 running god-knows-what.

Thank you for the information... I will start researching that as soon as I get home.
    :)

Have an awesome day!

AJ
    /
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Well you told us a little about what is running in your environment, but you did not tell us what YOUR responsabilities are.

If you're not responsible for any of the Windows systems, not much point in you going after the MS Certs. Same with the Cisco stuff, if you aren't responsible for them, no point in going after the Cisco certs.

So without knowing what is expected of you, it is difficult to answer your question.

Well, my responsibilities are to keep things running as much as I can.
    We have some outside consultants... yet their response time is horrible.

I would like to learn as much with Microsoft, so I can better perform my job duties (and expand on those duties).
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In that case why not do the MCITP:SA, than if you feel like learning more do the MCITP:EA. You will most definitely learn a lot from just studying and passing the exams.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Just a thought, since you are wanting to learn how to do your job better, why not ask your supervisor or HR dept if there are any tuition assistance programs. A lot of times these will cover certification bootcamps. All you have to do is convince your boss how it will benefit him. If you are able to do more, they don't have to pay the consultants to come in as often and there will probably be less problems all around if you know how things work.

Your environment sounds very similar to mine. I just got my CISSP exam paid for and am going to be getting my CCNA, PMP, and Linux+ before the end of the year. They will reimburse me up to $5250 per year for education, as long as I can prove that it will help me in my role and that I pass. Next year I am starting WGU. After grants, it will be fully paid for by my company.

If you can get them to pay for bootcamp, you can get 3 to 5 tests done in a week. Then they will have the MCITP: SA that they NEED. (stress how much they need it)
  • Options
    Thanks for the awesome replies guys... it helps a LOT!
    :)

I am checking for information online, and will figure out soon when will I take the exams.
    Obviously, I need to study.

Swild, I will talk with my boss about paying for the Certs.
    I think he'll be 100% for it, as he's never been a "penny pincher".
    If it comes to them not paying for it, no problem... I'll shell it out of my own non-deep pocket.

Thank you very much everyone... great to be here!!

AJ
    /
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    With an office/organization your size, I suspect there is a ticketing system in place. You can see where the "areas of improvement" (Or in some organizations "call drivers") are. If you can impact these statistics in a positive manner by addressing the issue(s), the rewards are endless. Knowledge, happier customers, less workload, more up time on and on they go.

You also have a great opportunity with the ability to be able to work with whatever you choose in a live environment. This is priceless experience as well as hands on "training" and is IMO always better then say a lab. This is a valuable resource that I am sure others would love to have.

Think it through, create a game plan & don't overwhelm yourself.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book